Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Thanks for that link which lead me on to this Jason Fung podcast about autophagy

I'm fasting for a few days this week so I'm interested to hear JF suggest that bone broth while fasting may prevent autophagy.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for that link which lead me on to this Jason Fung podcast about autophagy

I'm fasting for a few days this week so I'm interested to hear JF suggest that bone broth while fasting may prevent autophagy.
The science behind autophagy is still very young..I'm guessing that water only would be the way to "guarantee" that you get into the right state.. a bit like less than 20g of carbs per day will "guarantee" ketosis. I'm sure JF knows more bout it than me but no-one can really say what will prevent it or not as we have no way of measuring it even.

Reactions: Chook

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Biochemical Housekeeping is how I think of autophagy. Interesting video.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
The science behind autophagy is still very young..I'm guessing that water only would be the way to "guarantee" that you get into the right state.. a bit like less than 20g of carbs per day will "guarantee" ketosis. I'm sure JF knows more bout it than me but no-one can really say what will prevent it or not as we have no way of measuring it even.

Right... looks like it needs to be a water only fast. No cream in coffee. :meh:

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@bulkbiker ! Glad you foundit interesting
I spent 15 days of janaury water fasting ( 3 x 5) I had a dexa scan last week to discover that I am in the 99th percentile ( ie the top = good) of lean body mass and bone mass ( under the blubber) so it seems that my not eating anything at all for few days did not remove any of my lean body mass . ( I always knew I was strong !)

God knows if it did me any good ! - they don;'t seem tobe able to measure the actual effects of autophagy yet.

This presentation gets a lot more technical... interesting stuff

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you like him? Im not a fan..too many mouse studies and not enough fasting..

I personally don't agree with his vegan bias, but I think his studies over the years has many important contribution to the topic of extended fasting and how it resets our immune system as a whole. At the very least it validates that a 3-5 day water fast is generally safe and worth pursuing... :D.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It is also not true that he only does mouse studies...

https://news.usc.edu/116479/scientifically-designed-fasting-diet-lowers-risks-for-major-diseases/

It is just that large scale study on fasting would have its challenges...it seems easier to fund such research when fasting is productized ...

It would have been so much more impressive if they had included a cohort that had simply fasted "properly" for 5 days a month too.. I'm not sure why that would have been so hard to so...
It's a bit like the studies that claim eating a WFPB diet is better than a SAD.. well that's hardly surprising but from that it is often concluded that the WFPB diet is the "best".

Reactions: Carl13128

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I personally don't agree with his vegan bias, but I think his studies over the years has many important contribution to the topic of extended fasting and how it resets our immune system as a whole. At the very least it validates that a 3-5 day water fast is generally safe and worth pursuing... :D.

I rather lost interest with his " fasting mimicking Prolon formula" expensive, totally processed and to my mind simply taking the basic science and distorting it to make money. In reality many find eating nothing is easier than eating a bit, once you get over day one.

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I rather lost interest with his " fasting mimicking Prolon formula" expensive, totally processed and to my mind simply taking the basic science and distorting it to make money. In reality many find eating nothing is easier than eating a bit, once you get over day one.

I think his initial challenge was in getting cancer patients to fast before their chemo treatments. And that met with lots of objections...so he had to work out a meal plan that could mimic the protective/regenerative effects of fasting and at the same time satisfy the demands of all the other healthcare providers...

But as we all know...a 3-5 days water fast is actually much easier, especially if you have already been on low carb/keto.

Spl@

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Humans that only take.
Interesting thread. Seeing Dr Fung say that you can likely be in autophagy while consuming pure fat (meaning bulletproof coffee) was not something I expected.
Especially as I love the stuff. So if I'm getting this right. As a keto on omad (odd weekend wobbles) I may well be having a little bit of auotophagy every day.
That has to be a good thing.

Still thinking of having a proper fast to see what it's like. Only problem is the wife thinks I don't eat enough now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chook