A Peculiar Question

Type-2-Havent-A-Clue

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had a question put to me on a questionnaire the other day and I genuinely was stumped as to how to answer.. so I’ll put it to you!

When you think of diabetes what word/emotion immediately stands out to you?

K

Knikki

Butt monkeys

Similar to Jim Lahey, word that is, but like his later comment starts with B and ends in S :hilarious:.

No offence Jim :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Rokaab

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
PITA
(Ok, I realise its an acronym rather than a word, but I figured it would count)

Reactions: SimonCrox

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
No one word stands out to me, it depends on the kind of day I'm having and over the time since diagnosis I have run the gamut of emotions. Today, right now? The words/emotion would be 'not unduly fearful'.

Ask me again tomorrow after seeing the GP (to get yet another lecture on statin treatment) and the word will probably be one that is banned by the forum software.

M

Member496333

Just FYI my real word was unpublishable on a family forum, but it also started with a B, and ended in a T.

:shifty:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I kind of brace myself, and wait to see what mindset the person has.

Are they T1, T2, T3? Low carb, high carb, Healthy Plate, I-eat-wot-I-like-and-don't-you-dare-infringe-my-civil-liberties-by-implying-my-eating-ain't-perfick.

Are they young, old, fit, unfit, active, sedentary? Any other health issues? co-morbidities? Religious or ethical beliefs affecting diet choice and treatment options?

What medications are they on?
What previous experiences have they had with doctors, nurses, consultants, emergency services, family history...

And are they in the slightest bit interested in talking about D?
Most people aren't. Or they KNOW EVERYTHING about D already and want to lecture me. Interminably.

Gotta respect all that. Except for the lecturing. Can't be bothered with that.

Basically, I avoid the subject completely, with anyone who hasn't chosen to be on this or other forums, unless they already know my interest in the subject. I certainly don't discuss it with health care professionals. I haven't met many who are interested in discussion. We have had a few exchanges of view, though. And several HCPs have gone out of their way to avoid discussion, and lecture instead.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had a question put to me on a questionnaire the other day and I genuinely was stumped as to how to answer.. so I’ll put it to you!

That's a hard one... Frustration, I think. Mostly because I didn't have to get this condition if my docs and dieticians had been a bit more clued in and had let me know about the prediabetes and hadn't perscribed low fat high carb... Also frustrating because I see a lot of people come in here all lost and scared, and I know how they're feeling, while they should've been getting proper information from the professionals, rather than get sent home with nothing more than a "Here's a life-threatening condition, it's yours now, good luck!". Frustration also because the diabetes organisations here in the Netherlands think putting a recepy for a high carb high tea in the mag and on the cover is a good idea. Because carbs are good.:shifty:

Yeah. Frustrated. If not downright p***** off.

(And you know what? "Empowered" would apply too. Because it's the only condition I have a say in, the only one I have control over. No thanks to the people who were supposed to help me.)

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sugar! This has become my favourite expletive over the years.

D

Deleted Account

For me it is "Life".
As there is no cure for type 1 diabetes, I just consider it part of me I will manage for the rest of my life.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Nuisance

Just something else to factor in to every day life.

hooha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
long queues.

Anger that UK USA Australia official organisations promote high carb diets

Reactions: Flora123

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Anger that UK USA Australia official organisations promote high carb diets
You might as well add 'Danish' to that list.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Butt monkeys

Similar to Jim Lahey.

I don't think it nice to compare Jim with Butt monkeys he's a very nice bloke.

By the way the word for me that comes to mind I am unable to post as when last I did I got moderated or should I say redacted and my post was eradicated.

Reactions: Knikki