Type 2 Blood test advice

ColinS

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
What seems like endless trips to the Dr or Hospital.
Hello I am ColinS
I have been a member for a while but as my diabetes was about 5.1mmol/l and I had no adverse effects and my diabetes was controlled by diet only I have not been on here for ages (Sorry for that).

Now I could do with a little advice. My blood tests have always been about 5.1 - 5.3 (fasting checks done at the doctors every 6 months or so). About 3 weeks a ago I woke to find my mouth extremely dry, at first I put it down to the central heating, but the dry mouth persisted to a point where I struggled to eat a sandwich my mouth went so dry. I booked an appointment to see my GP explained my symptoms and he sent me for an urgent Blood test. I had the results back and my blood sugar is now 18.1mmol/l. Even though I have had diabetes for a couple of years I know very little about it apart from controlling my sugar intake. I phoned my GP surgery and the receptionist was nice and polite as they always are, I explained that my blood results had gone up and could I book an appointment, she gave me one in March. I asked if it was ok to leave it that long for an appointment she didn't know and suggested that I call each morning to see if I could get an appointment on the day.
So I was hoping for a bit of advice from here. My blood test jumped from 5.1mmol/l to 18.1mmol/l very quickly is it ok to leave seeing my GP 3 weeks or so and I am worrying over nothing or what should I do.
Any advice would be most welcome.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello I am ColinS
I have been a member for a while but as my diabetes was about 5.1mmol/l and I had no adverse effects and my diabetes was controlled by diet only I have not been on here for ages (Sorry for that).

Now I could do with a little advice. My blood tests have always been about 5.1 - 5.3 (fasting checks done at the doctors every 6 months or so). About 3 weeks a ago I woke to find my mouth extremely dry, at first I put it down to the central heating, but the dry mouth persisted to a point where I struggled to eat a sandwich my mouth went so dry. I booked an appointment to see my GP explained my symptoms and he sent me for an urgent Blood test. I had the results back and my blood sugar is now 18.1mmol/l. Even though I have had diabetes for a couple of years I know very little about it apart from controlling my sugar intake. I phoned my GP surgery and the receptionist was nice and polite as they always are, I explained that my blood results had gone up and could I book an appointment, she gave me one in March. I asked if it was ok to leave it that long for an appointment she didn't know and suggested that I call each morning to see if I could get an appointment on the day.
So I was hoping for a bit of advice from here. My blood test jumped from 5.1mmol/l to 18.1mmol/l very quickly is it ok to leave seeing my GP 3 weeks or so and I am worrying over nothing or what should I do.
Any advice would be most welcome.
Get yourself a meter and plenty of strips. Today if possible. You want to know what your BG's are doing. If it was one single spike I wouldn't worry all that much about hurrying the appointment. But if you're consistently high (10 and higher) you might want to get in touch with 111 if you can't get to the GP, and ask them what to do.

Just to check: Do you have any infections, illnesses or things causing you stress right now? Because that can cause a spike too.

I'll post my little nutrition thingy here, maybe it'll help you suss out what is causing the spike. What do your meals usually look like? Maybe we can help find the culprit(s)?

There’s a few things you should know.

1. Practically all carbs turn to glucose once ingested, so not just straight sugars, but starches too. Food doesn’t have to taste sweet to make your blood sugars skyrocket.

2. A meter helps you know what foods agree with you, and which don’t. Test before and 2 hours after the first bite. If you go up more than 2.0 mmol/l, the meal was carbier than you could handle. (It’s easy to remember, as you’re a T2: all 2’s, all over the place!)

3. In case you didn’t know already, this isn’t your fault. It’s genetics, medication, decades of bad dietary advice, and basically all manner of things, but nothing you can actually blame yourself for.

4. Diabetes T2 is a progressive condition, unless you (also) change your diet. So you have options. Diet-only, diet with medication, or medication only. But that last option will most likely mean more medication over the years. (And there is more than just metformin, so if it doesn’t agree with you, there’s lots of others to try). So even if going really low carb isn’t for you, you might consider moderately low carb an option, with meds to assist.

