Victoza and flying

Mark411

Hi,
Starting Victoza tomorrow.
Daughter is getting married in Cyprus in May.
Whats the best way to fly with victoza as it needs keeping cool?
We have a fridge in the hotel room so no worried there.
Also what do I do about the used needles whilst out there?

Thanks

chaoticliloj

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Hi, it depends who you’re flying with. If you’re only going while using 1 pen (my pens lasted 16 days each for 1.2) then you can have it at room temp, but if going where you’ll need to have more than 1 pen, you could ask if the flight crew have any ice and a bucket - this is what I did with Virgin when I flew to America. It can’t go in the hold so you’ll need to have it in your carry on, and I had a letter from my doctor explaining I needed to have it and the needles. I also took a repeat script with me. I never had any issues and also took it to Croatia with me last year.

Reactions: Mark411

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,
Starting Victoza tomorrow.
Daughter is getting married in Cyprus in May.
Whats the best way to fly with victoza as it needs keeping cool?
We have a fridge in the hotel room so no worried there.
Also what do I do about the used needles whilst out there?

Thanks
First off, congrats on the upcoming nuptuals! Secondly, there's bags over on Myabetic where you can store a pen or something in an insulated compartment with a coldpack. (when they ask you about what you want to store, just add insulin in the questionaire. It's something that needs to be cool, potay-to, potah-to, insulin, victoza. ;)) https://www.myabetic.com/collections/product-finder-results/products/jay-diabetes-sling Hope it helps!
Jo

chaoticliloj

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
As you’re starting it now, just note down when you start your pen and then when you finish your pen when you get to your full dose (as the first week is normally half dose) and it’ll tell you how long the pen will last. If you have a new pen almost near the start of your trip, in theory you should be fine, but if you are worried I’m sure the crew will be used to people flying with insulin (which does need to be kept cool) and they should give you some ice. Have a great time

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Frio bags would probably work - I use one for insulin when flying.

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
I wouldn't worry about keeping it cool. The flight is only ... what, 2 hours, and you're only going to be away for a week, right? I never keep the pen that I'm using in the fridge, only the new ones I haven't yet started, and since I went down to 0.6mg they last forever.
Edited to add, the used needles you can keep in an empty strip container till you get home.

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
What do you mean by strip container?
The small containers that you get your strips for your BG meter in - assuming that you have a meter ...? Even if the flight is 5 hours it's still room temperature, if you bring it on board in your cabin luggage. If you plan to do that it's a good idea to have some sort of a certificate or doctor's letter stating that you're diabetic and need to bring your meds and sharps with you.
Another reason why I keep the pen that I'm currently using at room temperature, is that apparently injecting yourself with very cold fluid is very uncomfortable.

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
doc says I dont need one
Sounds more like you don't need that doc :banghead: I use mine for making sure that my blood glucose is right where it should be, for checking which foods my body can cope with and for generally keeping myself on track and motivated. I highly recommend that you self fund and get yourself a meter, but watch out. Most meters are cheap, but the test strips can be pricey, depending on which brand of meter you get.
I see you're very new here, did I even welcome you? :)
Edited to remove tags. See you already got them in another thread.

Last edited: