Libre sensor and airports

jillsymes66

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude ignorant people
Hi. Does anyone have experience of wearing their sensor through airport security please? Do I need a letter from my GP or just the Medical Device Awareness Card? Thanks

D

Deleted Account

I fly frequently with a pump and a Libre.
No one has ever commented on the Libre.
(Shame the same can't be said about the pump.)
So, I would say no need for a Libre letter or Medical Device Awareness card.

Muneeb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Does anyone have experience of wearing their sensor through airport security please? Do I need a letter from my GP or just the Medical Device Awareness Card? Thanks
I have a generic letter from the GP stating I need to carry diabetic medicine and equipment. Never had any issues and to be honest nobody has even asked to look at the letter.

Reactions: jillsymes66

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
What is a medical device awareness card??? Did I miss something? (again!)

buckmr2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Exercise
Last time I flew I took a GP letter AND a copy of my prescriptions which you get when you collect your prescription.
All prescriptions had the pharmacys sticky label on with my name and date issued.
I rang the airline before travelling and gave my details and told them I would be carrying meds including needles on the flights out and back.
At check in I advised staff I had needles etc and showed them the GP letter.
Went through the X Ray machine with Libre no problems.
I decided to get the GP letter and all meds with the labels on (had to reorder a few meds which I'd already removed the pharmacy labels) before going through to make sure there were no issues.
Might be overkill but it's minimal effort which could save potential issues,delays,expense and inconvenience.

Last edited:
Reactions: jillsymes66