5. Are you overweight? 90% of T2’s are. Yeah, that means 10% are slim and always were. If you did gain weight, it was the precursor of this metabolic condition. We make loads of insulin, but become insensitive to it. So carbs we eat turn to glucose, and normally, insulin helps us burn that glucose for fuel. When it doesn’t, that glucose is stored in fat cells instead. When those fat stores are full, the glucose remains in our bloodstream, overflowing, into our eyes, tears, urine, saliva… And then we’re T2’s. So weight gain is a symptom, not a cause. This also means that “regular” dietary advice doesn’t work for us. The problem lies in our inability to process carbs. And most diets focus on lowering fats and upping carb intake. Which is the direct opposite of what a T2, or prediabetic, for that matter, needs.

6. There are 3 macro-nutrients. Fats, protein and carbohydrates. Those macro’s mean we get the micro-nutrients we need: that would be vitamins and minerals. So… If you ditch the carbs, you should up another macro-nutrient to compensate, to make sure you don’t get malnourished or vitamin deficient. Carbs make our blood sugars rise. Protein too, but nowhere near as bad as carbs do, so they’re alright in moderation. Fats however… Fats are as good as a glucose-flatline. Better yet, they’ll mitigate the effects of any carbs we do ingest, slowing down their uptake and thus the sugar-spike. Contrary to what we’ve been told for decades; fats are our friends.

7. Worried about cholesterol? On a low carb diet, your cholesterol may rise a little as you start to lose weight. That’s a good thing though. (Believe it or not). What was already there, stored in your body, is starting to head for the exit, and for that it’ll go into your bloodstream first. So when you have lost weight and it stabilises, so will your cholesterol. And it’ll probably be lower than what it was before you started out.

8. You’ll lose weight on a low carb diet. Weight loss will help with your insulin-resistance, and not only that… Going low carb might help with other issues as well, like non-alcoholic fatty liver disease and depression.

9. Always ask for your test results. You don’t know where you’re going, if you don’t know where you’ve been.

10. Last, but certainly not least: If you are on medication that has hypoglycemia listed as a side-effect, like Gliclazide for instance, do NOT attempt a LCHF diet without a meter nor your doctors’ knowledge/assistance. You can drop blood glucose levels too far, too fast, if your dosage isn’t adjusted accordingly. This could mean a lower dose in stages or even stopping medication completely. Never do this without discussing it with your doctor first!

So what raises blood sugars? Aside from the obvious (sugar), starches raise blood glucose too. So bread, and anything made with grain/oats flour, rice, potatoes, pasta, corn, cereals (including all the “healthy choices”, like Weetabix and muesli), most beans and most fruits. So you’ll want to limit your intake, or scratch them altogether.

Which food items remain on the shopping list? Well, meat, fish, poultry, above ground veggies/leafy greens, eggs, cheese, heavy cream, full fat Greek yoghurt, full fat milk, extra dark chocolate (85% Lindt’s is great!), avocado, (whole) tomatoes, berries, olives, nuts, that sort of thing… Meal ideas? Have a couple:

Scrambled eggs with bacon, cheese, mushrooms, tomato, maybe some high meat content sausages?
Eggs with ham, bacon and cheese
Omelet with spinach and/or smoked salmon
Omelet with cream, cinnamon, with some berries and coconut shavings
Full fat Greek yoghurt with nuts and berries
Leafy green salad with a can of tuna (oil, not brine!), mayonnaise, capers, olives and avocado
Leafy green salad with (warmed goat's) cheese and bacon, maybe a nice vinaigrette?
Meat, fish or poultry with veggies. I usually go for cauliflower rice or broccoli rice, with cheese and bacon to bulk it up. Never the same meal twice in a row because of various herbs/spices.

Snacks? Pork scratchings, cheese, olives, extra dark chocolate, nuts. :)

Of course, there’s loads more on the web, for people more adventurous than I. (Which is pretty much everyone). Just google whatever you want to make and add “keto” to it, and you’ll get a low carb version. There’s a lot of recipes on the diabetes.co.uk website, as well as on www.dietdoctor.com where you’ll also find visual (carb content) guides and videos. And I can wholeheartedly endorse Dr. Jason Fung’s book The Diabetes Code. It’ll help you understand what’s going on in your body and how to tackle it, whilst not being a dry read. Not only that, but you’ll know what to ask your doctor, and you’ll understand the answers, which is, I believe, quite convenient.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
My advice would be to queue up outside the surgery just before the doors open in the morning and you are likely to get an appointment the same day or the day after. When I am desperate for an appt and am well enough this is the action I must take as I have never managed to get one any less than two weeks over the phone.

