Superfood Salad in London

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Self testing gives individual, real time feedback on the food and drink consumed. Asking anyone else is just asking us t

Different people, even those looking very similar in profile, blood test results and so on an return wildly differing blood results from any given food or combination of foods.

Frankly, resisting testing is not doing you any favours, but that is your decision to make.

In my view the investment I made in meter and strips at diagnosis was some of my money best spent. I wasn't interested Ina wait and see game. I wanted result asap.
Again I agree. Statistically I am not diabetic and if I was then there would be no hesitation. However. I will know in a matter of a week or two my latest HbA1c and will take it from there. If it is bad news then so be it and will get the meter then. And will probably buy a Libre for my trip to Rome in April. I have always wanted to visit Rome and so have booked a holiday there. But it might well prove a challenge going there on a LCHF diet.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What no Maccy D's? Ditch the fries and bun and eat the burger?
Burger King are happy to provide bunless burgers and give you a knife and fork to eat it with..
Ha. I tried this in Burger King today. We were in the Strand just off Trafalagar Square and looking for food of some description. So we ended up in Burger King where I had a bun less bacon whopper without fries and with water. No knife and fork, just a spoon. :D

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
View attachment 31384

“A generous mix of quinoa, lentils, vegetables and sweet potato tossed with edamame beans on a bed of mixed salad with a tangy lemon and herb dressing finished with a topping of linseed, flax, hemp and rapeseed. With shredded chicken.”

Whilst being the tourist today this was about the best I could find to eat at the end of the day. Presumably this is a step in the right direction. It was hard finding anything better on the menu. It was very tasty.

There was no sweet potato despite the description on the menu.

Hi Listlad, it's hard isn't it? That food looks lovely and healthy but the problem (when you are trying to low carb) is that it probably contains the same amount of carbs as a sandwich. Two slices of bread (aprox 30/40carbs plus the filling), this salad, with the beans/quinoa/lentils and a dressing that you can guarantee has 'hidden' sugar in it is also probably around 30/40 carbs. You are pre diabetic so I am sure you managed to tolerate it but without testing (as others have said) you really are guessing. Essentially there is nothing wrong per se with this dish unless you are following a very low carb diet and if you are like me, sometimes the thought of swapping it for 3 sausages or a bacon burger seems like a sacrilege.

Reactions: Listlad

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Listlad, it's hard isn't it? That food looks lovely and healthy but the problem (when you are trying to low carb) is that it probably contains the same amount of carbs as a sandwich. Two slices of bread (aprox 30/40carbs plus the filling), this salad, with the beans/quinoa/lentils and a dressing that you can guarantee has 'hidden' sugar in it is also probably around 30/40 carbs. You are pre diabetic so I am sure you managed to tolerate it but without testing (as others have said) you really are guessing. Essentially there is nothing wrong per se with this dish unless you are following a very low carb diet and if you are like me, sometimes the thought of swapping it for 3 sausages or a bacon burger seems like a sacrilege.
Exactly. I am neither low nor ultra low carbing. Just reduced carbing.

When we went into the restaurant we had to go with what was on the menu and as the menu didn’t state the carbs in each meal, I had to make what I thought was the best choice, a judgement call. With the benefit of hindsight and some help from yourself and a couple of other posters I will be alert to those ingredients in the future. I suspect you are correct and that the dressing might well have been the most significant amongst that lot.

You are correct. It is hard when you are travelling and away from home. And one can get sick of burgers without buns or chicken drumsticks from Morrison’s. :D

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Exactly. I am neither low nor ultra low carbing. Just reduced carbing.

When we went into the restaurant we had to go with what was on the menu and as the menu didn’t state the carbs in each meal, I had to make what I thought was the best choice, a judgement call. With the benefit of hindsight and some help from yourself and a couple of other posters I will be alert to those ingredients in the future. I suspect that the dressing might well have been the most significant amongst that lot.

You are correct. It is hard when you are travelling and away from home. And one can get sick of burgers without buns or chicken drumsticks from Morrison’s. :D

Listlad, if you are not low/ultra low then this meal would probably have been an excellent choice. The thing is that none of us know for sure unless we test it. I fully understand the stance you are taking at the moment though and hope that when you do get your results through you will have a better idea of how to manage whatever the diagnosis. One thing you can say, if your food before all of this was 'normal' then you would have been consuming 100s of carbs so in comparison to now you are doing WELL. x

Reactions: Listlad

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Listlad, if you are not low/ultra low then this meal would probably have been an excellent choice. The thing is that none of us know for sure unless we test it. I fully understand the stance you are taking at the moment though and hope that when you do get your results through you will have a better idea of how to manage whatever the diagnosis. One thing you can say, if your food before all of this was 'normal' then you would have been consuming 100s of carbs so in comparison to now you are doing WELL. x
Thanks a lot. That’s how I tend to see it as what I was eating before was off scale. Unlike my family today I didn’t have the bun, the fries and they had the Krispy Kreme doughnuts and I didn’t.

You are right. Even though I am not low or ultra low carbing I have radically reduced the number of carbs that I am consuming.

Thanks for recognising that.