Who on here eats a ' normal diet"......

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I have said this so many times................... reduced carbs terminology, for me, is more except
I would like to see an accepted definition of hi carb, low carb, no carb etc etc as it is like a soft and hard Brexit at the moment, a little ambiguous on the detail. :D

Because most people have a different view point regarding what the number's are. Some find 50, too high, someone else, on the low side. It can be confusing and can cause ' fall out's' regarding the subject.
I prefer 'Reduced carbs' or even a 'Reduction in Carbs'

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
There are no binaries. It’s all sliding scales and twisting knobs. Much like this;

fingers-move-the-fader-sliders-sound-mixer-close-up-mixing-desks-audio-production-consoles-consoles-soundboards-boards-mixers-electronic-graphic-equalizer-audio-sound-mastering_n5zzlsbt5l__F0000.png
So if we were to pose the question, what is low carb, we would probably see many different answers. In fact I think this has already been done.

But I am suggesting there should be a sliding scale. Such as low, very low and next to nothing or something along those lines. I would hope that the NHS could kick it off and it be then used to help prescribe differing diets according to various (diabetic) needs, assuming that things change and the NHS gets behind the low carb idea.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have said this so many times................... reduced carbs terminology, for me, is more except

Because most people have a different view point regarding what the number's are. Some find 50, too high, someone else, on the low side. It can be confusing and can cause ' fall out's' regarding the subject.
Yes. This encapsulates my thinking.

M

Member496333

So if we were to pose the question, what is low carb, we would probably see many different answers. In fact I think this has already been done.

But I am suggesting there should be a sliding scale. Such as low, very low and next to nothing or something along those lines. I would hope that the NHS could kick it off and it be then used to help prescribe differing diets according to various (diabetic) needs.

Yeah I understand what you mean but as we are all individuals it’s probably best just to find what works for you. For example, I believe a commonly used definition of low carb is 130g. That’s probably more than I get through in a fortnight :hilarious:

Keto is generally thought to be around 50g but some prefer 20g. Besides green veg, I just avoid them all like kryptonite and so don’t count them at all. As you can see there is no one size fits all. A scale is meaningless :cool:

Indy1282

Thanks for the reply!

For the record, I generally eat healthy and try to keep carbs to under 100g per day.

I would eat yogurt and fruit for mid morning.
Lunch - Salad, frittata, pasta or a sandwich Maybe some dark chocolate after.

Dinner - chicken curry, spaghetti bol, jacket potato, fish and veg/rice.

Generally i keep good control but find I get a spike a lot later.

For example last night I had pasta,pesto with cheese at 7pm. BS was 5.6 before eating. Took a split bolus as I normally do for pasta so half just before I eat and the other half about an hour after. Went to bed on 8.1 woke up at 13.6.

I'm not wearing my libra at the mo as I have an x ray this week do cant see where I spiked.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I would like to see an accepted definition of hi carb, low carb, no carb etc etc as it is like a soft and hard Brexit at the moment, a little ambiguous on the detail. :D

There is an official definition on this site but it differs massively to what individuals class as low/medium/high. I think that is because people tend to tailor it to the amount of carbs they can balance with their own management.

Reactions: Robinredbreast

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
There is an official definition on this site but it differs massively to what individuals class as low/medium/high. I think that is because people tend to tailor it to the amount of carbs they can balance with their own management.
But then should there be low and ultra low?

Reactions: KK123

Heathero

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If u like sandwiches gluten free bread can have about 11 g a slice . Got mine from Tesco. Still carbs but less.

Glucobabu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Normal!?
Well I eat what everyone else is eating in the house. Just I weigh mine out and count carbs. I will not shy away from anything. As long as I carb count correctly and give myself the correct amount of insulin then, the same as @Knikki, nothing is off limits :)
It is indeed refreshing to hear from Type 1s who eat reasonably normally and manage to attain good BG control. To the diehard low carbers: Everything in moderation is fine.

Glucobabu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

‘Reduced Carbs’ sounds just right to me.

Colin Crowhurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
when first diagnosed (dec 2018) I was given targets of 40-50g carbs for breakfast ; "reduce" processed foods and carbs for my lunch and 50-70g for evening meal. I spent about 5 weeks sticking to this (if you also ignore a few days at Christmas!!) I returned to work and found with some physical work I could not stick to these without rising a hypo (not good with driving too!) so have gradually increased carbs to counteract physical activity.... we are all different and eating to your meter readings seems to make the most sense to me at the moment, I am achieving 5-10 mmol more than 90% of the time

Reactions: Fairygodmother

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There are no binaries. It’s all sliding scales and twisting knobs. Much like this;

fingers-move-the-fader-sliders-sound-mixer-close-up-mixing-desks-audio-production-consoles-consoles-soundboards-boards-mixers-electronic-graphic-equalizer-audio-sound-mastering_n5zzlsbt5l__F0000.png

This looks more to me like the pictorial definition of intermittent fasting. ;) (I deal with the PA set up.)
I don't eat prior to a gig from around midday/13.00 hours till I get home/accommodation afterwards. (1/2am?)
I just can't perform with a gut digesting too...But that's just a personal practicality regarding what I do.

