What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

BibaBee

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi everyone and how lovely to see you @ziggy_w ,so sorry to hear about your leg issues still though.

Lots of fasting going on here. Brilliant stuff @Goonergal ( I love it when I get free Nandos rewards too) @Chook and @Emma_369 well done to all of you.
@maglil55 you said things kept jumping into your trolley at Lakeland - did you manage to wrestle them out again? If not what did you buy?
@zauberflote I am coming round to your way if thinking that perhaps ‘sweets are not a thing I should have’ sometimes it’s just more sensible to do without.
@Rachox 2 omelettes today! I do hope you get home tomorrow is your OH bringing in extra supplies of Greek yogurt and phd bars?
Just had 2 medium meals today 4 hrs apart 10:30 and 2:30
10:30 after gym smoked salmon scrambled egg and avocado
2:30 (latest I can eat before yoga at 6:15 orherwise I feel ill) baked gammon broccoli and cauliflower in blue cheese sauce
Having peppermint tea now in preparation for tomorrow’s Thriva blood letting
Well done @shelley262 on filling those larger than expected tubes and I hope you managed to sort out those worries you mentioned.
@Brunneria hugs for the medium bad results but yay! For the not terrible. I’ll look up the other thread in a sec.
How do you manage not eating after yoga? I was starving afterwards!

Reactions: zauberflote

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@DJC3 - things that find their way into the Lakeland basket do not escape again! It was mostly stuff I wanted to restock. A magic liner for the newly cleaned range, more greaseproof squares and soup n' sauce bags, special brushes for nooks and crannies & grout. I also got a shaped baking tray for the baguettes. My last Dr Almond ciabatta was a bit misshapen so the tray will help. Great little thing was the sonic scrubber with different heads. Little hand held thing but very powerful. Used it on the annoying cooker hood glass and all marks gone now. The one thing I went for was a powder you put in a deep fat fryer which turns the oil solid so you can just bin it.
Rest was just various wipes and cleaning things but I did get a couple of cleaning sprays free. Obviously trying to promote them.
So nothing too exciting except for the sonic scrubby thing.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
18/02
Breakfast: cup of tea
Second breakfast: scrambled egg, spinach, and cheese. Coffee
Lunch: soup, half a slice of homemade bread. How could I resist?
Dinner: salmon, tiny piece of yesterday's fish roast, leeks, broccoli, asparagus.
Small piece of Apple pie with ice cream.
Sounds like a lot, but way under calories needed@-767
Although also only about 73g carbs

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

Thanks so much for the welcome back, @Goonergal, @shelley262, @DJC3 and @maglil55. Missed you all a lot while I was missing in action.

@Goonergal -- Yes, definitely imagine being hungry right before going to bed would be hard. Nothing much you can do to distract yourself either. I am in awe of you.
@DJC3 and @shelley262 -- Keeping my fingers crossed for your Thriva? blood tests.
@Brunneria -- Looked at your results on the other thread -- I think the stress with your dogs definitely influenced your test -- at least stress plays havoc on my body anyway. Hugs.
@maglil55, @DJC3 and @zauberflote -- Thanks for kind wishes re my leg. Yes, I am seriously frustrated. Worked hard for the last three and half year, going running on the elliptical trainer for up to an hour most days hoping to improve things, definitely seeing a slow but gradual improvement myself -- but after the doctor's visit wonder if it's all worthwhile. They never listen either, do they? Thinking of getting another appointment to clarify some things.

Today's menu:

Breakfast -- Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and erythritol.

Lunch: Two scrambled eggs with mushrooms and chives, an avocado, a salad made with lamb's lettuce, Ranch dressing (carbs 3g/100g), three baby Roma tomatoes and some grated gouda cheese.

Snack: A glass of red wine while doing some grading.

Dinner: A small piece of lamb, a large scoop of cauli mash with butter and potato fibers, white asparagus with sauce Bearnaise, two tablespoons of Oppo vanilla ice cream with candied macadamias (erythritol and clotted cream) and whipped cream.

