A Typical Binge Disorder

I’ve been diabetic for almost 13 years and I’m now 22 and still really struggle with my weight, appearance and relationships with food. Part of me believes if I didn’t have type 1 diabetes and a fear of a fatal death from this that I would be anorexic or bulimic.
My eating disorder is not one that’s commonly hard of and I just wanted to know if anyone had similar experience or ways to deal with it.
When I feel like I want bad foods or unhealthy foods I buy sweet things and chew and lick them and spit them out.
It’s almost like an addiction and it’s really making my blood sugars run high despite taking insulin because I’m never sure what’s going in my blood stream.
Help:(

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello and welcome @racheljokelly88

I have to admit i’ve not heard of this, have you been able to talk to anyone about this so a family friend or nurse ?

Is there anyway you can remove this temptation so don’t buy this type of stuff ?

I know living with t1 can cause anxiety so in some respects it sounds like this is a coping mechanism for you, if you could lighten the burden and talk to someone like your nurse about what’s going then it would help you a lot. Sadly life throws many other things at us on top of t1 and coping with life’s many pressures can be wearing, do you remember when this eating disorder started, so what triggered this ? How do you feel when you are experiencing this ?

bumblebee95

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I’ve been diabetic for almost 13 years and I’m now 22 and still really struggle with my weight, appearance and relationships with food. Part of me believes if I didn’t have type 1 diabetes and a fear of a fatal death from this that I would be anorexic or bulimic.
My eating disorder is not one that’s commonly hard of and I just wanted to know if anyone had similar experience or ways to deal with it.
When I feel like I want bad foods or unhealthy foods I buy sweet things and chew and lick them and spit them out.
It’s almost like an addiction and it’s really making my blood sugars run high despite taking insulin because I’m never sure what’s going in my blood stream.
Help:(
Hi, thanks for reaching out. I too have an eating disorder with diabetes. As a child with t1d, i had a strict diet encouraged by healthcare professionals and i wasnt allowed to eat anything sweet so i developed the tendancies you describe and continued into my teenage years until i 'swapped' this behaviour for other ED behaviours. I believe it stems from our relationship with food, nurtured by our doctors, nurses and families.

Sending you hugs and if you need to talk i am here, I am not the most complete of people, but the offer is there ❤

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
It is common for t1 to lead to food anxiety and rituals because of the central role it has in our lives due to matching insulin. Some healthcare providers are aware that the constant weighing and quizzing over dietary intake does not help.

Millimoi

Yes, I have this exact issue but far worse. I have suffered from it since 2013 and have had very little help so far. My best advice is get help, get help now before it has a chance to get worse. My life is devastated by this eating disorder and I pray you don’t have to go through the same