do I need permission? should-shouldn't I?

ClaireG 06

Thats lovely Sparkles :D What a great way of looking at things. Your right, there are a lot of gardeners here of differing sorts. I like gardening but we're renting so i garden in pots. I used to be a nursery nurse so was a gardener of the children i looked after and am a Mum so garden my children :lol: I also like to think i'm a kind, caring person and will do what i can to help others :D You are also right that there has to be balance in so many things eg a bit of rain and a bit of sunshine :D

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
That was a great post!

I think you should re-post that and give it a good title so all can see and read it!

It's a lovely comparison and i think many can understand, green fingered or not.

In a way you could say diabetes is a garden you need to tend to :)

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Best post I have seen...(not just because DD being a real gardener-which I am)....truly I thought it is beautiful.....love, learning, life, kindness and affection all have to be gardened properly from when we are all small without the true gardening aspect to it,,,we can wilt away and hide in corners......I am so glad that you didn't wilt...and have come back and given us a truly beautiful posting....

bowell

Dislikes
Tablets, Mums with pushchair who push in ,Bus and WC
Bit late to this: Your Not in the army No one need permission to speak

Cilp from : Being There" Movie Mr gardener

[youtube]TYeVQzTVyLk[/youtube]

Bob

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hiya, sparkles an opinion or attitude is a collected summary of your own thoughts and feelings , so if you have anything that is bothering you just ask or say, if you have pre checked the guide lines and clearly know you arnt breaking or damaging them then post ure query, concern, worry, etc . And we will do our best to help you, if you would like us to? Thats what we are here for. Anna.x

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ooooh thats lovely sparkles , I do like it, I find weeding in the garden 'boring' hubby does it for the both of us, I like things in pots its easier! I keep up my old hairdressing skills with topairy gardening give the buxus a hair cut.... shape them into triangles n balls....! Anna.x

sparkles

Hi Patch,

I think I remember that song….

‘standing up in the pouring down…’ and

‘scraps of blame pouring down the drain…

Would that be the same song?

To answer my own question, …Yes it is. Just googled like you suggested.
Can’t put a link though I think it is copyrighted -not sure.

Thanks ClaireGo6!
Ebony … I dont think I should repost. I posted it in the discussions section (as some people suggested.) but it seems to have either not landed or been removed. But I love the idea of diabetes being a garden that needs to be tended.

DD shucks DD…I’m all embarrassed now… thanks. I did come back but don’t know how much longer I can stay. I’m beginning to think I’m not cut out for this internet thing… I’m glad you liked it.. But thinking about its content and trying to make sense of how I feel and whether I’m doing the right thing looking for information here on this site and not on a different diabetes site… Its exhausting. Added to that its taken me away from the things I love.. My dog, plants and partner are all wanting my attention. My partner is concerned about me. (frankly so am I!)
Thanks Bowell, … just seen the video.
Don’t know the film. Feeling weird now because I cant really understand… are you poking fun at me? What’s it about? Capitol Hill… that’s a fuzzy too.. Government US government may be… So the last guy in the video is he the top dog? The controller? And he is agreeing with the man who is saying growth happens in seasons. They like that. Are they talking about money, plants, multi-nationals, what?
Frankly Im just more confused now. I think I will have to leave. For my own sanity.

sparkles.

viv1969

I really must be getting old and cynical, because at the end of the day all I'm really reading is another "I think I may leave the forums" thread. :roll:

sugar2

viv1969 said:
I really must be getting old and cynical, because at the end of the day all I'm really reading is another "I think I may leave the forums" thread. :roll:

Sorry.me too..but Sparkles, absolutely, you should post...as you can see, other love it! take care

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hiya, sparkles. There is no 'one' magic answer to all the questions you or we have rattleing around inside our heads, if you try to exhaust yourself seeking the holy grail to everything you will go into brain overload. Time to chill, grab a brew, give your partner a cuddle, go out into your garden, and thank MR GOD for all he provides. We will still be here for you when you take time out n return to us for a natter n support. Love yourself too your human, one of us, and we care . Anna.x

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Your post was way to zen for me Sparkles you lost me after the second paragraph, but just like diabetes every garden is different, mine has an area of stinging nettles that grow to about 5 feet tall every year and a friend said to me "you really should cut all that down and sort out that corner, your garden would look much nicer if you did" To which I replied "if I cut all those nettles down where would the cabbage white butterflys lay their eggs? to me a garden without birds and insects is not a garden at all".

