Weight loss

sarahdennis87

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
So I recently decided that I was going to get my butt into gear and try to lose weight.

Long story short, I’ve been signed off work until end of March for other health problems so thought I’d make the most of being off. So I’ve been going to the gym this last week, Thurs 7th 2 classes, Fri 8th 2 classes, Tues12th 1 class, Thirs 14th 1 class and today Fri 15th 2 classes. I was aiming to do a couple more but appointments got in the way.

I’ve not changed my diet at all and I’ve lost 2lbs. Which I’m pretty happy with but would like to lose more.

What foods should I be eating?
I also have pancreatic insufficiency (pancreas doesn’t produce enzymes so I take them in pill form) so I’m trying to eat low fat and low protein so I don’t have to take so many pills with my meals.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Spl@

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Humans that only take.
Diabetic on low fat, low protein. That must be a challenge.

I take it you make a rabbit look like king of the carnivores.

Totally out of my knowledge base, your doing the exercise. So long as the chocolate, biscuits and Asti stay in the cupboard keep calm and carry on.

sarahdennis87

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Low fat low protein is extremely hard. I’m still new in the EPI diagnosis so I’m still struggling a lot. I just don’t want to have to take 10-20 pills with my meals!!

I don’t drink (it affects my stomach horribly), I still eat chocolate because I need it to keep on track, although trying to have healthier alternatives like chocolate covered rice cakes. And same with the biscuits, they’re still in the cupboard but try not to touch them.

I’m just stuck on ideas for meals. Breakfast I’m tending to go for banana and cereal bar OR porridge. Lunch I struggle with, it’s normally after I’ve done my gym classes so I grab what I can before I pick up my daughter from nursery, and I think that’s where I’m going wrong. Convenience foods!! Dinners I’m trying to go for healthy balance. Lean meat, lots of veg and potatoes, pastas with homemade sauces, lean meats with rice etc etc.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Diabetic on low fat, low protein. That must be a challenge.
Big difference between T1 and prediabetes. Although I agree that any diet is a challenge, diabetic or not :p

And sorry, I don't know much about weightloss or pancreatic insuffiency, hope someone else can help you out, @sarahdennis87 !

edit: Maybe it would help to look in the 3C subforum, or put something about pancreatic insuffiency or 3C in your title so it gets noticed by others who need to take those enzymes.
Good luck!

Spl@

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Humans that only take.
Big difference between T1 and prediabetes. Although I agree that any diet is a challenge, diabetic or not :p

And sorry, I don't know much about weightloss or pancreatic insuffiency, hope someone else can help you out, @sarahdennis87 !

I know its a big difference, never made any reference that there wasn't, that said being insulin dependant when your primary energy supply is carbohydrate, while matching your protein and fat to the medication must be a complicated balance.

Bonus points to the op.

annie07

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just wanted to add that with all the classes you're doing, you may not necessarily lose pounds as you will likely be building muscle, so may lose inches instead. Good luck!