Building Muscle.

simply_h

Hello All,

Hope you are all well.

I have been thinking I have lost some weight, changed my diet and was thinking about starting body building, don’t want to get too big, but want to get bigger and stronger and do some cardio as well.

Now I know cardio exercise is good for all diabetics.

BUT can diabetics actually build muscle like a non-diabetic?

Now with being type 2 is it possible to build muscle and get stronger?

Any advice would be good as I start on Monday, wish me luck. X

Cheers
Simply_h

Dougie22

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Sorry I'm no expert.

From what I've read in the forum and elsewhere, exercise seems to affect BG differently in different people. In some cases it seems to temporarily increase rather than reduce BG levels.
As always, you probably need to use a meter to find out what happens to you.

Most "experts" seem to agree that in the longer term, exercise is beneficial.

In my case, I have upped my gym visits to three a week and increased my regime. I'm 57.
On Mon, Wed and Fri, I now do about 35 mins on the treadmill, walking for 3 minutes and jogging for 2 minutes and repeating. On Wed, I also do some weights, 5 machines, 9 sets each on varied but low weights. It's taken me a long time (years) to build up to this level.

I'm losing weight, my BP is down and I feel better for it.

Whatever you decide to do, take advice and don't jump in at the deep end. If you're using a gym, get some free advice from the instructors and build up slowly.

Snodger

simply_h said:
BUT can diabetics actually build muscle like a non-diabetic?

Now with being type 2 is it possible to build muscle and get stronger?
Simple answer is - yes.
Not only that, we can win Olympic medals. (Steve Redgrave for example)

Dougie22 is right that everyone's response to exercise is slightly different (and it will change as you get fitter, too). But it's possible to get extremely fit and strong and muscley - if that's what you want!

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
Hi H :)

Without knowledge of you and your condition it would be unwise and impossible to attempt to give advice.
I would say that, as with all things, you do your research, ensure that you are medically checked out for doing what you propose and then if you have the green light you start gently and preferably under professional supervision in a gym where they will gradually increase your workload. If you rush at anything the likelihood of crashing and burning increases at the same speed!

With diabetes in the equation you need to test frequently so that you know what is happening with your body. There are one or two body-builders lurking on here so hopefully they may be along soon to give you the benefit of their experience.

simply_h

Hello Synonym,

A little more info about my type 2 ect.

Well I was told I was type 2 in Feb 2011 (a bad day alround).

I had a HbA1C at the time and it was 6.6.

Was told to take Satins, Ramipril & Metformin - BUT I have taken the choice NOT to, as I want to try and see how I get on without them.

Thank you.
Cheers
Simply_h

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm T2 and find it hard to build muscle.

How is it going with you? Have you managed to build any muscle since starting? I'd be interested to know what success you've had...

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
simply_h said:
Hello All,

Hope we are well.

Any more views on building muscel for diabetics. :)

Cheers
Simply_h

Try joining a gym and get a one-to-one with a personal trainer who may advise you on the best approach, just make them aware of your diabetes and any other health issues.

Nigel