Type 1 Is this normal?

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Alex_B One more thing. You're saying this started after a dental work was done... That too, is a red flag, right there. Post operative DKA is a thing, and a mouth is per definition not an area that can be sterilised pre-op... Also, you could have a lingering infection (not in your mouth per se... Dental care can also make bacteria travel to your heart ;Bacterial endocarditis). Please, get help.

sarahdennis87

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Alex_B

I too have many issues with my stomach. I was told I had IBS 12 years ago. May be too much info, but I haven’t had a normal bowel movement in about 6 years. Over the years my stomach issues got worse and worse. Drs told me to try different diets, gluten free, lactose free, FODMAP etc etc. I did and nothing helped. Last April I went back and asked them to refer me to gastro. It took a long time but in December I was FINALLY diagnosed with Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency, basically my pancreas doesn’t produce the enzymes needed to digest my food and therefore it comes out just as quick as it went it. It’s worth mentioning. It can be diagnosed by a simple stool sample to test for Elastase. It could be that it’s not that, but still worth asking.

On a day to day basis, what exactly are you eating? I know you said nothing had changed but specifically what foods?

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
I know what they are. I'm not stupid. I don't get these lectures from the diabetes clinic because nothing is going to change my mind. Right now I'm barely eating anyway because of a fear of food due to the pain and diarrhoea.

I am not saying you are stupid @Alex_B and am not lecturing you. So what are your bloods if you are not testing??
Maybe you need to change your mind as you are going to get complications when you are older. I was the same as you in my 20's refusing to blood test and not listening to what people told me. I am now blind in my left eye and have stage 4CKD! due to not testing and knowing where I was BG wise.
Are you keeping liquids down??

Reactions: gemma_T1 and Dodo

Alex_B

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Alex_B

I too have many issues with my stomach. I was told I had IBS 12 years ago. May be too much info, but I haven’t had a normal bowel movement in about 6 years. Over the years my stomach issues got worse and worse. Drs told me to try different diets, gluten free, lactose free, FODMAP etc etc. I did and nothing helped. Last April I went back and asked them to refer me to gastro. It took a long time but in December I was FINALLY diagnosed with Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency, basically my pancreas doesn’t produce the enzymes needed to digest my food and therefore it comes out just as quick as it went it. It’s worth mentioning. It can be diagnosed by a simple stool sample to test for Elastase. It could be that it’s not that, but still worth asking.

On a day to day basis, what exactly are you eating? I know you said nothing had changed but specifically what foods?

I had a stool sample test and it just came back as low salt and potassium, which I know can cause stomach issues and diarrhoea. I've had low salt and low potassium since March 2018, nothing was done about it.

I eat lots of fruit and veg, I do snack on some unhealthy stuff but, mainly it's when I have big meals like at tea time, roast dinner, spaghetti bolognese, sausage and mash etc; there not "big" portions though, my mum lets me put on what I feel I can eat, which isn't much as I think with the massive weight loss, my stomach has shrunk. I've thought about coeliac disease, IBS, IBD, but it just seems to be every food.

sarahdennis87

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I had a stool sample test and it just came back as low salt and potassium, which I know can cause stomach issues and diarrhoea. I've had low salt and low potassium since March 2018, nothing was done about it.

I eat lots of fruit and veg, I do snack on some unhealthy stuff but, mainly it's when I have big meals like at tea time, roast dinner, spaghetti bolognese, sausage and mash etc; there not "big" portions though, my mum lets me put on what I feel I can eat, which isn't much as I think with the massive weight loss, my stomach has shrunk. I've thought about coeliac disease, IBS, IBD, but it just seems to be every food.

I would make an appointment with your Dr/GP ASAP and ask them to do a stool sample to test the elastase. It basically tests the function of the pancreas. If it’s with every meal then it does sound like it could be EPI (but I’m not a dr so don’t take my word for it). I tested negative for coeliac/crohns/colitis and they put it all down to IBS for 12 years, but I do actually have a real issue that has gone undiscovered for so long that it’s done a lot of damage to my body.

Take a google at pancreatic insufficiency and see what you think.

Reactions: porl69

Alex_B

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Went to the hospital Monday, blood tests normal, nothing they could do for stomach pain and diarrhoea so waste of time and their resources

D

Deleted member 308541

Before the RFDS started here in Australia, one of the old bush remedies for the scours was swallowing a couple of junket tablets every day till it stopped.

That and cold boiled water,

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Ah that's good news that your seeing the diabetes clinic on Thursday, is there any chance you can do some testing today and track your bg levels so you've got something to show them ?

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @Alex_B , lots of troubles can follow operations. A friend of mine got similar problems from antibiotics given during an operation. Maybe ask the diabetes team about that. I can understand your reluctance to eat but you cannot continue this way without losing more weight and running short on vitamins etc.
The diabetes team should be able to push for an urgent gastrenterologist appmt. Insist on it with them. Tell them how much weight you think you have lost, that the salts in you blood are low and that the hospital did not appesr to be able to help.
Best Wishes

D

Deleted Account

@Alex_B things certainly do not sound good and you need some assistance both with your diabetes and your gastric problems.
I am in the "you need to test camp" but not for the same reasons as the others. If you are finding your food " doesn't stay in my body for 5 minutes" then your insulin will not have any carbs to act on. There is a possibility feeling nauseous and weak could be a hypo.
Unfortunately, without any BG values to go on, providing any suggestions is like trying to work out whodunit when you have not been introduced to the perpetrator.
Fingers crossed you get some help from your diabetes team. A Libre could help with the detective work but it is not as accurate as finger pricking so you may get some red herrings.

Reactions: Diakat

Alex_B

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
They checked my sugars in hospital every hour, 11-13 so they were normal and wasn't too high. It's taking its toll on me though, exhausted physically and mentally so really hope they can help tomorrow cause honestly don't think I'm gonna make it to April.

rmz80

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
When you had your teeth extracted did the dentist start you on antibiotics?

Alex_B

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No. That was 3 months ago anyway so wouldn't have an effect on me now.