Lowering carbs, aims and results

Numan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, T2 for a month, and trying to improve by reducing carbs and exercise. Over the last fortnight of testing I can see a pattern emerging that if I have any more than 50 g of carbs in a meal my bs at 2 hours is 3.5 to 4 higher than starting reading (5.5 to 6). If it’s around 25 g then the reading is within 0.5. Presumably this is my natural level at the moment, and that’s what I need to stay at. Is the idea to keep the bs level as smooth as I can, and how tight a range should I be trying to reach?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, T2 for a month, and trying to improve by reducing carbs and exercise. Over the last fortnight of testing I can see a pattern emerging that if I have any more than 50 g of carbs in a meal my bs at 2 hours is 3.5 to 4 higher than starting reading (5.5 to 6). If it’s around 25 g then the reading is within 0.5. Presumably this is my natural level at the moment, and that’s what I need to stay at. Is the idea to keep the bs level as smooth as I can, and how tight a range should I be trying to reach?
Sounds like you have a good strategy.. I try to keep mine sub 6 at all times.. I can only get very low (sub 4) when extended fasting but still feel ok when reaching that level so I guess my favoured range is 4-6.0. Hope that helps.

Reactions: Numan

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I have always found that the amount of carbs I can safely manage at each meal depends on the time of day. My strategy is zero carbs at breakfast other than a dash of milk in my tea, a few more carbs at lunch, and a few more than lunch at tea time. I don't snack between meals, unless you count cups of tea. As I am 5 years down the line on this journey I am no longer testing post meal unless I am curious. I rely on my fasting level, the level before my evening meal and at bedtime to gauge how I am doing. My target range for these times is 4 to low 5's.

Spl@

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Humans that only take.
I have always found that the amount of carbs I can safely manage at each meal depends on the time of day. My strategy is zero carbs at breakfast other than a dash of milk in my tea, a few more carbs at lunch, and a few more than lunch at tea time. I don't snack between meals, unless you count cups of tea. As I am 5 years down the line on this journey I am no longer testing post meal unless I am curious. I rely on my fasting level, the level before my evening meal and at bedtime to gauge how I am doing. My target range for these times is 4 to low 5's.

Same here although just the one meal. Plus black coffee and water. I am happy with sub 20 for the day but like lower.

Grazer

You're obviously doing well, and understand the idea of using your meter to work out how many carbs you can handle. 3 to 4 higher at +2 hours is too much; 0.5 is great. So those 25 grams of carbs is about your level it seems, although the type of carbs can effect this - low Glycaemic index (low GI) carbs raise your blood sugar levels more slowly and give our tired pancreas time to deal with them.

As a refinement, try testing for the peak levels you reach. This isn't at +2 hours; that's the time at which we should be back to normal. Peak levels occur at about 45mins to 1 hour after eating according to the type of food. Ideally, it's good to restrict this to 7.8mmols, the max level any non-diabetic would ever get to. If you're not there yet, and you are recently on your diet I note, don't worry; levels will continue to improve with time if you keep eating the right things.

By controlling the peaks, as well as ensuring we're back to normal after 2 hours, gives us a great shot at really good HbA1c levels when the surgery tests us.

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is the idea to keep the bs level as smooth as I can

Yes, that's generally the aim.

Unfortunately it's not always as simple as how many g of carbohydrate you eat. Other factors can influence things, such as time of day as @Bluetit1802 says, plus the type of carb and probably the weather and how many goals Chelsea managed to concede at the weekend :banghead:

It's a bit of journey, but quite soon you'll get the hang of it and it'll become second nature.