Reactions: Ponchu and Rosie B

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @ColinS, I am amazed your GP did not ring and ask you to come in.
The receptionist has not the medical knowledge or license to decide whether your appointment is urgent or not.
I would suggest you ring in and request to speak to the GP to get a much earlier appointment.
If that fails ask for a sooner appointment like in 2 days time with the receptionist as it is that important. Sometimes one has to emphasise the importance with words like dangerous blood sugar levels, exceedingly high levels with the symptoms of bad diabetes - words like that may help to get in !!
Otherwise perhaps go to the surgery and ask to see the nurse and show her/let her see the results. See if she does not get you in to the GP and perhaps tell him off!!
If you feel nauseous , extremely unwell, demand same day appmt or attend hospital.
Your situation is precisely why people with Type 2 diabetes need to be encouraged to check their BSls rather than relying on a ?? once a year test.
There maybe some important blood tests your GP needs to do plus put in place some monitoring of your BSls and so on.
Bets Wishes :):):)

ColinS

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thank you for replying to my post I really appreciate it. My GP has just phones (as I asked for a telephone consultation) he said he is sending me to the hospital to have tests for pancreatic cancer. I told him I had lower back pains so he said he wants me to phone Monday morning to get an appointment to check the back pain. JoKalsbeek you asked if I had any stress, well I didn't until the Dr phoned, I do have Rheumatoid Arthritis and high blood pressure (all under control and I have no worries about them).
Thanks again.

Reactions: Ponchu and Rosie B

ColinS

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hello Kitdoc
Thanks for replying, I do not feel Nauseous or ill other then dry mouth and going to the loo all the time day and night. I was a little disappointed the GP didn't phone me and if I had not phoned the Surgery I would not have got and appointment. I insisted on him phoning me for a Telephone consultation otherwise who knows how long I might of waited to see him. I will phone Monday morning and see what's what.
Thanks

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for replying to my post I really appreciate it. My GP has just phones (as I asked for a telephone consultation) he said he is sending me to the hospital to have tests for pancreatic cancer. I told him I had lower back pains so he said he wants me to phone Monday morning to get an appointment to check the back pain. JoKalsbeek you asked if I had any stress, well I didn't until the Dr phoned, I do have Rheumatoid Arthritis and high blood pressure (all under control and I have no worries about them).
Thanks again.
Yeah, that would stress me out too! But you're in the mill now, and better to know and be able to act, than be in the dark for weeks to come.

I'll hope for the best of outcomes. Heck, they thought my fatty liver was cancer, and it obviously wasn't, so... Could be a red herring, but you're going to get answers now.

Take care of yourself. *hug*
Jo

Reactions: Rosie B

ColinS

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thank you Jo, I tend to not worry until I know for definite then try and handle what comes. (better said than done though) I do have lots of blood tests monthly so I am hoping they are just being cautious and eliminating things.

I really appreciate your support and the support of the others that answered my post.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Thanks again.
My Best Wishes to you @ColinS. I must admit to being surprised at what your GP has said. But the important thing this that things are being sorted by people who hopefully will be able to give you some definite answers and the best treatment.

Rosie B

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Get yourself a meter and plenty of strips. Today if possible. You want to know what your BG's are doing. If it was one single spike I wouldn't worry all that much about hurrying the appointment. But if you're consistently high (10 and higher) you might want to get in touch with 111 if you can't get to the GP, and ask them what to do.

Just to check: Do you have any infections, illnesses or things causing you stress right now? Because that can cause a spike too.

I'll post my little nutrition thingy here, maybe it'll help you suss out what is causing the spike. What do your meals usually look like? Maybe we can help find the culprit(s)?

There’s a few things you should know.

1. Practically all carbs turn to glucose once ingested, so not just straight sugars, but starches too. Food doesn’t have to taste sweet to make your blood sugars skyrocket.

2. A meter helps you know what foods agree with you, and which don’t. Test before and 2 hours after the first bite. If you go up more than 2.0 mmol/l, the meal was carbier than you could handle. (It’s easy to remember, as you’re a T2: all 2’s, all over the place!)

3. In case you didn’t know already, this isn’t your fault. It’s genetics, medication, decades of bad dietary advice, and basically all manner of things, but nothing you can actually blame yourself for.

