quitting smoking

louiseb

I successfully stopped smoking for about 3 months then started again when i was quite stressed and have been smoking on and off for the last 3 months, however I have not had a smoke for nearly 2 weeks now and im determined to stop for good this time and tips or advice would be greatly received.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
I never used to smoke much during the day but could get through half a packet in the evenings. Going to the pub was the worst temptation - but of course you can't smoke there now, can you?

At home watching TV or whatever, I took up knitting. I found that the smoking urge was as much wanting something to do with my hands as anything else, and I defy anyone to smoke and knit at the same time :lol:

You can do it, Louiseb - my pattern was a bit like yours, but I managed. I've not had a cigarette for about 11 years now.

I did eat sweets to begin with - I suppose it would have to be veg sticks, now.

Viv 8)

anniep

I know some people who ha eused the NHS no smoking clinics very succesfully, unfortunately they were't around when I was giving up smoking 20 years ago.

One lady I know went after she had given up for 2 months already, but needed some support and she says they are the greatest help to her.

Gappy

Dislikes
hypocrisy, prejudice and the corrupt legal system (never got compensation I deserved from an accident)
If only I could play a recording of my Dad's cough here that'd put you off smoking!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi louise,

I can't offer any advice as I have never smoked, but if you want motivation then I'll tell you something I observed last week.

I was in hospital for a few days undergoing tests for angina, the cardiac ward was split into rooms with 5 beds in each, the room I shared contained 3 smokers all aged between 45-70 years. On the ward rounds there isn't much privacy except that they pull the curtain round the beds, not being nosey but you could hear the cardiac consultants loud and clear and each and every-time the advice they give to prevent future damage from CVD was to stop smoking immediately, although speaking with some afterwards this wasn't the first time they had been told this.

As I say not being a smoker it's hard to comprehend how hard it is to stop, but if you google smoking and CVD/strokes you will find many a good reason to continue and extend your 2 weeks into months and years. Good luck! :)

Nigel

Leeds Lass

Hi Louise

I stopped smoking in March with the help of an electronic cigarette. I've smoked for about 15 years and tried to stop before but only lasted a couple of weeks but with this everytime i get a craving just have a puff on the electric cig and i'm ok again.

It's saved me tons of money and helped me to say de-stressed!

LL x

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi louise
I know it is hard to stop smoking but it is well worth it for loads of different reasons but just remember that it is YOU that puts the fag in your mouth and lights it :evil:
CAROL

C

catherinecherub

All you need to know about e-cigarettes.
http://howdoecigswork.org/do-electronic ... -you-quit/

I wish you well louise. :| Most people I speak to make sure that they keep their hands active at the time that they know they will smoke the most. Is there a time when you smoke more than another? Evenings perhaps when you are relaxing? You could take up a hobby like crochet, knitting, painting or go for a walk as you won't want to be seen with a fag on in public.

Don't be hard on yourself and if you try not to think about it then you will fancy one. Change your mindset and say something like, "I know I want a cigarette and I know that I can have one but I have promised myself that I am going to quit so what would be the point? That means that I would have to start this process again and again".

louiseb

thanks so much everyone the replys they have really motivated and Im going to buy some
e-cigarettes today as the thing that I find most difficult is needing something to do with my hands and these e-cigarettes seem ideal.
thanks catherine for the link :D

Gappy

Dislikes
hypocrisy, prejudice and the corrupt legal system (never got compensation I deserved from an accident)
If you're in a pub do let staff know it's an electric cigarette or they'll get their bouncers to kick you out for smoking!

raydavies

It's not easy to quit, as Mark Twain said: “It's easy to quit smoking. I've done it hundreds of times.”

That was the case with me until about 12 years ago when I stopped for good. I used one of those plastic imitation thingies. One day I thought I'm not an ex-smoker, I'm not giving up smoking - I don't smoke! I'm a non-smoker!

All the while you think in terms of wanting a fag but denying yourself, you're open to temptation. Put fags out of your mind. You don't smoke and never will!!

It really is easy compared to food/carb/sugar addiction - you don't find the Supermarket shelves full of cigarettes and you don't open the fridge door and find an array of fag packets.

Good luck, stay with it, you won't regret it.

Ray

arthu r

don't give up trying l tried loads of times but was determined and l got there eventually. it's over 6 years now since l gave up.the best thing l did

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Being told I had bronchiectasis (lung disease) as well as asthma and mild emphysema worked for me, stopped there and then and have never smoked since, 4 years now but I wouldnt recommend that method to anyone else :?

I wish you lots of self control and a little luck in your quest to become a smoke free zone Louise :)

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hiya louise, do you know what has - is making you stressed ? Any idea ? Anna.x :)

Ka-Mon

Dislikes
Childish people who start childish arguments. KNOW-ALLS who claim they can help people to control their Diabetes without knowing their medical back ground.

BLINKERED people who think their way is the ONLY way.

Eating LOADS of SAT FATS. I HATE SAT FATS.

Did I mention I dislike KNOW-ALLS.

People desperate for attention and recognition.

People who get angry when they don't receive anything in return for helping others.
Gappy said:
If you're in a pub do let staff know it's an electric cigarette or they'll get their bouncers to kick you out for smoking!

Apparently there are some that light up Green instead of Red and bar staff know about them.

Leeds Lass

The e-cigs are brilliant, I ordered mine and then all my friends and family that smoked ordered one and all of us have stopped smoking now! I'm going on holiday in August so i've set a goal to stop using that when I get back but I also know that it's there should I really need it.

LL x

louiseb

well I still have not had a smoke and it is getting a bit easier, im going today to buy the e-cig
I found a shop on the net about 10 miles form that sell them.

Leeds Lass

Yes there are some that light up green but to be honest if your trying to stop then smoking somewhere where you wouldn't normally smoke defeats the object. I never use mine inside a pub I go outside like I would have done if I was smoking a real cig.

LL x