Breakfast

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can anyone suggest a quick breakfast to take with Metformin
I whip up scrambled eggs in a couple of minutes, with bacon and cheese... Sometimes add mushrooms or a bit of low sugar ketchup. Or an omelet with cream and cinnamon. A really quick option'd be full fat greek yoghurt with nuts and maybe some berries?

Reactions: Lily1042

romsey_eddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I whip up scrambled eggs in a couple of minutes, with bacon and cheese... Sometimes add mushrooms or a bit of low sugar ketchup. Or an omelet with cream and cinnamon. A really quick option'd be full fat greek yoghurt with nuts and maybe some berries?
Thank you yoghurt sounds nice I can't face cooked food until I've been up a while but need to eat with tablets

Laptoploon

My current breakfast is mixed berries (strawberry, red/black currant and blueberries) served over a generous dollop of Greek yogurt - soak the berries overnight with candrel or similar to taste.

Frozen bag of naturally wonky mixed berries from Morrisons at £3 a kilo - good for 6 generous servings.

samiara

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Other
I agree scrambled eggs is breakfast is a quick breakfast recipe,you could add a milkshake for calcium intake,calcium helps to strengthen your tooth.

pixie1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had Alpro coconut with raspberries and blueberries.
Scrambled eggs, with tomatoes is quick.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I make a six egg frittata with added low carb goodies I have to hand, bacon or ham, mushrooms, spring onion, a few chopped cherry toms, spinach good handful grated cheese or feta - cut it into 3 lasts me 3 days for brekkie and great hot in microwave or even good cold on the go :)

Reactions: Dr Snoddy

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree scrambled eggs is breakfast is a quick breakfast recipe,you could add a milkshake for calcium intake,calcium helps to strengthen your tooth.
At 50 gm of carb per litre is milk a sensible source of calcium?

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Cheese omelette
Scrambled eggs, smoked salmon
HiLo toast (5g carb per slice) with nut butter
HiLo toast topped with mashed avocado, chilli flakes, lime juice. (Or smoked paprika)
All can be made in 2-6 minutes

TrevA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Egg and Bacon Muffins

Grease a muffin tin with butter or olive oil, place a strip of streaky bacon cut in half in the shape of a cross in the bottom, then crack an egg on top. Bake for 20 minutes. You can make several at once and they keep for up to 3 days in the fridge. Can be eaten cold or quickly warmed up in a microwave for about 45 secs. Not too long or the egg explodes.
I eat 2 for breakfast. Very low carbs.

Cap'n M

Verified HCP
Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
EU27, CO2 Global Warming Scam, Theresa May, Comrade Boris Johnson.
You cannot get away from the problem that a low-carb diet will not provide enough fibre and loo-time will become an issue.
I have moved to a 50/50 mixture of Oat Bran/Chia seeds, made into a porridge. It's very quick. In my case, mix 25g of each in a large cereal bowl, add boiling water, leave for a few minutes, stir in some milk and then microwave for 2 mins. It looks a bit like frogspawn, has a not unpleasant nutty taste but is a bit seedy. The Chia seeds reduce the Carb load from the Oat Bran and provide loads of soluble fibre, which can't be bad.
This all depends on whether you want variety or predictability. I prefer to eat the same boring breakfast porridge mix, as being Insulin dependent, it simplifies things.