What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all
@DJC3 sorry to hear you couldn’t get enough blood - as you say it must be to do with clotting. I don’t clot easily and once caused panic at dentists after an extraction! So that must be why it’s ok for me I needed two plasters still after filling two tubes from one stab! However my veins don’t like the normal blood taking from arm they hide etc! Maybe you should get in touch with them and ask for normal collection tubes and get a private draw done it may be worth it for you? Know others who have done that with medichecks. @bulkbiker for example. Good news on fasting bloods though.
4.9 today busy day but also hoping to fit in some fence painting - it’s that time of year again!
Hope everyone has a good day.

PeterHud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Had a late meal last night and was higher than normal. I didn't panic as I know it comes back down and this morning it is back to 6.1

Out tonight for a few drinks so shall be packing all my essentials for the night.

Have a good day everyone

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all
@DJC3 sorry to hear you couldn’t get enough blood - as you say it must be to do with clotting. I don’t clot easily and once caused panic at dentists after an extraction! So that must be why it’s ok for me I needed two plasters still after filling two tubes from one stab! However my veins don’t like the normal blood taking from arm they hide etc! Maybe you should get in touch with them and ask for normal collection tubes and get a private draw done it may be worth it for you? Know others who have done that with medichecks. @bulkbiker for example. Good news on fasting bloods though.
4.9 today busy day but also hoping to fit in some fence painting - it’s that time of year again!
Hope everyone has a good day.

It’s a lovely day for fence painting here, hope you’ve a nice sunny day. I’m thinking it might be quite therapeutic too - a bit of mindfulness with a practical application.

I’ve emailed Thriva to ask for another set. I was stupid to try this morning as I was rushed having promised to do a French plait in daughter’s hair before work at 6am. I should have waited til afterwards. I also should have put my glasses on! I lost a couple of drops down the outside of the tube, what a doofus!

Reactions: OrsonKartt

geefull

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
good morning all :)

4.3 today

thankfully mr. gee is getting better by the look of it :)

bright but chilly weather here today and I'll be off shortly to walk to the village shop to pick up the weekly small loaf for mr. gee.

Hope your day treats you kindly :)

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
quite therapeutic too - a bit of mindfulness with a practical application.

I’ve emailed Thriva to ask for another set. I was stupid to try this morning as I was rushed having promised to do a French plait in daughter’s hair before work at 6am. I should have waited til afterwards. I also should have put my glasses on! I lost a couple of drops down the outside of the tube, what a doofus!

Hahaha...was going to link to another of your posts, but just love the last word here.
(altho i do spell it the french way Du-Fus....;):hilarious:...such a great little cuss for any idiotic behaviour )

Sympathy for the failed THRIVA test, but funny for the dark humour that you now know 'Clotting is NOT an issue..:D

Wish you well @DJC on the next go...very interested in these tests, not sure if my doctors are going to ok my next expected HBA1c, as last one was 42 [jan, exp april ] so nice to have alternatives for any blood testing.

Made me smile, @DJC3 ..Nice work
enjoy your day..:)

Providence 62

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not riding my bike
8.6 again this morning. Had an appointment with doc about back and he told me to gently try the exercises and to come back again next week.

We also had a chat about my crazy blood sugars (which are not as bad as they were). He was wondering if I was very sensitive to carbohydrates. Apparently it's a known syndrome in people whose ancestors had to deal with famines. I am from an Irish family, so they were affected by the potato famine.

Will post separately about this in DD, apparently people who are carb sensitive grab every single bit of carb they can. Fascinating.

P

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
5.3 on my libre which I now know how it actually works thanks to some very helpful forum members. Finger prick 5.9! More accurate and more disappointing.

Hi ho hi ho it's off to work I go.....still going to scan lots with my libre as it tells me just how high I go during the 2 hours after I eat and beyond although it's my usual Brooklea yoghurt with a sprinkle of keto muesli for breaky. Lunch with my son will be something different and should prove interesting.

Have a good day everyone.

Liking the use of the libre..(but pricey)
i think it's value for me wouldn't necessarily be the chance to skip finger pricking, nice though that would be,

it's the ease and convenience of the 24/7 monitoring, of any foods/stresses/exercises/ etc.....:bookworm:
must be so great to have such intimate knowledge of the impact your day to day things have on you minute by minute if required.

what a great learning tool....wish i had got the chance to have one for those first few months.
how fantastic would that have been educationally, to make new type two's MORE aware of the impact of what they are doing re FOOD, and probably more importantly easing those fears that MOST of the time, what you are doing IS helping..

One question..you mentioned the phone app..so could one getaway with JUST the strips, or does it require the READER to instigate some sort of starting process.

Cheers @Debandez .
Enjoy your lunch, be curious to see what impacts other foods have and for how long.

Last edited:

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
8.6 again this morning. Had an appointment with doc about back and he told me to gently try the exercises and to come back again next week.

We also had a chat about my crazy blood sugars (which are not as bad as they were). He was wondering if I was very sensitive to carbohydrates. Apparently it's a known syndrome in people whose ancestors had to deal with famines. I am from an Irish family, so they were affected by the potato famine.

Will post separately about this in DD, apparently people who are carb sensitive grab every single bit of carb they can. Fascinating.

