Type 1: What are your HbA1c test results?

Peterinkiel

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Re: What are your H test results?

Hi Darren. By H results, I assume you mean HbA1c? This is one of the key tests and looks at your average blood sugars over 3 months (sort of anyway!) Without wanting to sound picky, this test is measured as a %, NOT in mmol so I wonder if you're getting mixed up? The mmol tests are the one-off blood sugar tests we can do on our meters. It's worth clarifying your results so you can compare properly with other tests in the future and see how you're getting on. My Hba!c was 8.2 when I was diagnosed, but fortuinately down to 5.9 when I was tested 4 months later.
Good luck!

Sorry to hear about all this measurement confusion. Whichever “method” you use, the result is always a percentage,mmol/mol or classic percentage as in 7.1%, but please, please, tell your readers which measurement you are using.

Doctors in Germany always use the percentage reading and always add the % sign, which is logical and clear. Why do Brits always have to be different and awkward?

James_Donnelly

Got my next appointment on Wednesday to get my blood measured.

I'm going to guess what I'll be and see how close I am. Hopefully I don't underestimate it...

I'll go, 42.

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members
4.8 % , Doctor complaining it's too low and must of had mutliple hypo's! Fortunatley I have a libre and proved him wrong!

Colin of Kent

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My latest is 46 mmol/mol or 6.4% on January 15, 2019

It's been about the same for over a year now, and try as I might, I can't get it closer to or under 6%.
October 2017: 6.5%
April 2018: 6.5%
August 2018: 6.5%
I've heard that HbA1c varies between individuals anyway, but nobody really knows to what extent, because that would involve testing large numbers of non-diabetics. So I wouldn't worry too much. My results are always higher than predicted by xDrip or mySugr.

Reactions: michelle88

Shellback

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
34 or 5.3% I'm tempted to shoot for the 4% range but will be fairly happy if I can maintain this level and loosen up my diet a little bit.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
41 after 52 years on insulin. Does that mean I am getting younger ??
Maybe the better question is 'What is your HBA1C and how many hypos in a week or a month'??

Mathewted

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What are your H test results?

Mine is 7.1mmol

Last HbA1c was 67mml/mol (8.3%)
That was my best ever but now my glucose meter is estimating a value of 45mmol/mol (6.3%) which is fab-u-luss if the meter is actually correct

jacko1970s

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Theses are mine to date
So to date all results with update for latest
Hi so had my 3rd hba1c
March 15th diagnosed hba1c of 95 weight 102.8 16st 2
HBA1C 95
Cholesterol
Total 7.5
HDL 1.0
Non HDL 6.5
Trigs 7.5 no ldl due to this reading

June 18th 87kg 13st 7
Hba1c 44
Cholesterol
Total 7.7
Ldl 5.7
HDL 1.3
Trigs 1.5
Stopped taking statins and metformin

August’s 18th 3stone weight loss to here now 82kg 12st 8
Hba1c 33
Cholesterol fasting
Total 8.2
Ldl 5.9
HDL 1.8
Trigs 1.1

December 5th 2018
Steady weight 83kg 12st 10
Hba1c 31
Cholesterol fasting
Total 6.8
LDL. 4.3
Hdl. 2.0
Trigs. 1.0

Feb 22nd 2019
Steady weight 83kg 12st 10
Hba1c. 31
Fasting cholesterol
Total. 8.1
LDL. 5.5
Hdl. 1.8
Trigs. 1.8

Cholesterol level worse than last time so will lose little more weight and more exercise to see if I can get it back on track

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
40/5.8% up from 37/5.5% last time. I was expecting higher, tbh, as in the last three months I’ve started working very erratic hours and things have been a bit higher than I like.

I suspect the meter on my pump is set to under-read (for “safety” etc - grrrr), however. I calibrate my CGM to it every morning and check it’s accuracy before bed, and the software for that was predicting 34... I have the ability to use a different code on it, which is reported to be closer to the truth according to other users (ie their HbA1c matches what is predicted using its results), but as I’m currently trying to get my class 2 driving licence, I can’t deviate from the official settings.

It’s still a non-diabetic level though, so I’ll take that.

JAT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
4.2% (22 according to an online converter). My endo was ok with that. All the other tests she ran gave good results she said. I'm lucky to have good hypo awareness. I've gone back to work and it gets hectic but so far I know when I'm heading low and consume something to avoid getting any lower. I check my blood sugar before bed and have a snack and so far so good.

Reactions: michita

enzina

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pain, being dependent, egoistic people & jealousy
40/5.8% up from 37/5.5% last time. I was expecting higher, tbh, as in the last three months I’ve started working very erratic hours and things have been a bit higher than I like.

I suspect the meter on my pump is set to under-read (for “safety” etc - grrrr), however. I calibrate my CGM to it every morning and check it’s accuracy before bed, and the software for that was predicting 34... I have the ability to use a different code on it, which is reported to be closer to the truth according to other users (ie their HbA1c matches what is predicted using its results), but as I’m currently trying to get my class 2 driving licence, I can’t deviate from the official settings.

It’s still a non-diabetic level though, so I’ll take that.
Still SUPER, Mel!

tomcamish

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My most recent HBA1c was November 2018 and was 89 mmol/mol.

When I was diagnosed in 2015 it was 142 mmol/mol. Didn't even show on the doctor's chart it was so high.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Today my HBA1C was 47....best it's been in a long time

Craig1978

My latest results from this month have me at 73. Not great, but not terrible either, so some work to do. My work/lifestyle varies quite a lot, so I try to look after myself as best as I can, so it reflects in this reading I feel.