Blood Glucose Spike

TheFloppyOne

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My question

Is a spike of blood glucose up to 7.5 mmol after 30 mins of a meal anything to worry about?
I was told I was out of the pre-diabetic danger soon few months ago but just want to make sure I'm ok.

1 hour after BG went to 5.8 mmol/l then 2 hour later BG went to 5.7 mmol/l. My BG is usally around 4.5 to 5.6 mmol/l.
Will try fasting BG tomorrow when I haven't ate for 16 hours.

The food I ate was a Chicken Tikka Mayo sandwich with 2 Tomatos, Lettuce, real Butter on two slices of wholemeal bread.
I also ate the whole lettuce as well.
See here:
https://groceries.asda.com/product/sandwich-fillers/asda-chicken-tikka/910002250583
https://groceries.asda.com/product/...quare-cut-medium-wholemeal-bread/910002989489

Background info.

For the past 6 months I've been on the Low Carb Program / Dr Berg Keto. I've lost 80 lbs and lost 10 inches off my waist. Blood Glucose dropped from 9.8 all the way down to 4.5 mmol/l.

Today I decided to introduce a carb based meal to see how my BG would react.

I ate roughly 40g of complex carbohydrate (processed food rubbish basically).

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would say that was normal after 30 minutes and the rest of your levels are fine

TheFloppyOne

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I would say that was normal after 30 minutes and the rest of your levels are fine

Well tomorrow I am going to try the dreaded Baked Potato. Gonna be 1 week of carb-rubbish then back onto Keto. I miss Keto mode already.

Will have to do lots of exercise tomorrow to get rid of the energy stored in my muscles.

Thanks

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
When I did my diabetic food course (waste of time) they did say that everyone (even normal folk) blood sugars rise after eating. Hence why you only test at the 2 hour mark.

It’s perfectly normal
And just the body within the 2!hours. If I ever get curious and check early they can be as high as 17 but then go down to a more normal 8 ish

TheFloppyOne

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
When I did my diabetic food course (waste of time) they did say that everyone (even normal folk) blood sugars rise after eating. Hence why you only test at the 2 hour mark.

It’s perfectly normal
And just the body within the 2!hours. If I ever get curious and check early they can be as high as 17 but then go down to a more normal 8 ish

Ye I am a paranoid checker. Never thought I'd get so much pleasure pricking my fingers lol.

Reactions: Pasha

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Ye I am a paranoid checker. Never thought I'd get so much pleasure pricking my fingers lol.

It wears off.

When I’m working I go all day without checking.

Do it more at home.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well tomorrow I am going to try the dreaded Baked Potato. Gonna be 1 week of carb-rubbish then back onto Keto. I miss Keto mode already.

Will have to do lots of exercise tomorrow to get rid of the energy stored in my muscles.

Thanks

Can I just ask why you are eating "carb-rubbish" even for a week?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@TheFloppyOne - I'm not trying to disuade you from doing anything you choose, nor am I telling you off, but the fact you can eat x, y or z without too many issues as a one-off, doesn't mean your body can cope with it every day, or regularly.

It's your body to experiment with if you choose, but if you do, please do it mindfully.

ardvark

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Like you I'm new to this game. I get confussed as well. Some of the ---- I eat as an experiment does nothing to my sugar yet low carb things make my sugar go up a bit. I think it's a thing where everyone reacts differently.

Last edited:

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@TheFloppyOne

Is it simply that you want to check to see if you can get by on a less restrictive diet from now on?

Or is this the clue you give for the “experiment”:

I was told I was out of the pre-diabetic danger soon few months ago but just want to make sure I'm ok.”

Mod edit for off topic comment.

Last edited by a moderator:
M

Member496333

Slippery ground, in my opinion. What’s fine today may be slightly less fine tomorrow, and then a little bit less fine the day after that, even if it’s in immeasurable increments. You became pre/diabetic once before over the course of many years, and the same mechanism can make you become pre/diabetic again.

Clearly you’re free to do as you wish, but be vigilant, and certainly continue self monitoring from time to time irrespective of current control. That would be my advice anyway :)

Reactions: Listlad

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Slippery ground, in my opinion. What’s fine today may be slightly less fine tomorrow, and then a little bit less fine the day after that, even if it’s in immeasurable increments. You became pre/diabetic once before over the course of many years, and the same mechanism can make you become pre/diabetic again.

Clearly you’re free to do as you wish, but be vigilant, and certainly continue self monitoring from time to time irrespective of current control. That would be my advice anyway :)
I find your post quite helpful there Jim. I have a nice set of figures hovering at the 41 mmol/mol mark but that could easily change should my body parts deteriorate, regardless of my current diet.

M

Member496333

I find your post quite helpful there Jim. I have a nice set of figures hoevering at the 41 mmol/l mark but that could easily change should my body parts deteriorate, regardless of my diet.

Yeah I just like to stay frosty. For example I now have no need to measure my glucose. Nothing I ever eat is going to cause me problems, but I know that if I don’t stay in the game I may someday get sloppy. To each his own and all that, but I’ve read and experienced this myself a hundred times - get confident, get sloppy, get back where you started. I believe some refer to it as “carb creep” but I call it just slowly filling the body with sugar again, one day at a time.

TheFloppyOne

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yeah I just like to stay frosty. For example I now have no need to measure my glucose. Nothing I ever eat is going to cause me problems, but I know that if I don’t stay in the game I may someday get sloppy. To each his own and all that, but I’ve read and experienced this myself a hundred times - get confident, get sloppy, get back where you started. I believe some refer to it as “carb creep” but I call it just slowly filling the body with sugar again, one day at a time.

True but its been like 6 months since I touched carbs.Just testing a few foods then switching back to Keto. I don't exactly like putting this stuff in my body but I don't exactly have the luxury of a glucose intolerance test because the NHS is broke in my area.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
True but its been like 6 months since I touched carbs.Just testing a few foods then switching back to Keto. I don't exactly like putting this stuff in my body but I don't exactly have the luxury of a glucose intolerance test because the NHS is broke in my area.
You can get your own Rapilose solution(what the NHS use) and do a home test.. quite a few of us have done it using finger prick tests every 15 minutes to plot..