Newly diagnosed with type 2 and feeling unwell

Bittern

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I would much rather do what I did, got my weight, and fitness, sorted, no longer suffer with Sleep Apnoea. Am also on a third of my previous Insulin intake.

Exactly what I did, now I have no Apnea and much reduced Hba1c.

Motherhen2014

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People shouting while on their phones.
Hi there, I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes nearly two weeks ago. My HBA1C was 60 but I don't know if that is % or mol. My gp started my on Metformin 500mg twice a day straight away. I have been off work with severe fatigue and exhaustion for the last month.

I was also diagnosed the same week with severe obstructive sleep apnea and because of this I often sleep late. This means that I often wake up and just have lunch and miss breakfast. I saw the practice nurse this week and she said to have the metformin at breakfast and evening meal. I did this for two days and then the last two days I didn't. Last night and tonight, I think I have had low blood sugars. Last night, I had blurred vision that wasn't great but was noticeable, headaches and feeling tingly in my arms and hands. Tonight I've not had the blurred vision but the headaches, feeling very lightheaded and sweating at one point. Sometimes this seems to be after a meal but I don't know if it was because I didn't have dinner until 1830.

I did tell the nurse that some nights I felt I had low blood sugars and she gave me advice about my diet but said I didn't need a blood glucose testing machine as was not on Gliclazide. Does anybody have any advice and I've been thinking about buying my own blood glucose testing machine. If it would be a good idea, can anybody recommend a good one. I was thinking about going back to work as felt better earlier in the week but am not sure now. I've been worried about my sickness record and want to get back to work. Thank you for reading and if you have any comments. - Mike.
Mike I have had sleep apneafor years I like you used to have desturbed nights but my doctor reffered me the sleep clinic they tested and gave me a mask its something you get used to but it solved my problem. So adk your dicyir to reffer you.I do find it has alered my life grestly gor the good. Hope this helps you.

Chrissy.

jos64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi there, I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes nearly two weeks ago. My HBA1C was 60 but I don't know if that is % or mol. My gp started my on Metformin 500mg twice a day straight away. I have been off work with severe fatigue and exhaustion for the last month.

I was also diagnosed the same week with severe obstructive sleep apnea and because of this I often sleep late. This means that I often wake up and just have lunch and miss breakfast. I saw the practice nurse this week and she said to have the metformin at breakfast and evening meal. I did this for two days and then the last two days I didn't. Last night and tonight, I think I have had low blood sugars. Last night, I had blurred vision that wasn't great but was noticeable, headaches and feeling tingly in my arms and hands. Tonight I've not had the blurred vision but the headaches, feeling very lightheaded and sweating at one point. Sometimes this seems to be after a meal but I don't know if it was because I didn't have dinner until 1830.

I did tell the nurse that some nights I felt I had low blood sugars and she gave me advice about my diet but said I didn't need a blood glucose testing machine as was not on Gliclazide. Does anybody have any advice and I've been thinking about buying my own blood glucose testing machine. If it would be a good idea, can anybody recommend a good one. I was thinking about going back to work as felt better earlier in the week but am not sure now. I've been worried about my sickness record and want to get back to work. Thank you for reading and if you have any comments. - Mike.

The community here will give you far better information than the nhs. I have been diagnosed for a year & have had sleep apnoea for a few years. It all takes time to get your head around but it’s achievable.

Low carbs diet will help you lose weight, and help control the blood sugars. If the gp won’t give you a meter but one and use it to benchmark what you eat and how it affects you.

Sleep, get referred to sleep clinic cpap takes a bit of getting used to but worth it to wake refreshed and not dozing off all the time.

As with most things in life you will have to find what works for you. A year ago I was obese and my blood sugars were 98 I’m now just over weight, my last blood test was 38 and haven’t been on medication since month 3 after diagnosed all controlled with diet.

Good luck it’s a rocky road but that’s life

Reactions: Alison Campbell