Sugar levels are always 25-30 last few days

kkully88

@Guzzler during the day it's 12/13 still high tho. But night time it's 18 but since Saturday it shot up to 32 and last night 30 that's the first time ever. I've had type 2 diabetics since last July but since the last 2 weeks my nurse has gave me a monitor to check my sugar levels 4 times a day.

Reactions: Serena51

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You need to sort your blood glucose levels out first by getting some medical help ASAP diet advice can come later

Last edited:

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. With BS levels that high there is a possibility you are not T2 but T1. This is especially true if your BMI isn't high. When you see the GP bear this in mind and perhaps discuss your diagnosis with him/her. Metformin is a good safe drug but never helps that much with BS. Unless your diet is really bad you may well need some different medication.

jessica1612

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just to give an update to my situation. My blood sugar continued to be out of control and often just reading as 'HI'. On sunday after yet another hi reading I went in to A&E. They kept me in for 2 days and the doctors were appalled I had been like this for months and my GP wasn't doing anything. My blood sugar at the hospital was 38 mmol. Anyway I have had tests for type 1 and its positive. So at 58 years old I am officially type 1!! I am just relieved to find out a definite diagnosis, as I was trying to do LCHF and it wasn't working just felt a failure. I have started on insulin and feel loads better already. I have an appointment with the nurse at my surgery this afternoon - can't wait to see what she has to say, after she was so adamant and 100% positive I was type 2!! I am still going to eat low carb as I want to keep insulin use as low as I can. Just wanted to say if you are in a similar situation and getting nowhere with your GP, please go to A&E. I wished I had gone sooner. The doc just made me feel like I was wasting their time and NHS money.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@jessica1612 Well it's good you have a diagnosis now and will be getting appropriate treatment. There are lots of Type 1s on here if you need any advice. Good luck with your DN this afternoon!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank goodness you went to A&E otherwise things would have just continued to worsen.
And am delighted that you are feeling better.
Hopefully you will continue get better and better.

Thank you for the update!
And... how do you feel about a complaint to about your doc?
If you don't, he may not even recognise that it was his non-action that put you at such risk.

Reactions: Prem51

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just to give an update to my situation. My blood sugar continued to be out of control and often just reading as 'HI'. On sunday after yet another hi reading I went in to A&E. They kept me in for 2 days and the doctors were appalled I had been like this for months and my GP wasn't doing anything. My blood sugar at the hospital was 38 mmol. Anyway I have had tests for type 1 and its positive. So at 58 years old I am officially type 1!! I am just relieved to find out a definite diagnosis, as I was trying to do LCHF and it wasn't working just felt a failure. I have started on insulin and feel loads better already. I have an appointment with the nurse at my surgery this afternoon - can't wait to see what she has to say, after she was so adamant and 100% positive I was type 2!! I am still going to eat low carb as I want to keep insulin use as low as I can. Just wanted to say if you are in a similar situation and getting nowhere with your GP, please go to A&E. I wished I had gone sooner. The doc just made me feel like I was wasting their time and NHS money.

Well done Jessica, your story is a perfect example of misdiagnosis. That is how people can end up with DKA. x

jessica1612

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I wrote a letter of complaint before all this happened. I received an answer saying they had followed NICE guidelines and done everything they should have!! I am waiting till I have seen the consultant next week, to get the full facts-then I will decide on my next move!! Thank you for all your help over the past 3 three years. This site and its members are the best!

