Milk

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What do we have against a glass of milk? Anything?

I checked the bottle of full fat milk and noted that it contains a meagre 4.7 grams of carbs per 100 ml. Am I missing something here? Getting ready to duck :D

Is it because a full glass would be 200ml?

Last edited:

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Depending on your daily allotment that’s a third to a half of it. I have better (to me) foods I’d rather use it on personally.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Full fat is the recommended preference is you have milk, it is the same with yoghurt!
Enjoy!

Emma_369

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I think it just depends what daily carbs you stick to. For those doing under 20g a day it may seem a waste using it up on milk. Personally I try to stick to under 60g a day. I can’t get used to cream in my coffee or tea so allow 20g a day straight away for milk (I don’t use that amount but always rather overestimate than under)

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Most of my life I have consumed and enjoyed drinking milk. It would be a shame to have to ditch it. But I see the point about having to make a choice between it and something else.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Most of my life I have consumed and enjoyed drinking milk. It would be a shame to have to ditch it. But I see the point about having to make a choice between it and something else.

How big are your glasses? 200ml isn't very much at all.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I love milk. Full fat milk. It is an important part of my protein and fats, as well as calcium intake. Enjoy it : )

Reactions: Listlad

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What do we have against a glass of milk? Anything?

I checked the bottle of full fat milk and noted that it contains a meagre 4.7 grams of carbs per 100 ml. Am I missing something here? Getting ready to duck :D

Is it because a full glass would be 200ml?

Because it isn’t needed and no other mammal has milk after weaning! If you like it (in moderation)fine,but certainly no requirement after weaning.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Because it isn’t needed and no other mammal has milk after weaning! If you like it (in moderation)fine,but certainly no requirement after weaning.
I do enjoy a glass of milk. For sure.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’d just rather eat my carbs than drink them! :)
I do use unsweetened coconut or almond milk in coffee, no carbs in the brands I use.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Because it isn’t needed and no other mammal has milk after weaning!
Maybe not needed, but all mammals I've ever had in my household have had it and loved it. They turn into sneaky thieves if there's milk to be had, regardless if they're cats, dogs or rats.

D

Deleted member 308541

So following your train of thought, we do not need cheese, cream, or yoghurt in our diet then.

To keep on topic, I have not drunk milk since 1974 when I moved to Mt Isa, because of the condition of the milk it arrived in.

Grazer

Listlad, if you do want to drink a little milk, try some Arla Lactofree. Tastes exactly like normal milk to me, but is half the carbs of normal milk. Still don't drink it by the pint, but your 200 mls will only be 5.2 grams carbs
You can get it at Sainsburys

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Listlad, if you do want to drink a little milk, try some Arla Lactofree. Tastes exactly like normal milk to me, but is half the carbs of normal milk. Still don't drink it by the pint, but your 200 mls will only be 5.2 grams carbs
You can get it at Sainsburys
I see. I will have to a trip to Sainsbury’s. I need to get some courgetti sphagetti too.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Maybe not needed, but all mammals I've ever had in my household have had it and loved it. They turn into sneaky thieves if there's milk to be had, regardless if they're cats, dogs or rats.

Here in the UK we are advised not to feed cats with milk. Lactose is bad for their digestion, apparently. No idea about rats

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Here in the UK we are advised not to feed cats with milk. Lactose is bad for their digestion, apparently. No idea about rats
I do not feed them with it, they steal my tea with milk when I'm not watching!
But as far as I understand the issue is diarrhoea with dogs and cats should they be intolerant. By now I'm pretty sure none of my pets are intolerant to milk, so they occasionally get some as a treat. Not when other peoples' pets are visiting, though, to be safe :)
The same goes for peanuts. Apparently very dangerous to dogs, as they might be as allergic to them as some humans are. I didn't know, so now I'm sure they aren't allergic to them.

M

Member496333

Not a big consumer of milk. I only drink herbal teas and use cream in coffee. Cereals are on my ban list, and if I’m mega thirsty I’ll drink a glass of water. If I were to drink milk it would be whole fat. Not particularly because of the reduced carbs, but just because of the increased fat.