Low Carb Help Please

Real_Lea

Hi Guys, my first post here, hoping to benefit from your knowledge please.

I have been low carbing for almost 4 weeks now and while i am positive that this way of eating is best for me - controls my cravings, Blood sugar etc - Im really struggling to lose weight. In my 1st week I lost 6lb(starting weight was 214) week 2 only a pound, week 3 up and down a pound, this week - nowt! I have lost 10.5cm over all my measurements but am finding this scale malarky frustrating. The first time I tried low carb I lost 10lb in the first 10 days(a family member did point out to me though that was 2 years ago and im getting older now, Im 38!) Sorry for the moaning, I just dont know how to fix this. I have been under 30 net carbs, most times closer to 20. I tried tracking my calories when things werent moving and am between 1100 and 1400 cals per day. Literally THE only difference(apart from my age ) from last time I did this is I have a bit of soya milk in a cup of tea but in terms of carbs the nutritional info states its barely anything.
I have no desire to give up as I am determined to improve my health but would really appreciate any feedback you have.
Lea

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
dairy stalls my weight loss- I cut it down to a minimum last week so apart from butter I didn't have any creamy or very cheesy dishes and seemed to resolve the issue - I've read others sometimes have the same reaction to dairy and weight

Reactions: jpscloud

Spl@

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Humans that only take.
Sometimes it just stops.

My weight loss stopped at Christmas. Something I was very happy about. Now 6 weeks later its started again. I know I really don't want to lose more. Don't know why it stopped. Don't know why it stared.

Also. Your body may be in panic mode hanging onto things thinking its under threat due to the sudden food shortage.
Eating more may actually help weightless.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would just keep on, keeping on.
If you are content with this way of eating long term, then give it time to settle.
Some people lose nothing, then it wooshes down for a bit, stalls, and then does it again.
Me? I lost nearly 2 stone when I went keto, but it took over a year to do it, then stalled for 4 years, then lost another stone.
It is a long game.

This graphic sums it up nicely :D

51b20b8fd12b2a34bb9b1cb1ac4db29c.jpg

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello and welcome! I'm low carbing with intermittent fasting, and find that weight loss is coming relatively easily - however I do have a lot more than you to lose! Could you consider some intermittent fasting to kick start weight loss?

Reactions: Serena51 and jjraak

sninge

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have found it a very slow road with the weight loss on low carb, the same as you have found controlling my sugars sooo much easier but the whole of last yr I only lost 7lbs, since xmas I have also started fasting 2 days a week and have already lost about 9lbs!
A close friend of mine ( also type1 ) as been trying low carb since xmas and had the same results, great blood sugars but no weight loss, in fact she has put a couple of lbs on!!
But don't lose sight of what you have achieved, great results with your blood and the inches lost!! Well done!

Reactions: jpscloud

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
221AC4DD-A809-4AA8-B0E2-C447ACC17539.jpeg
Not sure this is scientifically correct but it does seem to be accurate in terms of what appears to happen. Lots of people have the same experience as you. Another graphic I can’t find right now shows a drop, followed by a period of “healing” and then more steady loss. It happens enough that these explanations get spread about so right or wrong it identifies a common experience. Stick with it and it’ll happen.

Also take a note of measurements and shape (photos). This often changes before weight does. And really as your metabolic health improves - the most important and urgent thing- which it already is doing the weight will follow.

Are you testing your bloods? This will tell you a lot about how your choices are effecting you and perhaps give you motivation it is doing good.

Last edited:
Reactions: lovinglife

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You might be eating too little.
We are so conditioned to the beliefs of those who wish to be heard that we restrict calories and fat, and then are puzzled when our bodies react to that by reducing our metabolic rate and refusing to comply with what we think.
There are copies of various Dr Atkins books for free download, but if you can find the 2003 edition of New Diet Revolution is gives a lot of good advice about eating, weightloss and diabetes.