Wobbly Walks

T2#Me

I am finally able to see a Podiatrist on the 14th, next Thursday (after self referring and waiting, as my surgery doesn't have a foot person on board).

My main worry I want to bring to their attention is a difficulty in walking that has developed in the last few months, namely wobbly walking. I think it's called unsteady gait, or something like that.

What I mean by this is that when I am out walking, I find myself staggering from side to side, almost like I remember from the good old days if you would get drunk, and I find it hard to walk in a straight line, even when I concentrate.

I don't feel faint, or dizzy, or nauseous, or numb, or anything in fact, I feel just fine, enjoying the walk, except that I don't feel in control of my feet ... I'm sure people must think I am what we call here stotious (drunk). I also find a certain constant `sensitivity (almost but not quite pain) in the feet walking even indoors, so I mainly use trainers now with thick socks around the house as well as outside).

I'm guessing it's due to the diabetes (I also sometimes get a very mild "hot" tingling in the feet, and restless legs in bed) ...

It's very disappointing, especially as walking outside is a main feature in tackling blood pressure, blood sugar and weight loss, although I also bought a treadmill to use in bad weather (not by any means as useful as a good walk in the fresh air).

I'm wondering what to expect from the Podiatrist when I stagger in, what tests to expect, and what advice I can expect?

This disease would try the patience of a saint.

:arghh:

(Looking on the bright side, the good news is that my hba1c is down from 48 to 42, and my weight is down from 13 stone 7 to 12 stone 00 since 17 September 2018, so progress is being made).
:)

Last edited:
Reactions: Serena51

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I can't help with the root cause, but when I had problems walking I found that walking poles were a great help as they allowed me to keep my confidence, not tense up and to keep on taking proper steps rather than learn to shuffle or totter.

T2#Me

I can't help with the root cause, but when I had problems walking I found that walking poles were a great help as they allowed me to keep my confidence, not tense up and to keep on taking proper steps rather than learn to shuffle or totter.
Hello ... I saw the podriatrist today ... she said my feet are actually in very good condition (yay!), and the wobbly walk is not a diabetes issue ... funny enough, she also suggested walking poles (and to see my gp).