Last edited:

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@Chook congrats and “winner” (phone app won’t do anything but”like”) on the fast! Don’t you love any and all rewards points!
@ziggy_w yes, all cauliflower is a good idea to try. I never gave the flax roux time to do its thing because it was cream and I didn’t want to let it boil. It should be easy enough to make a test batch with a little milk or water (simulate broth for gravy). Hey! I can have gravy if I find a binder that works!! Not so wild about the egg yolk ideA yet, thanks. Seriously? You lived in Columbia SC?? Mr ZF got both undergrad and grad degrees at Clemson, and his business partner is an alum whose daughter also goes there. SC is a gorgeous state, something for everyone.
@maglil55 but yeast eats all the sugar, right? I will love to know how that goes. I really have missed the smell of my own bread baking for decades!
@Rachox all fingers, toes, legs, and eyelashes crossed for you!
@maglil55 how far had this woman walked? I can’t imagine even driving them all! I read somewhere even driving them can take years if you have other commitments. (Somebody may say, ooo an American who knows what the Knowledge is! Or was I just the last person in the world to find out?)
@DJC3 I am a person who relies on self-made safety nets and rules: “just say no” applies to fake sweets as regular fare. I love having the recipes that might be eaten at a church or family meal occasion, though. That way I don’t ever have to eat my d-i-l’s sister’s special Thanksgiving dessert again The “fences around the law” make me feel quite the Pharisee!
Bfast 1/2 avocado, egg, 2 squares 90% chocolate for wake-me-ups
Lunch 2 cans of flavored seltzer- one tastes just like Dr Pepper, my favoritest soda ever!
Supper. Obviously I will have to work on this fasting thing. I overate because maybe I ate too quickly. Spinach, celery, last two slices of that microwave bread with butter and some pre-Christmas chèvre that surprised me in the cheese drawer, and a giant’s single serve of almond butter with cream. Ugh. Stuffed.
Survived my little 7 hr fast, which included my regular walk. The ol’ mule could smell the stable for the last 3/4 mile though. That and the fact that that last distance us all downhill were all that git me home. I do not know how all of you walk a dozen miles on nothing! And there is No Way I’d do this before performing in public! Adrenaline is an energy thief!
Good morning all who will wake up soon!

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How do you manage not eating after yoga? I was starving afterwards!

I was hungry tbh but was fasting for a blood test this morning. Also it’s gone 8pm by the time I get in and if I eat that late it tends to put my fbg up - and that, in turn makes me glum for the whole day!
Yoga is wonderful isn’t it? I’m a bit rubbish but its a very relaxed class and nobody minds.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 - things that find their way into the Lakeland basket do not escape again! It was mostly stuff I wanted to restock. A magic liner for the newly cleaned range, more greaseproof squares and soup n' sauce bags, special brushes for nooks and crannies & grout. I also got a shaped baking tray for the baguettes. My last Dr Almond ciabatta was a bit misshapen so the tray will help. Great little thing was the sonic scrubber with different heads. Little hand held thing but very powerful. Used it on the annoying cooker hood glass and all marks gone now. The one thing I went for was a powder you put in a deep fat fryer which turns the oil solid so you can just bin it.
Rest was just various wipes and cleaning things but I did get a couple of cleaning sprays free. Obviously trying to promote them.
So nothing too exciting except for the sonic scrubby thing.

I’m going ‘ooh and aah’ just reading it - it’s all exciting stuff from there.

I use cheap cat litter for soaking up oil and liquids if I want to chuck them, think I got the idea from Lakeland originally as they sell these little pellets in a box you just pour the oil into.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@ziggy_w the FBG was due to the extraordinary lateness of my evening meal I expect. I am attempting to skip lunch today. Attempting.
Yep NE clam chowder. I’ve never wanted to make it before but I’ve got a brand new Instant Pot and the recipe promised me 15 minutes. Ha! Cutting to chase, I used celeriac, cauliflower, a little bit of onion, clams, water, butter, butter, cream, cream, and a butter/flax meal roux for the cream. Smoked paprika, bay leaf, thyme, edit to add Worcestershire sauce and would have used maybe a little white wine for deglazing if I’d had any. Mr ZF pronounced it good. The flavor was very good, but not quite yet what I want. It was verrry sweet from the celeriac. Less of that, less water, more paprika, for the next try if there is one. Not cheap to make! And since we go to Cape Cod about 4 times a year, I can save it for a treat and make it the regular way (in a pot on the stove...).
Are you a transplanted New Englander?

I'm so glad you're getting on and using your IP. So many folks buy them, then get a bit scared it'll all go wrong, which is a shame.

I'm afraid I can be a bit lazy when it comes to browning, in that I often don't and don't find the flavour is affected, or if I do brown, I'll often do it in a skillet. That way I am assured nothing sticks due to ineffective deglazing, then going to pressure.

