Blood Pressure meds at night?

C

catherinecherub

Found an article on the front page of DCUK today.
It is relevant to me.
Taking meds at bedtime helps Blood Pressure.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/news/2011/Jun ... 13854.html

Found the more detailed article.

http://care.diabetesjournals.org/conten ... l.pdf+html

I have had high blood pressure throughout my adult life starting when it was discovered when I was 17. There was no way that this was obesity or food related as I was slim, healthy and took part in many sports. The Dr. seemed to think that I should thank my ancestors for this. :eek:

I have been on a variety of BP meds ever since. They would work for a while and then the problem would return so they were changed. After the last major overhaul a few years ago, it was recommended that I split the dose of one of the meds, (I take three), to include half at bedtime and things have remained stable ever since. Could be some truth in this after all. :D

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
When I first went on BP meds (I only take 5mg of Lisinopril once a day) the doctor told me to take them at night in case they dropped my BP too much immediately and made me feel faint! So I always have done.

Viv 8)

anniep

As my BP is always at the high end of normal - right at the top in fact - I might try this. My problem is remembering to take them at night :roll:

My practise nurse is not bothered that I am right at the top, all she says is 'doctor will be happy with that' but I am not. As every point raised is a risk as far as I am concerned. I have early retinopathy and part of the advice given is to control your BP, and this is something I can try, as the doctor has no suggestions....

C

catherinecherub

Hi Annie,
I woudn't tinker with your meds. without your G.P.'s approval.

There is only one of mine I can take at night as the other two work in conjunction with each other. It would upset the fluid balance and I would be in and out of bed all night.
High blood pressure should be treated in diabetics as this is another risk for eye and kidney problems.
Ask the nurse if she would be happy with your readings if she was a diabetic?

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
I was told to take two tablets in the morning. Since I now take three I spread them out through the day. I am now thinking of taking one in the morning and two at night after reading this.