But were all different of course. What do I know :D

sparkles

You're so right there anna29. Time to switch the computer off. will try to come back in a week or so. glad you care. We are all Cave babies really... pity you didn't understand Sid. I did try to accommodate the idea that beauty is in the eye of the beholder and people do things differently. And ecology too. Never mind. I tried to save the world. perhaps thats part of the problem...

see you all later. Well see your avatars if youve got one. :D
sparkles.

sparkles

I guess people who land here on planet ‘diabetes.co.uk’ are looking for info about diabetes.
I know I was…
This is how I met Sid.

Sid said …..Way too Zen for me! (see his post above)
I try to understand Sid and I hope and think Sid is trying to understand me
We are just two people out of many in a ship called humanity.
And we often don’t understand each other.

But we often don’t understand ourselves.
Life is full of things I don’t understand

carrying on the idea in the post I made about gardening here in this thread.

Is it the Gardiner in me that wants to know?

There are ‘ladies’ and there are ‘insects’ and there are ‘birds’
And I ‘know ‘ all three.
At least I ‘think’ I do.
But I have never really understood is
How the ‘insect’ called the ‘Ladybird’ got its name?
I mean a ‘lady ‘is not a ‘bird’
And neither a ‘bird’ nor a ‘lady’ is an ‘insect’
So why did the insect called the ‘ladybird’ come to be known as the ‘ladybird?’
A. Can anyone tell me…
B. Can anyone explain?
C. Or is it too trivial for me to ask?
D. Or just not right to ask here on a site dedicated to ‘diabetes’

Another example.
Blackbirds are birds. The Female blackbirds are BROWN: and the male blackbirds are BLACK.
So why have we come to know this type of bird as ‘Blackbirds?’
I don’t understand.
Half of the Blackbird population is brown. So why call hem Black? Birds.

Diabetes is a lot of things to a lot of people.
Ask anyone
the ‘what’ ‘where’ ‘why’ and ‘how’ of diabetes
And I think you’ll get a lot of different answers and only some of them you’ll understand.

By the way Sid
I like your (what’s that thing called -signiture, statement, motto) yours is

'Scientists use statistics like drunks use lampposts, for support rather than illumination'

I like it. But why when I read it did I make the connection of lampposts and pee?
It totally hijacked and corrupted your intended meaning for me.
I thought of drunks as ‘peeing on lampposts’ instead of ‘leaning on lamposts for support.’
So I think I missed the point a bit.
I think I took it to be a slur on scientists rather than just a statement about them and how they work with statistics... and the idea that scientists could instead be using statistics to illuminate,

Duh… Cave Baby me!
(right... time to put the computer away again...)
Sparkles

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Blimey sparkles, my only advice to you is to ask Mr God, as he created all nature n mankind, the answers lie with the creator. So much in this world n life is above and beyond us all. Take time out n 'rest' your brain or you will end up making yourself ill. Trust in the nice things in life n be grateful to and for them. Things become easier to enjoy and accept then.... Anna.x

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
From a fellow gardener I see all Sparkles questions..and I haven't any answers!!!!!!!

I am the same with diabetes in many ways...it lives with me, I grow and learn with it, I learn lessons from it...and hope to improve...the same as my garden really....I learn lessons from it, I hope to improve it...but it never ceases to amaze me.....

My diabetes is sometime like this too....I can think 'wey hey!!!!' cracked it!!!!!!' and the next day the weather will change...my pain will change...and my circumstances change to think....perhaps I haven't.....but hey...next time this happens I will do this....

Having a look at my onions with their fat necks today...(definitely NOT show winners this year!!!)....I think 'oops messed up there-planted too early-won't buy stuttgareter (can't spell) onions again.....and move on....

I get amazed avery day by seeing wildlife and gardens and nature...and I do balance this with my life...I will never get perfection in my garden there will always be something to add, change or to think about...same with my life in general....and my diabetes......hugely improved by the pump....have met some fantastic people....but medicines will change over the next few years....and so will I...so will always have to adapt and keep marvelling at the who, what, where, when and why's of humanity and nature....

