unpleasant urine !

Virginia

I was diagnosed last year with Type2.,The problem 've been having for over 2 months now is really unpleasant smelling urine:-S l mentioned it to our Practice Nurse who just said to drink plenty of water,something 've always done anyway.Sometimes my urine is soo very dark, something l also mentioned mentioned to the nurse,! Even my hubby has noticed how unpleasant it is.l did wonder if it was the Metformin but its only been noticeable since April.Any suggestions welcome Thanks.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Have you been losing weight by any chance ? Next time you are at the doctor's/nurse take a urine sample and ask them to test for ketones. Ketones leave the urine dark and can have an unpleasant smell.

tighthead3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Having diabetes.
Hi Virginia,I have also noticed the same problem with my urine that you have described, I also thought it was medication(metformin) as well,however I see there has been a reply asking if you have been losing weight recently as ketones could be causing the problem. As I have recently lost about two stone I have decided to go and ask for my ketones to be checked, perhaps you should think about this as well. All the best.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Along with what Sue has said I would take a urine sample into your surgery and get it analysed. Certain foods can also make urine dark and smelly along with dehydration, just be sure to drink ample fluids although you say you are doing this already.

Nigel

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Hi Virginia

Definitely ask to have your ketones checked. If you are on a very low carbohydrate diet some ketones in the urine are normal, but it's always worth checking.

'Plenty of water' is at least 2 litres a day, as well as any tea/coffee that you might get through.

Let us know how you get on.

Viv 8)

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hiya.Why is it ??? when you go to the GP's surgery with raised keytones next day they do the test again n keytones are normal again!!! this has happened to me twice, done test night before strip goes dark brown go to doc's next day n do test again n I am pale green then!!! doc n nurse just say come back if it goes brown again.... its like going dentisit with toothache thats kept you up all night you're worn out sitt in dentists waiting room n it vanishes !!! blessed relief you go in get dental treatment n charged a bomb for the vanished culprit.... my urine stinks in 1st wee of the morning n the last few of the day. Inbetweeny these its not as strong then. Anyone got any angles on these? Anna.x :?

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
I can only speak for ketones produced by low-carb dieting, in my own case . . .

I found it quite difficult to find ketones in my urine, testing first thing in the morning. One day I tested mid-afternoon and there they were! I can only conclude, as far as ketosis is concerned, that it's possible to slip in and out of it depending on what and when you eat, and what and when you test.

Maybe have a day and test every time you go? Easiest when you're at home all day.

Don't forget that, on a very low carb diet, it is quite normal to show some ketones. This is ketosis - burning fat 'cos you're not eating enough carbs to produce enough glucose for the body to use.

Ketoacidosis is the very dangerous one; this is associated with high blood glucose levels. If you have ketones in your urine, high bgs and feel ill, get to the doctor asap.

Speaking personally only, I don't worry about ketones in my urine if everything else is okay. But then, I rarely show more than 2 shades up on the Ketostix. The main thing is to do whatever you feel comfortable with, and if in any doubt, go to the doctor.

Viv 8)

C

catherinecherub

Virginia said:
I was diagnosed last year with Type2.,The problem 've been having for over 2 months now is really unpleasant smelling urine:-S l mentioned it to our Practice Nurse who just said to drink plenty of water,something 've always done anyway.Sometimes my urine is soo very dark, something l also mentioned mentioned to the nurse,! Even my hubby has noticed how unpleasant it is.l did wonder if it was the Metformin but its only been noticeable since April.Any suggestions welcome Thanks.

Hi Virginia,

You may have this problem sorted by now. You need to be seen by your G.P. There is nobody here that can diagnose.
Here is an article that gives possible causes.

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/smelly-u ... males.html

Hope you get it sorted and get back to normal. Good luck and let us know how you get on as your experience will help another member who is faced with this.

benniesmum

Dislikes
My Doc right now
Please go back and ask for help!

I started at 10.7 and was put on metforming immediately. It took about 3-4 weeks to get used to it, but it was well worth the pain. Drinking lots of water also reduced the smelly urine and made me feel MUCH better.

PS. some vitamins can change the colour of your urine, especially Vit C which makes it florescent yellow!

Good luck.