do I need permission? should-shouldn't I?

sparkles

I want to try to post something.…
it’s a bit weird and overly long and I question whether it is relevant or irrelevant to this site or to any individuals ‘In here’ or ‘out there‘. I also question myself whether I am being manipulative and worry that it’s style is more statement than question and I know some people don’t like that.

The ‘thing’ I want to post is about people and gardening and me trying to untangle my experience as a newbie on this site and make a decision about whether to stay here or go look elsewhere. It is about diabetes in the extremely abstract and minimal sense that I came to this site as a diabetic with certain views, looking for certain things. (which didn’t include trouble) but once here now kind of feel that the kind of things I want to ask will be interpreted as trouble and I’ll be labelled a trouble maker. my would be post is reflective, serous at times with a smattering of humour I think.

Can I post it?
should I post it?

and if so where? (and please be polite and answer me respectfully ….or not at all.)
Sparkles.

JUSTFOCUS

Dislikes
Scrooge . People who are always feeling sorry for themselves . The NHS . The benefit agency .Atttention seekers on forums or chat rooms.
Go for it . Everone is entitled to there opinion . However check the rules of the forum ( which you read when you joined) :D
Be happy :wink: JF

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Post it...lets see whether we have taken note of opinions counting ...attitudes don't.....

Patch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
What we eat is an extremely inmportant part of controlling our diabetes. We certainly talk about food a lot here, so I don't see any reason not to post about gardening?

Saying that - you'd probably get better conversationon th ematter from a gardening forum, where people will have similar experiences to your own, and could offer better advice.

I'd LOVE to know what you want to ask. it's a ashame that you feel you CAN'T ask anything you like. Post away, I say. Lets get a bit of debate going on in here!

Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
No need for permission to post something - this is a free and open platform to discuss. Obviously, if it's against guidelines then it may be removed.

JUSTFOCUS

Dislikes
Scrooge . People who are always feeling sorry for themselves . The NHS . The benefit agency .Atttention seekers on forums or chat rooms.
thats easy . opinion spelt different to attitude :lol: :lol:

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
Go for it Sparkles!

Aslong as your clear in your post what you aim to discuss or what information you'd like to get out of replies i can't see it being that bad.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and to ask what they like.

the guidelines on the forum are here for a very good reason, to keep the forum clean and functional for everyone who uses it in a positive way.

If i'm ever stuck on where to post things i give it my best guess.

Maybe even put part of this post infront of the post you are thinking of posting, so it's very clear to everyone that you certainly do not mean to cause any offence or try to 'manipulate' anyone.

Be honest and open, i think that comes through any post, wether it's serious, funny, outrageous or whatever :)

sparkles

i guess opinions affect attitudes and attitudes effect opinions.

is that why everyone here falls out with each other?

ebony321

Dislikes
sparkles said:
i guess opinions affect attitudes and attitudes effect opinions.

is that why everyone here falls out with each other?

Quite well said.

I wouldn't say everyone falls out, but i think with a bit more respect conflict could be avoided.

sparkles

but we are all made up of attitudes and opinions arent we? how can we not be? if we are living, experiencing and registering that experience?
sparkles

ClaireG 06

I agree you should feel you can post anything. If it's answers to questions you want i'd post in ask a question, if it's a more general thing and concentrates more on the gardening side then maybe the general discussion area.

ebony321

Dislikes
yeah, if i'm stuck i stick my post in general.

The worst that could happen if you put it in the wrong one that it will be moved, but it won't affect your post at all.

If your really concerned maybe benedict or one of the mod's could take a look at it first?

sparkles

OK here,
Hope someone will move it if I got it wrong....

I’ve been in the garden thinking a lot lately. I still don’t know if I should stay or leave this site. I ask myself questions like whether I can add anything to this site or get things from it without getting hurt.
I kind of want to be here… but I kind of also don’t. I’m a bit of a newbie, very green (ha the gardiner in me likes that! ) and I had a bad experience here just recently. But I love people and the weirdness of life sometimes and I want to get over it and just post questions etc. but I’m afraid of turbulence again if I do.

It’s twee I know but I also like this:

The kiss of the sun for pardon,
The song of the birds for mirth
One’s nearer Gods heart in a Garden
Than anywhere else on Earth.’

Mrs Dorothy Frances Gurney
(1858 -1932)

A Gardiner tends a garden.
But that doesn’t mean a Gardiner cant also appreciate gardens
-his own or others.

Gardiners are people first and most people can appreciate nature or a garden at some point in their lives.

A well tended gardens,
Even neglected gardens can be very a beautiful thing.
….Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

………………………………..............................................
I kind of think that everyone has a bit of a Gardener in them.