JMK1954

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Jessica, I have only come across your postings this morning and I am appalled. I am glad to hear you made a complaint, as the fact is that you could have ended up dead. I have generally found GPs and practice nurses think they know all about diabetes - but they very definitely don't. I have been type 1 for 54 years, diagnosed aged 10. My dad was a pharmacist so recognised the obvious symptoms I showed. Unfortunately, the belief that anyone who is not a child must be a type 2 is extremely widespread.
Good luck for the future. Don't let being type 1 scare you. You have a life to live, so find out all you can about to how to handle things and get on with living it. Best wishes for a wonderful life from me.

jessica1612

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Jessica, I have only come across your postings this morning and I am appalled. I am glad to hear you made a complaint, as the fact is that you could have ended up dead. I have generally found GPs and practice nurses think they know all about diabetes - but they very definitely don't. I have been type 1 for 54 years, diagnosed aged 10. My dad was a pharmacist so recognised the obvious symptoms I showed. Unfortunately, the belief that anyone who is not a child must be a type 2 is extremely widespread.
Good luck for the future. Don't let being type 1 scare you. You have a life to live, so find out all you can about to how to handle things and get on with living it. Best wishes for a wonderful life from me.
Thank you so much x

enzina

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pain, being dependent, egoistic people & jealousy
Well done Jessica, great you're feeling better already!
I was misdiagnosed for a few years as well, did go to A&E once when my sugar levels went up to 30. Unfortunately they only told me to go back to my GP next morning and the suffering continued for a few more years..

gemma_T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi all, I'm new to this I hope you can help me? I'm type 2 diabetic. I've had so much gone on with my health last 7 months. Found out last year I'm diabetic. Last few weeks my doctor's told me to monitor my sugar levels but yesterday at night it was 32.2 and tonight 30.2 obviously it's gone down to 23 now but it's always on a night. And I'm doing good with eating so why is it so high at night? I feel so thirsty I'm drinking water as that's what I drink now. I'm on 3 Metformin a day instead of one but I still don't understand.

Please go to casualty and get yourself checked out. You could be type one as many others have mentioned. You have dangerously high bg levels and although I don’t want to frighten you you could fall into diabetic coma.
Please go to A&E and let us know how you get on.
Big hug xxx

Reactions: Serena51 and Prem51

SB.25

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Glad you finally have a diagnosis and now can work towards feeling better and managing the condition. I had a similar situation when my journey started.

I had been feeling dizzy for 3 weeks and 3 different doctors told me it was stress at work.... in the end I went to a and e and got my Hba1c back at 103.....

My GP apologise for not testing my blood sugar before, but he said ‘I didn’t look like I would be diabetic’ (I assume he meant because I was young and slim and not already diagnosed as T1)

Reactions: Serena51 and Prem51

jessica1612

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well done Jessica, great you're feeling better already!
I was misdiagnosed for a few years as well, did go to A&E once when my sugar levels went up to 30. Unfortunately they only told me to go back to my GP next morning and the suffering continued for a few more years..
That's what I was expecting to be honest, but I just didn't know what else to do. As it turned out they were amazing, was the best thing I ever did!! its so wrong when they leave you suffering, I hope you are well now.

jessica1612

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Glad you finally have a diagnosis and now can work towards feeling better and managing the condition. I had a similar situation when my journey started.

I had been feeling dizzy for 3 weeks and 3 different doctors told me it was stress at work.... in the end I went to a and e and got my Hba1c back at 103.....

My GP apologise for not testing my blood sugar before, but he said ‘I didn’t look like I would be diabetic’ (I assume he meant because I was young and slim and not already diagnosed as T1)
OMG These GP's need more training!

Keith_Simpson

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi all, I'm new to this I hope you can help me? I'm type 2 diabetic. I've had so much gone on with my health last 7 months. Found out last year I'm diabetic. Last few weeks my doctor's told me to monitor my sugar levels but yesterday at night it was 32.2 and tonight 30.2 obviously it's gone down to 23 now but it's always on a night. And I'm doing good with eating so why is it so high at night? I feel so thirsty I'm drinking water as that's what I drink now. I'm on 3 Metformin a day instead of one but I still don't understand.
I would ask for an urgent appointment with your GP & ask to be prescribed insulin because your numbers are unsustainably high, suggesting more severe type 2 that diet or medication may not be sufficient. The good news is that with insulin, you get test strip prescribed & you can stop taking Metformin. When I took Metformin it caused me to have Raynaud's syndrmome, extremly cols hands & feet. I now take insulin & no longer have Raynaud's syndrome.