On still jealous of all the models in the US, as I'd like a baby one for small and side dishes.

Last edited:

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I use cheap cat litter for soaking up oil and liquids if I want to chuck them, think I got the idea from Lakeland originally as they sell these little pellets in a box you just pour the oil into.
I love the cat liter idea, provided we don't have to have the matching cat.

Last edited:

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@jjraak - meant to say I do variations of that chicken dish. The constants are the battered out chicken breast, the sliced avocado and the cheese slice. I use gouda because it's a nice big slice.
Variations - sometimes I crumb the escalope in my mix of almond flour, parmesan, flaxseed meal, sesame seeds but even the crumb varies as I can add parsley, lemon rind or paprika to the mix. After crumbing I just pan fry and layer as before.
You already know last one I did some crispy streaky bacon and added that under the layers. Another is to take a little bit of pineapple and cut it very thin to put on as a bottom layer. Only reason I cut very thin is to minimise the amount of pineapple I use.
Another option is to swap the avocado for thinly sliced fried aubergine slices topped with fried mushrooms and home made chopped tomatoes cooked (you don't want the sugar in the bought version) and finished with the melted cheese. A bit like aubergine parmigiana topping.
No doubt more variations will come to me.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I love the cat liter idea, provided we don't ha ve to have the matching cat.

No we didn’t have a cat - I just bought a bag of the economy litter and it worked a treat. I put it in any old jars or cartons that weren’t recyclable so would go in the bin anyway.

Reactions: maglil55 and Chook

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@jjraak - meant to say I do variations of that chicken dish. The constants are the battered out chicken breast, the sliced avocado and the cheese slice. I use gouda because it's a nice big slice.
Variations - sometimes I crumb the escalope in my mix of almond flour, parmesan, flaxseed meal, sesame seeds but even the crumb varies as I can add parsley, lemon rind or paprika to the mix. After crumbing I just pan fry and layer as before.
You already know last one I did some crispy streaky bacon and added that under the layers. Another is to take a little bit of pineapple and cut it very thin to put on as a bottom layer. Only reason I cut very thin is to minimise the amount of pineapple I use.
Another option is to swap the avocado for thinly sliced fried aubergine slices topped with fried mushrooms and home made chopped tomatoes cooked (you don't want the sugar in the bought version) and finished with the melted cheese. A bit like aubergine parmigiana topping.
No doubt more variations will come to me.
@maglil55
YOU are a STAR.

Not the best of cooks, but i was salivating thinking of all the easy ways to improve such a simple dash as chicken.

am working with avocado more now, sort of gotten used to the bland taste
my next step in VEG is to start trying to use aubergine...i saw recipe for chocolate brownies that used them..(not too sure but going to try it) and the greeks do a stuffed aubergine with mince, i've enjoyed that when we've been there
..so that will be be my next BIG idea...( after i have ago at the |Keto easy muffins AND the one of bread recipes.)

there's stuff i won't be able to do in the kitchen, but it wont be for the won't of trying..;):D

thanks to you, @shelley262 , and all the others great cooks on here, you've all showed me the ways to do things i never really considered before.
sure the recipes, i can read and make sense of (sort of) but its that practical help with ideas and the simple how to's, that really make it, for me anyway.
(i suppose, in an unintentional sexist view it's like a few women who drop the car off to be fixed at garage, where i might get the spanners out and get dirty for an hour or so.
.just reverse that and make it a kitchen..i understand the terms, tools and processes of the mechanical world, ...not so confident with even some of the new words..braising, saute, etc..and half the FOOD i've never tasted or even heard of before
....so its a real uphill battle..;LoL :hilarious: )

cheers

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

They have the fat trappers now (yes I have one) which is a lidded plastic box with a thing in it that looks a bit cardboard like but it absorbs the fat really well. Not well enough to cope with the contents of a deep fat fryer though. At least this saves me digging around to find a vessel to put the oil in to dispose of it at recycling.
I love Lakeland. How a store manages to make things like cleaning, baking and storage implements interesting I don't know but I love a peaceful wander around and usually end up buying more than I went in for!
Hubby thought it was bad enough when there was just Dobbies there - then they added Lakeland and then Hotter (all my shoes are Hotter ). 3 favourites in one place = Hubby nightmares!