4. Diabetes T2 is a progressive condition, unless you (also) change your diet. So you have options. Diet-only, diet with medication, or medication only. But that last option will most likely mean more medication over the years. (And there is more than just metformin, so if it doesn’t agree with you, there’s lots of others to try). So even if going really low carb isn’t for you, you might consider moderately low carb an option, with meds to assist.

5. Are you overweight? 90% of T2’s are. Yeah, that means 10% are slim and always were. If you did gain weight, it was the precursor of this metabolic condition. We make loads of insulin, but become insensitive to it. So carbs we eat turn to glucose, and normally, insulin helps us burn that glucose for fuel. When it doesn’t, that glucose is stored in fat cells instead. When those fat stores are full, the glucose remains in our bloodstream, overflowing, into our eyes, tears, urine, saliva… And then we’re T2’s. So weight gain is a symptom, not a cause. This also means that “regular” dietary advice doesn’t work for us. The problem lies in our inability to process carbs. And most diets focus on lowering fats and upping carb intake. Which is the direct opposite of what a T2, or prediabetic, for that matter, needs.

6. There are 3 macro-nutrients. Fats, protein and carbohydrates. Those macro’s mean we get the micro-nutrients we need: that would be vitamins and minerals. So… If you ditch the carbs, you should up another macro-nutrient to compensate, to make sure you don’t get malnourished or vitamin deficient. Carbs make our blood sugars rise. Protein too, but nowhere near as bad as carbs do, so they’re alright in moderation. Fats however… Fats are as good as a glucose-flatline. Better yet, they’ll mitigate the effects of any carbs we do ingest, slowing down their uptake and thus the sugar-spike. Contrary to what we’ve been told for decades; fats are our friends.

7. Worried about cholesterol? On a low carb diet, your cholesterol may rise a little as you start to lose weight. That’s a good thing though. (Believe it or not). What was already there, stored in your body, is starting to head for the exit, and for that it’ll go into your bloodstream first. So when you have lost weight and it stabilises, so will your cholesterol. And it’ll probably be lower than what it was before you started out.

8. You’ll lose weight on a low carb diet. Weight loss will help with your insulin-resistance, and not only that… Going low carb might help with other issues as well, like non-alcoholic fatty liver disease and depression.

9. Always ask for your test results. You don’t know where you’re going, if you don’t know where you’ve been.

10. Last, but certainly not least: If you are on medication that has hypoglycemia listed as a side-effect, like Gliclazide for instance, do NOT attempt a LCHF diet without a meter nor your doctors’ knowledge/assistance. You can drop blood glucose levels too far, too fast, if your dosage isn’t adjusted accordingly. This could mean a lower dose in stages or even stopping medication completely. Never do this without discussing it with your doctor first!

So what raises blood sugars? Aside from the obvious (sugar), starches raise blood glucose too. So bread, and anything made with grain/oats flour, rice, potatoes, pasta, corn, cereals (including all the “healthy choices”, like Weetabix and muesli), most beans and most fruits. So you’ll want to limit your intake, or scratch them altogether.

Which food items remain on the shopping list? Well, meat, fish, poultry, above ground veggies/leafy greens, eggs, cheese, heavy cream, full fat Greek yoghurt, full fat milk, extra dark chocolate (85% Lindt’s is great!), avocado, (whole) tomatoes, berries, olives, nuts, that sort of thing… Meal ideas? Have a couple:

Scrambled eggs with bacon, cheese, mushrooms, tomato, maybe some high meat content sausages?
Eggs with ham, bacon and cheese
Omelet with spinach and/or smoked salmon
Omelet with cream, cinnamon, with some berries and coconut shavings
Full fat Greek yoghurt with nuts and berries
Leafy green salad with a can of tuna (oil, not brine!), mayonnaise, capers, olives and avocado
Leafy green salad with (warmed goat's) cheese and bacon, maybe a nice vinaigrette?
Meat, fish or poultry with veggies. I usually go for cauliflower rice or broccoli rice, with cheese and bacon to bulk it up. Never the same meal twice in a row because of various herbs/spices.

