Work Related Stress sickness absent

Sally66

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi there haven’t posted for a while as I’ve been managing to keep my levels within normal range with low carb diet and moderate exercise sort some time. Unfortunately, I have been on citalopram for anxiety and depression all this time but stress at work escalated to a point that I had a complete breakdown just before Xmas. I’m a teacher of nearly 30 years and some nasty parent bullying I just collapsed. Been off work every since.

My eating habits did not change but my activity did as I was suffering from chronic fatigue and physical joint and muscle pain (at one point climbing the stairs was a struggle). GP increased my dosage of citalopram to the maximum. After a month on that I have improved a lot and I started measuring my BS again (stopped during my deep depression).

I have been getting up later than normal and had BS levels in the low to mid 6s. Sometimes my readings after eating breakfast were lower. I know this is the dawn phenomenon. Other times of day levels in 5s and not going above mid 6s after food. I have been able to walk and swim now (still have a problem with my hip so swimming better than walking). Generally pleased that things seem to have gone back to normal for me. BUT ... whilst I am better I am now experiencing nightmares (usually school related) and the other day has a morning (9am) level of 7.2!!!!
Is this my stress still playing a part? Is it the increase in my medication? Anyone else had difficulties controlling levels whilst suffering with depression? Any advice is welcome,

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi there haven’t posted for a while as I’ve been managing to keep my levels within normal range with low carb diet and moderate exercise sort some time. Unfortunately, I have been on citalopram for anxiety and depression all this time but stress at work escalated to a point that I had a complete breakdown just before Xmas. I’m a teacher of nearly 30 years and some nasty parent bullying I just collapsed. Been off work every since.

My eating habits did not change but my activity did as I was suffering from chronic fatigue and physical joint and muscle pain (at one point climbing the stairs was a struggle). GP increased my dosage of citalopram to the maximum. After a month on that I have improved a lot and I started measuring my BS again (stopped during my deep depression).

I have been getting up later than normal and had BS levels in the low to mid 6s. Sometimes my readings after eating breakfast were lower. I know this is the dawn phenomenon. Other times of day levels in 5s and not going above mid 6s after food. I have been able to walk and swim now (still have a problem with my hip so swimming better than walking). Generally pleased that things seem to have gone back to normal for me. BUT ... whilst I am better I am now experiencing nightmares (usually school related) and the other day has a morning (9am) level of 7.2!!!!
Is this my stress still playing a part? Is it the increase in my medication? Anyone else had difficulties controlling levels whilst suffering with depression? Any advice is welcome,
You're still doing pretty darned good, bloodsugar wise. Especially under the circumstances. All I know is stress raises levels, and nightmares are stressfull... If I've had a bad night, my morning sugars are to weep over. I do know I sleep better than I take CBD oil before going to sleep, (5 to 15 drops of 2,75%) but no idea if that is an option for you.

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Hi Sally. I can really empathize with your situation. After 30 years of teaching you may be reaching burnout and it is no wonder that you are experiencing your current health difficulties and no longer have the mental and physical resources available to cope with constant pressure and constant change. The nasty parents may in fact have done you a favour although it may not seem like it at the moment.
It is now time to take care of yourself and dedicated teachers are notorious for thinking constantly about their school and pupils and neglecting their own welfare.
Is (early) retirement or part-time work an option? Is counselling available to help you plan a way forward?
Meantime, rest, sleep, eat well, treat yourself to massages or a nice haircut, exercise, recover. You have spent your working life contributing to the greater community and should be able to look forward to a healthy retirement at a time of your choosing. The nightmares will not stop immediately but should reduce in frequency over time as your stress levels reduce.
If you sense personal experience here you would be correct! I also have several colleagues who have had similar experiences and we have all benefited from a radical change to the way we see life.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Sally66 ,

I taught for 7 years and found simply talking all day long very tiring and additionally stressful coordinating everything. I used to take classes of 10 to 15 adults so no doubt different circumstances with children but nonetheless it opened my eyes to how difficult teaching is and now that my little one is at school it just amazes me how one teacher can handle 26 children all at the same time.

Ironically I show my appreciation for the teacher(s) in my daughter’s class by taking in cakes at the end of term for the teachers, an idea I would have squirmed at years ago but not these days.

I empathise with your situation and am also interested to see what some of the forum members have to say relating to stress and diabetes.

Last edited:

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

stress, anxiety and depression all raise my blood sugar levels. You may also perhaps need some counselling, as the nightmare may indicate a level of PTSD which needs unfolding in a safe and supportive environment. All the best.

Sally66

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Lucy. I have been told there is a 12 month waiting list for counselling on NHS and have requested some from my employer as there is a package on offer with our Multi Academy Trust. So far have heard nothing. But exercise has helped me - especially swimming (it’s kinder on my hip). Got level down to 5.8 after swimming this morning and before food. As I say what I eat is well controlled and hardly ever goes above 6s 2 hours after food. Just these wretched morning levels! I suspect the nightmares might be happening because I am now sleeping more deeply.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I suspect the nightmares might be happening because I am now sleeping more deeply.
You probably know this, but its important to give your mind time to heal and not go back until you are mentally and emotionally read, regardless of your physical state.

Sally66

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Sally. I can really empathize with your situation. After 30 years of teaching you may be reaching burnout and it is no wonder that you are experiencing your current health difficulties and no longer have the mental and physical resources available to cope with constant pressure and constant change. The nasty parents may in fact have done you a favour although it may not seem like it at the moment.
It is now time to take care of yourself and dedicated teachers are notorious for thinking constantly about their school and pupils and neglecting their own welfare.
Is (early) retirement or part-time work an option? Is counselling available to help you plan a way forward?
Meantime, rest, sleep, eat well, treat yourself to massages or a nice haircut, exercise, recover. You have spent your working life contributing to the greater community and should be able to look forward to a healthy retirement at a time of your choosing. The nightmares will not stop immediately but should reduce in frequency over time as your stress levels reduce.
If you sense personal experience here you would be correct! I also have several colleagues who have had similar experiences and we have all benefited from a radical change to the way we see life.
Thank you for this. It is alarming the number of fellow professionals who are suffering out there. The fact that there are 2 staff members in my school, a one form entry primary school, off with stress says something. Yes, I have already resolved to ask to go part time from September- whether that is agreed is another matter. Will significantly affect my pension though. Feels so unfair at times.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for this. It is alarming the number of fellow professionals who are suffering out there. The fact that there are 2 staff members in my school, a one form entry primary school, off with stress says something. Yes, I have already resolved to ask to go part time from September- whether that is agreed is another matter. Will significantly affect my pension though. Feels so unfair at times.
Entry primary school. That was my little one last year. Very challenging for a teacher. My daughter’s teacher last year had two assistants so that no doubt helped.

Following up on retirement. The headteacher has just this year elected for early retirement.

A local lady I know teaches part time only. Ironically she bakes the most wonderful cakes in her other job - own business. Sadly I have had to stop buying them from her.

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People. Noise. Swearing. Many foods.
As someone diagnosed with anxiety disorder, Dysthymia, is Autistic and has suicidal ideation, yes I would certainly say stress plays a huge role in my readings.

I can actually feel the tension leading to a higher result so have to try, as hard as I can, to stay totally calm leading up and during, testing.

So how many of my readings are “genuine” for want of a better word, is hard to judge.