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Hello everyone and thank you for your kind good wishes.

This is the second day of my fast. Physically I'm doing okay - nothing like as hungry as yesterday but feeling cold and very tired despite having slept from 11 last night to 9.30 this morning (10.5 hours - shock!) and probably wouldn't have woken then except for Mr C getting worried and waking me up to see if I was okay. I'm hoping I'll get over the tiredness.

Drinks - same as yesterday - water, black decaff coffee and fruit/herbal teas.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@ziggy_w 's cauliflower mash with potato fiber - not flour - set me researching. Seems the addition of fibre has the potential to make LC baked goods palatable. Tracked some down in UK in 300 gms ,so not too wasteful if a failure, but not currently available. Alternative is bamboo fibre and amazon have it in kg bags. Dr Almond bread has apple fibre and of all the bread/baked good I have tried that is the only one to my taste. Has anyone baked using either the bamboo fibre or potato fibre please? I am casting around for ways to stop feeling hungry without what seem to be the side effects of more healthy fat. Nuts are largely out - no allergy just don't like them. Meat and cheese suit my tastes but they appear to give regular periods of seized up ankles and knees if I eat to satiety.

Last edited:

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@ziggy_w 's cauliflower mash with potato fiber - not flour - set me researching. Seems the addition of fibre has the potential to make LC baked goods palatable. Tracked some down in UK in 300 gms ,so not too wasteful if a failure, but not currently available. Alternative is bamboo fibre and amazon have it in kg bags. Dr Almond bread has apple fibre and of all the bread/baked good I have tried that is the only one to my taste. Has anyone baked using either the bamboo fibre or potato fibre please? I am casting around for ways to stop feeling hungry without what seem to be the side effects of more healthy fat. Nuts are largely out - no allergy just don't like them. Meat and cheese suit my tastes but they appear to give regular periods of seized up ankles and knees if I eat to satiety.
I have the Dr Almond bamboo fibre but I've used it for dusting the bread. I did put some on the seeded loaf before baking but cant say it tastes of anything.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@DCUKMod I am Lady Simple Kitchen, and would find it very difficult to justify two sizes of the same (possibly faddish) accessory. I get all puffed up with pride when I tour a battle cruiser and see in the kitchen WWII-era pots and pans Just Like Mine
For me the whole point of the IP is less cleanup. I haven’t actually put a serious deglazing to the test yet. I read on some recipe site that the pressure may not come up properly if there is food stuck on the bottom of the pot. But I browned my maiden voyage chicken very thoroughly and just scraped some to loosen the yummy stuff up.
@jjraak I think you ought to let your avocados ripen a few more days. A nice ripe avocado is rich and almost bacon-y. I agree that underripe ones are pretty blah! And wow yes - all the hot chefs on here toss around terms like sous-vide and I am scratching my head. It’s all giving me quite a different view of British cuisine, which has a historically turrible reputation here on this side of the pond.
@maglil55 take a look at Zappos online for shoe porn!!! I love them!!
@Chook you have similar symptoms to me yesterday in my little 7-hr daytime fast. I got really cold after my walk and supper, and my muscles felt weak later in the afternoon.
@ianpspurs I am wondering about those fibers too! I’ll just tag along on your journey if that’s ok I promise not to eat nuts in the same room....
Today is Take Mom To The Library Day. Can I do that fasting? I’m afraid that trying to concentrate on her will require body systems working as I expect them too, not distracting me. I can get frantic if I’m hungry and have “a situation” develop. She picks right up on any emotion, no matter how well masked, and becomes unhappy and/or agitated. Feedback loop we don’t want to get into!

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
They have the fat trappers now (yes I have one) which is a lidded plastic box with a thing in it that looks a bit cardboard like but it absorbs the fat really well. Not well enough to cope with the contents of a deep fat fryer though. At least this saves me digging around to find a vessel to put the oil in to dispose of it at recycling.
I love Lakeland. How a store manages to make things like cleaning, baking and storage implements interesting I don't know but I love a peaceful wander around and usually end up buying more than I went in for!
Hubby thought it was bad enough when there was just Dobbies there - then they added Lakeland and then Hotter (all my shoes are Hotter ). 3 favourites in one place = Hubby nightmares!

I don’t know Dobbies but definitely agree with the other 2.
Is Dobbies a Scottish store? We are coming up in June for a holiday, stopping at Glasgow 1 night so could have a little detour....