Levels

mick196572

Hi

I have been in nova rapid and lantus. Have been on around 2 weeks. Just wondered, does it take a while to get the levels down at the start? Cant seem to get mine stable
Screenshot_20190219-100802_OneTouch.jpg

Muneeb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I would expect to see better levels than that after 2 weeks tbh. It looks to me like your dosing is not correct. In theory within a few days you should see much better levels if the dosing is correct.

I think you need to start with a basal test, do a fasted test and see if your levels are stable, this will tell you if the basal is correct.
Once you have that nailed you need to ensure you are blousing correctly with novo, as even if your level was 20 before, if you inject the right amount of novo it should be within range within 5 hours. Now its very hard to say from your readings wheteher your carb counting is inaccurate or your basal is too low.

* Edited by a moderator to remove advice in regards to insulin doses

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted Account

I think @mick196572 you mentioned you are having regular conversations with your diabetes nurse.
I would recommend discussing your results and concerns with her before making any changes.
There may be some very good reasons why she is slowly bringing your BG down.

My 100% recommendation is to take NO action based on advice from a helpful person on a forum who does not know you and your circumstances but to use the experience of people on the forum to structure questions and concerns to bring up with your nurse.

As you have just been diagnosed and in the honeymoon phase, I see little point in basal tests as your own insulin output may be unpredictable.

To be honest, I don't remember how long it took to get my levels down but I don't think I started as high so my experience is probably not relevant.

Reactions: becca59

mick196572

I think @mick196572 you mentioned you are having regular conversations with your diabetes nurse.
I would recommend discussing your results and concerns with her before making any changes.
There may be some very good reasons why she is slowly bringing your BG down.

My 100% recommendation is to take NO action based on advice from a helpful person on a forum who does not know you and your circumstances but to use the experience of people on the forum to structure questions and concerns to bring up with your nurse.

As you have just been diagnosed and in the honeymoon phase, I see little point in basal tests as your own insulin output may be unpredictable.

To be honest, I don't remember how long it took to get my levels down but I don't think I started as high so my experience is probably not relevant.
Thank you i see the nurse on Friday. Thats good advice. Just a little impatient .

She did say they will do it slowly

Reactions: Kim Possible

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Mick, I think you are a newly diagnosed type 1 and if you are anything like me when I was first diagnosed, you won't understand much about basal testing and ratios etc. I agree with Helen, you must run all of this through your diabetes nurse. Do not be afraid to call her daily if you need to or even twice a day, that is what she is there for in the early weeks at least. To advise you about doses, to listen to the effect of those doses, to explain how to test and do adjustments gradually. She should know the rest of your medical history as well, none of us do. x

Reactions: becca59

emmay

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi @mick196572
As the others have said best to take things slow, you don’t want to change things too fast and unfortunately you really need to concentrate on your background first then you can start thinking about your fast acting insulin. Even though your seeing your nurse regularly she may be drip feeding you information as there is so much to take on board all in one go, so trust what she is doing and am sure you will start seeing results. Hope it goes well at your nurse visit on Friday.

Reactions: mick196572

mick196572

Hi @mick196572
As the others have said best to take things slow, you don’t want to change things too fast and unfortunately you really need to concentrate on your background first then you can start thinking about your fast acting insulin. Even though your seeing your nurse regularly she may be drip feeding you information as there is so much to take on board all in one go, so trust what she is doing and am sure you will start seeing results. Hope it goes well at your nurse visit on Friday.
Thank you

Draco16

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi @mick196572

There is logic in bringing levels down slowly, but on the other hand these are very high, and consistently very high.

It’s early days so you likely haven’t been told about ketones or how to test for them, but at these levels you really should be ASAP. They can be extremely dangerous. You should speak to your dsn asap, certainly before Friday.

Do you have any symptoms of
  • Stomach pains
  • Nausea and/or vomiting
  • Breathlessness
  • Breath that smells fruity
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-and-ketones.html

mick196572

Hi @mick196572

There is logic in bringing levels down slowly, but on the other hand these are very high, and consistently very high.

It’s early days so you likely haven’t been told about ketones or how to test for them, but at these levels you really should be ASAP. They can be extremely dangerous. You should speak to your dsn asap, certainly before Friday.

Do you have any symptoms of
  • Stomach pains
  • Nausea and/or vomiting
  • Breathlessness
  • Breath that smells fruity
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-and-ketones.html
I have the ketones test . Those were my symptoms when diagnosed. Seeing my nurse on Friday