What I mean to say is if you think of a Gardener as having amongst other attributes those of
a) appreciation
and
b) the desire to care or tend (-in this case for a garden)

then many people in life have those attributes ….

So in an abstract way are all Gardiners of our own souls and bodies and of the things we love and cherish.

In this very abstract sense we as Gardiners can appreciate our selves, souls, bodies, cherished things etc. regardless of how well we look after them, (Some Real life Gardiners are better at gardening in some areas than others -but they are all still Real life Gardeners.)

In my abstraction and in the virtual world here on this site: From a couple of posts I‘ve read I can see all kinds of Gardeners. Dd is a real-life gardener, (hope you don’t mind me telling DD) but I also know there are a few parents who came here with their diabetic child or children in mind. This tells me they appreciates and care for their children. So while they may or may not share my love of gardening I recognise they are Gardiners of a sort.

Site Moderators (even just ordinary people who find themselves moderating in times of dispute) are also Gardiners in this abstract way of thinking. Moderators really do care about their role.( It must take a lot of patience and understanding (to deal with so many diverse people who have so many diverse opinions and attitudes and diverse aspects to their (diabetes,- a subject which in itself is so diverse))
And I can tell you from experience Real Life Gardiners also need those attributes of patience and understanding ! (and forgiveness when things go wrong and plants die because they got something wrong.)

Site Moderators must care enough about people, ALL PEOPLE in order to do that job. I take my hat off to them really! I couldn’t do it much as I love people. I’d rather choose be a Real Life Gardener out in my Real Garden. Sometimes like a Gardiner, Moderators might not know how to help something (or in this case ‘someone’ ) grow or they might do something wrong and get a terrible result. Ask yourself ‘How often do Real Life Gardiners cherish a plant only to lose it by over or under watering or denying it enough sunshine. ’ Moderators are people first too and they are learning and growing themselves. It doesn’t mean they don’t care or don’t make mistakes. Moderating is like gardening in that it’s a job that can be done well or badly but if its done with Good intention then all is well and good …even if mistakes happen! In real life I bought a dying plant the other day for just 15p thinking its no great loss to me if I lose it- But it might just live and I hope so, but I can’t know.

And I don’t know if this is a helpful, relevant post I’m writing here but I’m a person who lives in a weirdly abstract and wonderful Real World sometimes, (to say nothing of the abstract world I experienced after a recent mental breakdown!) and I know myself well enough to know I’m also sensitive, reflective, intelligent and caring.

I can see Gardiners everywhere in life: People who tend and care. They tend and care about all sorts of things for all sorts of reasons. I think it’s lovely to look at life in this crazy abstract way of ‘seeing the best i instead of the worst, i.e. the Gardiner’ in everyone. Though I have to admit things do get cloudy sometimes even for me and rain sometimes stops play! Recently I got confused by a video someone posted on here. I could have retaliated all guns blazing but I chose to just say in one post that I thought it was wrong to put that video in, inthe context in which it was used and that I was confused by it. (But I’ve since seen several other videos by the same poster which I’ve liked, enjoyed or even laughed at …so I to think this persons intentions are good. )

My opinion is everything is always in flux. Knowledge is food and we (or humanity/is) are trying to grow. And it’s the Gardener in me that can see it’s a tender little plant that plant called Humanity! Sometimes in life we learn things by rote. Ideas and ways of life become so ingrained, believed and depended on that we ourselves become somehow and in some way; ‘Dependent.’ Then sometimes new discoveries or inventions happen which turn things upside down and create havoc. Change can often be so disruptive! Nowhere can change be more disruptive than in the medical realm, because apart from all the vested interests (money, time, individual’s ) change here in this realm is vital. It can literally mean life or death to an individual somewhere at sometime. But time waits for no one and inventions and discoveries are often terribly beneficial to humanity in the long run. Medical ’progress’ is no exception. So I don’t think we should stop being inventive and creative and pushing boundaries while trying to live, and work, and understand each other. But I do wonder, Is it Gardiner in me that makes me wants to shout ‘Hey humans share the earth with plants and creatures- RESPECT! (environments and creatures and nature)

We do live in flux I think but even that has to be balanced.

Real Life Gardiners also know there are two very important forces in nature:

The sun and the rain.
Most people generally prefer the sun to the rain ,
But Gardiners, more than anyone know there’s gotta be a little rain
…. Sometimes.

Sparkles. 22 June 2011.
(With emphasis on the word ......‘little’

Patch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
That, was a great post. I really enjoyed reading it.

The sun and the rain.
Most people generally prefer the sun to the rain ,
But Gardiners, more than anyone know there’s gotta be a little rain
…. Sometimes.

The theme song for this forum should be The Sun and the Rain, by Madness.

Google the lyrics. (Maybe someone could post a link to the video on youtube? But - who could do such a thing??? :wink: )