Snacks? Pork scratchings, cheese, olives, extra dark chocolate, nuts. :)

Of course, there’s loads more on the web, for people more adventurous than I. (Which is pretty much everyone). Just google whatever you want to make and add “keto” to it, and you’ll get a low carb version. There’s a lot of recipes on the diabetes.co.uk website, as well as on www.dietdoctor.com where you’ll also find visual (carb content) guides and videos. And I can wholeheartedly endorse Dr. Jason Fung’s book The Diabetes Code. It’ll help you understand what’s going on in your body and how to tackle it, whilst not being a dry read. Not only that, but you’ll know what to ask your doctor, and you’ll understand the answers, which is, I believe, quite convenient.
Great advice jokalsbeek.

Reactions: gemma_T1

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@ColinS - Which, if any meds do you take for your RA? I know some of the usuals can be known to elevate blood sugars - particularly if you've had to have any steroids of late.

I'm a little surprised your GP has jumped straight into pacreatic cancer, but actaully, if it's to be tested, then better sooner than later, even if just to get it off the list of possibles.

Fingers crossed for you, and keep us in the loops, Colin. I'm sure there'll be a few of us keen to keeo track of how you're doing.

ColinS

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi DC
I am on Methatrexate and Humira Injections, i have been on them for some years as i have with all my other medications.
After i had processed what the Dr said i was suprissed what he told me. I have the test results come up on my Computer, and when i saw my Diabetes results i rang the surgery, he did not ring me and the receptionist said he had put a note on my records saying he just needed me to book a regular appointment (which was in March). After coming on here and the advice i was given i rang the surgery back and insisted that if they could not get me in i wanted a telephone cosultation, thats when he went on about markers in my blood test and he was sending me for test (as far as i can make out it's a Barium meal not sure what that means except i have to drink a liquid that looks like liiqid concrete). But what i cannot get my hear around is why did he put on my notes that i only nedded a regular appointment, then when i ran him it was you need to be tested for Pancrias cancer within 2 weeks,.
A regular appointments infers to me that its none urgent, but a cancer screen does sound to me like its a little bit urgent, might think about changing my Dr.

Thanks for all your inputs it is much appreciated and has made me feel a bit better about things. Now i am going to look for a test thingy, my wife said she say a starter kit.
Thanks again and i will keep you informed.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi DC
I am on Methatrexate and Humira Injections, i have been on them for some years as i have with all my other medications.
After i had processed what the Dr said i was suprissed what he told me. I have the test results come up on my Computer, and when i saw my Diabetes results i rang the surgery, he did not ring me and the receptionist said he had put a note on my records saying he just needed me to book a regular appointment (which was in March). After coming on here and the advice i was given i rang the surgery back and insisted that if they could not get me in i wanted a telephone cosultation, thats when he went on about markers in my blood test and he was sending me for test (as far as i can make out it's a Barium meal not sure what that means except i have to drink a liquid that looks like liiqid concrete). But what i cannot get my hear around is why did he put on my notes that i only nedded a regular appointment, then when i ran him it was you need to be tested for Pancrias cancer within 2 weeks,.
A regular appointments infers to me that its none urgent, but a cancer screen does sound to me like its a little bit urgent, might think about changing my Dr.

Thanks for all your inputs it is much appreciated and has made me feel a bit better about things. Now i am going to look for a test thingy, my wife said she say a starter kit.
Thanks again and i will keep you informed.
I can understand why all of that would be disturbing for you. As I said, on the upside he's looking to hopefully discount the baddies as soon as possible. Have you lost any weight, without trying, of late?

On a bit of an aside, you might find this an interesting read, by a fellow person with RA

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/my-life-since-discovering-lchf.66929/

I don't have RA, but my father did, so I appreciate how debilitating it can be, when it goes off-kilter

Reactions: ziggy_w

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Id be pretty miffed too jumping from a routine appointment to urgent cancer screening both decisions based on the same results. I’m very much hoping his first instincts turn out to be the more accurate.

In the (stressful) meantime I think a blood glucose meter is the way forward. Testing before and 2hrs after each meal, keeping a note of which foods were eaten. It’ll show how you’re currently sitting in a “live” way not as a snapshot one off at the drs. If the numbers are hitting the teens again though I’d be getting advice and help there and then, not waiting. The stress might elevate your numbers, food isn’t the only contributing factor, just a major one.