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
sparkles said:
I guess people who land here on planet ‘diabetes.co.uk’ are looking for info about diabetes.
I know I was…
This is how I met Sid.

Sid said …..Way too Zen for me! (see his post above)
I try to understand Sid and I hope and think Sid is trying to understand me
We are just two people out of many in a ship called humanity.
And we often don’t understand each other.

But we often don’t understand ourselves.
Life is full of things I don’t understand

carrying on the idea in the post I made about gardening here in this thread.

Is it the Gardiner in me that wants to know?

There are ‘ladies’ and there are ‘insects’ and there are ‘birds’
And I ‘know ‘ all three.
At least I ‘think’ I do.
But I have never really understood is
How the ‘insect’ called the ‘Ladybird’ got its name?
I mean a ‘lady ‘is not a ‘bird’
And neither a ‘bird’ nor a ‘lady’ is an ‘insect’
So why did the insect called the ‘ladybird’ come to be known as the ‘ladybird?’
A. Can anyone tell me…
B. Can anyone explain?
C. Or is it too trivial for me to ask?
D. Or just not right to ask here on a site dedicated to ‘diabetes’

I think

Another example.
Blackbirds are birds. The Female blackbirds are BROWN: and the male blackbirds are BLACK.
So why have we come to know this type of bird as ‘Blackbirds?’
I don’t understand.
Half of the Blackbird population is brown. So why call hem Black? Birds.

Diabetes is a lot of things to a lot of people.
Ask anyone
the ‘what’ ‘where’ ‘why’ and ‘how’ of diabetes
And I think you’ll get a lot of different answers and only some of them you’ll understand.

By the way Sid
I like your (what’s that thing called -signiture, statement, motto) yours is

'Scientists use statistics like drunks use lampposts, for support rather than illumination'

I like it. But why when I read it did I make the connection of lampposts and pee?
It totally hijacked and corrupted your intended meaning for me.
I thought of drunks as ‘peeing on lampposts’ instead of ‘leaning on lamposts for support.’
So I think I missed the point a bit.
I think I took it to be a slur on scientists rather than just a statement about them and how they work with statistics... and the idea that scientists could instead be using statistics to illuminate,

Duh… Cave Baby me!
(right... time to put the computer away again...)
Sparkles

I think lady birds were called lady birds because they are far too pretty looking to be called 'bug' or 'insect' and it sort of opens it wings from inside, like an actual bird. it's wings don't stick out like any old insect!! and i think it looks more lady like that other 'insects' with its pretty colours and spots. Reminds me of those skirts like from grease, when i was little my mum had one that was knee length and flared out a little and was red with black spots.

With blackbirds, maybe it was named then they discovered that the females were brown afterwards.

Scientisty guy number1 : 'hey look, it's black.. errr..blackbird! that'll do... time to name that slithery thing over there..'
Scientisty guy number2 : 'Hold on, that brown one over there looks alot like your blackbird bird thing?..'
scientisty guy number 1 : 'ohhh errrrm... iiii..ermmm... It's already named now tough!'

Some time later....

Scientisty guy number 3 : 'AAAAWE look at that pretty bug over there' *touches* 'WOAAAAH IT FLIEEEES!!!'
Scientisty guy number 2 : 'Lets call it 'spotty bug'?'
Scientisy guy number 1 : 'How about spotty bird?'
Scientisty guy number 3 : 'no no no.. we shall call it elephant'
Scientisty guy number 2 : 'i was saving that for something huge...'

*lots of bickering later amongst the guys...*

Scientisty girl comes along... : 'oooooh a ladybird'

All scientisty guys : '****.'

Maybe i should put the computer away because that was a bit strange and i got carried away but i sort of like it now :):)

bowell

Dislikes
Tablets, Mums with pushchair who push in ,Bus and WC
The name "ladybird" originated in Britain where the insects became known as "Our Lady's bird" or the "Lady beetle". Mary (Our Lady) was often depicted wearing a red cloak in early paintings

Ref:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coccinellidae

220px-Ladybugsmating.jpg

[youtube]zi6wNGwd84g[/youtube]

Gappy

Dislikes
hypocrisy, prejudice and the corrupt legal system (never got compensation I deserved from an accident)
Nah I think I prefer Ebony's theory!