"Normal" depends on the metabolism of the individual diabetic & the type of medication regime involved. (If prescribed at all.)
There are other factors with certain diatary choices such as activity or weight management.

Hats of to anyone achieving a decent BG eating what they eat & doing what they do... Thus understanding the differences in personal requirements & focusing souly on that..

None of us are looking at our meters if we're concerned about what others have on the plate..

That's my 2gees worth.. :)

.....and has good BS control?

Usually eat low carb but just fed up of it at the moment! Feeling a bit fed up with diabetes and just want a bit of normality back.

I do have a libre which helps.
I thought I had fairly good control but my 90 day average is 10.1 - I know I am over eating at present - enjoying mid morning snacks and tea and cake in the afternoon as well as 3 meals a day ! I do try to count carbs and take a correction dose to compensate

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I am T2 diet controlled but eat what could be defined as a fairly normal diet albeit lowish carb. I average between 100 - 120g carbs per day. I eat most vegs, both below and above ground, meat, eggs, nuts, potatoes, pasta and bread although I mitigate the risk by having a max 2 potatoes, small portions of reheated pasta and Tesco’s high protein bread at 10g carb per slice. I enjoy berries with my yoghurt and also have the occasional apple or orange but steer clear of bananas. I have been known to indulge in the odd bar of chocolate albeit 70% or higher, cream cakes, crisps and ice cream. I test my FBS most mornings and it hovers between 4.7 and 5.8 and my hba1c has been in normal range for approx 5 years.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Unfortunately a number of posts have been removed for either de-railing this thread or responding to deleted posts - please read our forum rules in my signature for clarity in regards to posting on the forum.

Please be mindful of the original poster's question and diabetes status when responding to threads.

Reactions: Fairygodmother

WJP1055

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sugar, being overweight
Just returned from a two week ALL INCLUSIVE holiday to Cape Verde. Didn't really know what to expect but before booking I had confirmed that the main restaurant served up a large variety of food. To keep it short, 4/5 different varieties of fish every evening, pasta/pizza area, beef, lamb, ham, ribs all done with a variety of vegetables. Oh... and there was a salad counter. I availed myself of just about everything. Breakfast was usually all protein based with a slice of toast if I fancied it. Unfortunately, black pudding was not on the menu!. The asian restaurant was also very nice and whilst I had to increase my insulin for those meals my BS stayed in single figures for the entire fortnight apart from one rogue test, which I couldn't figure out, at 15mml/l. I did drink the occasional lager, but it clearly contained a lot of carbs and was best avoided. Mostly I stuck with vodka and coke zero with a decent helping of merlot for dinner. Whilst I don't drink and eat such a huge variety of food at home, it isn't too far off!

Jc3131

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been diagnosed nearly 2 years now as a type1. I have my moments with certain foods and I stay clear as they spike me too high and I cannot seem to get the high level to drop no matter on the amount of correction doses. Any sort of pies, pasties and sausage rolls are off the menu.

I eat chips, aunt bessies frozen ones along with 2 chicken chargrills and peas with two slices of nimble bread. Roughly 110g carbs, and I still only take a small amount of insulin.

Chicken curry and rice (uncle bens). The same amount of insulin as before. I have an active job so I burn the carbs off.

I like lager and have started drinking better quality stuff. Birra Moretti instead of bud light. But with this i tend to drink it after food when i have given myself an extra unit or two of novo. I had a bottle last night without the food/insulin and i spiked to 17mmol, the highest I've been for ages. Im normally around the 5 to 8mmol mark.

Im still honeymooning so things will change but I will just adapt like we all have to.

I think my last hba1c was 44.

Last edited:

rmz80

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I would think a number of ideas in this diet could be adapted to low carb use.

I run two diets at once. An 1850 Cal diet @ 50% carb. This diet for “break even” weight for no loss or gain. The second is a “treats” diet. To get the treats I mainly use Google Fit on a mobile phone. This tells me the calories used mainly walking (typically 5 miles a day) or cycling. I then have the equivalent treats to the cals used. These are mainly toffees or peanuts.

There is also a second aim: ”To ensure I see a minimum set weight at least once a week”. This deals with a slow “creep up” in weight over time. Remember a 3oz gain in weight per week for 18 month is over a stone!

On the 1850 cal diet I like lots of swede. As you will know suede is its very low calorie so need loads of it. The problems I can gain 2 lb in weight in one day flat. This weight gain however only lasts about 3 days hence the reason for the slow “creep up” check.

In the event of not reaching the minimum weight the second diet stops until it is reached. This second diet idea also takes care of any errors such as wrong cals listed on labels or inaccurate kitchen scales.

This diet is quite unusual as it changes if it’s raining outside!

Last edited:
Reactions: Listlad