P

Fascinating..Paddy lad here...most interesting .

and when i done my back, doctors said yoga would help, i think pilates was mentioned as well..
( which i think is when the missus went into her yoga phase, by way of helping me..i never did go )
gave me a sheet of exercises that i did and seemed to help some.
TIME did the rest i think...

but like @dunelm said, exercise and manage the pain, is the way forward.
we're like a big old meccano set....got to get those joints moving again even if only very gently, that way they don't give up and start seizing up.

i thought i'd never be as mobile as before after i simply slipped a disc ( :wideyed:...:woot:.............................:bigtears:.)
so all kudos to @dunelm for showing just what people CAN recover from...Bravo

good luck, & take it steady

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
It’s a lovely day for fence painting here, hope you’ve a nice sunny day. I’m thinking it might be quite therapeutic too - a bit of mindfulness with a practical application.

I actually think too it’s better to wait until a bit later in the morning. I did mine about 8 but got up got heating on, had cup of hot water, had shower, dried hair ( all warming hand tactics) and soaked hand in hot water. It’s also key to get testtube in container on a lowish surface so easier to get hand in right position! The more awake you are the better as long as you are happy to wait for your tea or coffee a bit later! Good luck next time x

Chronicle_Cat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
5.4 for me this morning.

P

I've often wondered about that myself. My heritage is mixed - on my Dad's side (Canadian) - Scots highlander and Irish. On my mom's side (American), Scots highlander, English, Pennsylvania Dutch (ethnic German outside the boundaries of modern day Germany, in my case specifically from Switzerland and Alsace) with some Native American. I'm highly reactive to carbs, even a very small amount of higher carb food sends my blood sugar sky high. Potatoes and any grains are the worst.

My doctor and I suspect I've been insulin resistant all of my life, (I know that this doesn't always accompany an inability to hande carbs but often goes with it.) I've struggled with weight since my teens (age 63 in a couple of weeks). When I was 14, my mom took me to the doctor because I ate less than my sister yet I gained weight and my sister did not. She was told I had a "slow metabolism". I was too young to put on "diet pills" (amphetamines - the treatment then!)., I certainly seem to have the "thrifty gene". Some members in both sides of my family have had similar struggles with weight whereas others have never had a worry.

Ironically I crave both carbs and sugar which my body can't handle. I don't eat either anymore of course.

Last edited:

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Same with my family, @Chronicle_Cat . My sister is like my father was, never overweight, while I take after Mama.

As to the syndrome in people whose ancestors had to deal with famines, I suspect that most of our ancestors probably had to deal with famine at some point in history. Much of Europe, at any rate, and think of the great famine in the Bible, when Jacob and his family fled from Israel to Egypt. So in just those two examples we've got Europe and the Middle East.

Off now to research the history of famines!

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
5.4 for me this morning.

I've often wondered about that myself. My heritage is mixed - on my Dad's side (Canadian) - Scots highlander and Irish. On my mom's side (American), Scots highlander, English, Pennsylvania Dutch (ethnic German outside the boundaries of modern day Germany, in my case specifically from Switzerland and Alsace) with some Native American. I'm highly reactive to carbs, even a very small amount of higher carb food sends my blood sugar sky high. Potatoes and any grains are the worst.

My doctor and I suspect I've been insulin resistant all of my life, (I know that this doesn't always accompany an inability to hande carbs but often goes with it.) I've struggled with weight since my teens (age 63 in a couple of weeks). When I was 14, my mom took me to the doctor because I ate less than my sister yet I gained weight and my sister did not. She was told I had a "slow metabolism". I was too young to put on "diet pills" (amphetamines - the treatment then!)., I certainly seem to have the "thrifty gene". Some members in both sides of my family have had similar struggles with weight whereas others have never had a worry.

Ironically I crave both carbs and sugar which my body can't handle. I don't eat either anymore of course.
Strange to tell according to my family history research my 6th great grandfather was born in New York and his wife in Massachusetts before there was a United States.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hahaha...was going to link to another of your posts, but just love the last word here.
(altho i do spell it the french way Du-Fus....;):hilarious:...such a great little cuss for any idiotic behaviour )

Sympathy for the failed THRIVA test, but funny for the dark humour that you now know 'Clotting is NOT an issue..:D

Wish you well @DJC on the next go...very interested in these tests, not sure if my doctors are going to ok my next expected HBA1c, as last one was 42 [jan, exp april ] so nice to have alternatives for any blood testing.

Made me smile, @DJC3 ..Nice work
enjoy your day..:)

I’ve been practising saying Du-Fus with a French accent now!

The Thriva test wasn’t so much about the HbA1c ( although that’ll be interesting) but they offer insulin resistance among other things, (which you can’t seem to get on NHS) and I think that’s key to understanding if I’m doing this whole thing properly. Shame I haven’t got a baseline level to compare.

I reckon you’ll have broken that 42 barrier by April, you seem to be doing really well.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I actually think too it’s better to wait until a bit later in the morning. I did mine about 8 but got up got heating on, had cup of hot water, had shower, dried hair ( all warming hand tactics) and soaked hand in hot water. It’s also key to get testtube in container on a lowish surface so easier to get hand in right position! The more awake you are the better as long as you are happy to wait for your tea or coffee a bit later! Good luck next time x

Thanks, I was thinking that I should probably have laid it all out on the lid of the loo as that would have been lower. Had a text today saying there’s another kit on the way so I shall do as you suggest then.