Also you say you are watching sugar, you need to be watching all carbs not just sugars as these are what will spike you higher as per jo’s post above. Your profile suggests no diabetic medications so it should be safe to lower carbs and see the effect that has. (If it’s not correct then you may need to be more cautious, drug dependant).

Reactions: gemma_T1 and Ponchu

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Yes, do get a meter so you can check 2 hours after typical meals. It sounds like you could possibly be a Late onset T1 (LADA) and not T2 as that BS rise is significant. Before you see the GP keep the carbs down to avoid making the BS worse.

Reactions: Ponchu and kitedoc

ColinS

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I have just ordered a meter, Test strips and Lancets should be here in a few days. I have lost some weight about 5kg in 3 weeks without trying. When i was first diagnosed in 2013 i went on a 6 day course (1 day a week), it was run by nurses from the local hospital got a lot of good info about portion size ect going to start read through it again when i find it. It shows how much i know i thought you tested first thing in the morning not before and after meals. I don't think our surgery does a Diabetic clinic now, it used to but changed hands recently.
Hi Diabell, T1 and T2 is Type 1 and Type 2 Diabetes don't know what LADA means. Is there a poind or reading where Type 2 Changes to Type 1?. I really need to read up on this i am totally lost.
When i ordered the meter i saw the prices of the test strips £60 for 100, is that right of have i miss read. If it is right i will need to start working again, this being ill is really expensive.
Thanks All

Reactions: kitedoc

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For many meters yes that can be the cost for strips. @Bluetit1802 has info about cheaper options she’ll post soon hopefully. eBay may have cheaper versions of your strips but if you go that route be careful of expiry dates.

Be aware your course might have advocated eating x amount of starchy carbs at every meal etc etc which quite frankly is rubbish and general advice NOT suitable for type 2 diabetics and slowly low carb eating is being recognised as far more effective. Depending on your diet, type 2 is possible even at those high numbers but it does seem a rapid change without other factors. LADA is a slow adult onset type similar ultimately to type 1 but initially presents a bit like type 2. https://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_lada.html will explain better than I can.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @ColinS

There are two meters that have cheap strips and both are popular on this forum for self funding T2s.
The Codefree and the Tee2. You can't normally buy these in pharmacies.

Try here for the Codefree meter
http://homehealth-uk.com/product-category/blood-glucose/blood-glucose-monitor/

and here for the extra strips
http://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/sd-codefree-test-strips-to-be-used-only-with-the-sd-monitor/

There are discount codes if you buy in bulk. (applied at the check out stage)
5 packs 264086
10 packs 975833

The Tee2+ is here
http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product-category/shop/tee2/

Don’t forget to check the box that you have diabetes so you can buy VAT free. (for either meter)

Reactions: ColinS and kitedoc

ColinS

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thanks HSSS and Bluetit
I will look at the 2 meters you have suggested thanks.
I have read through the information i had from the Diabetes course, the course was in 2013 so some information may be out of date. To be honest i amnot too impressed with my Dr, i would have thought the Dr surgery should be giving more information and help. Is there any way i can join the hospital Diabetes clinic or do i have to be refered by the Dr?.
Thanks all for the advice you are giving me it has been very helpful and talking to people who are going through what i am going trrough gives me more confidence in the advice i am getting.
Thanks

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks HSSS and Bluetit
I will look at the 2 meters you have suggested thanks.
I have read through the information i had from the Diabetes course, the course was in 2013 so some information may be out of date. To be honest i amnot too impressed with my Dr, i would have thought the Dr surgery should be giving more information and help. Is there any way i can join the hospital Diabetes clinic or do i have to be refered by the Dr?.
Thanks all for the advice you are giving me it has been very helpful and talking to people who are going through what i am going trrough gives me more confidence in the advice i am getting.
Thanks

It is not in the least bit unusual for Type 2s to receive little or no information from their GPs. The diabetes nurses are marginally better. In fact, some are very good. It is the norm for GPs to devolve all T2 diabetes care to the nurse. I have been diagnosed for over 5 years now and have never once seen a GP about my diabetes - not even when I was first diagnosed. I see the nurse, who is excellent. As for the hospital diabetes clinic, these are mainly for Type 1s or for those with particular problems and other types of diabetes.

This website and the forum attached to it is the best place there is for advice.

Edited to remove an inappropriate sentence.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ponchu and kitedoc