Type 1'stars R Us

Shellback

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@porl69 I've made that mistake before! Helping myself from a communal bowl of pasta and sauce and then weighing it.

It was my wife's birthday yesterday so I relaxed the diet and we had champagne, King Prawns, Chips and garlic mayonnaise it was awesome. Unfortunately I woke up at 0300 AM with a BG of 12.4 but 3 units of novo rapid and I was in the fives when I woke.

I'm trying to reintroduce more carbs into my diet whilst still controlling the after meal blood sugar spikes. What do most of you like to keep the post prandial peak below most of the time?

I've read that having 2 tablespoons of vinegar before a meal can help to reduce the spike. Has anybody tried this? I've dutifully bought a bottle of white wine vinegar into work today with my pack lunch so I'm going to see how palatable this is. Hope I'm not sick in front of my colleagues!

They already think I'm an eccentric for my normal 20 minute walk up and down the stairs after lunch.

Have a good day everybody.

K

Knikki

@Knikki Thanks, yep it's the long acting one. I know I'm a relative junior but I thought that after a year and a half I'd know how to adjust.

No worries :)

I would not worry to much about how long you have been one of the wonderful T1's we all still learn and sometimes we c0ck it up :)

Even now adjusting Basel is just another experiment for me as I have now started to drop my long acting, however it might take a couple of weeks to sort it :)

Shellback

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well @Shellback here is a link that may or may not be informal to you http://constancebrownriggs.com/vinegar-diabetes-can-it-reduce-blood-glucose-levels/

Not sure I would go along with it but if it works for you then fair enough.
Thanks informative. Seems to corroborate what I had been reading.

Nearly lunchtime so about to conduct my own experiment I'll report back.

Current reading 4.9 intended lunch 50 grams pasta (uncooked weight) Baby Spinach leaves and mackerel in a tomato sauce. Possibly a square or 2 of high cocoa chocolate depending on how things go.

Shellback

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well I can personally vouch that drinking a glass of water with 2 tablespoons of vinegar in it is difficult to keep down. I'm definitely not doing that again.

Now to watch the post prandial rise. If the vinegar seems effective I'll try it in the form of a salad dressing tomorrow.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
What do most of you like to keep the post prandial peak below most of the time?

Pre-bolusing can make an extraordinary difference. Timing varies between people and for different carb types, but generally speaking, about 20 to 30 minutes beforehand works for me, giving the insulin time to get to work before hitting it with food.

Shellback

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Pre-bolusing can make an extraordinary difference. Timing varies between people and for different carb types, but generally speaking, about 20 to 30 minutes beforehand works for me, giving the insulin time to get to work before hitting it with food.
Yeah totally agree. Can be hard when eating out though.

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good morning all
Well an absolute nightmare BG wise last night. I cooked bolognese (spelling!) and pasta shells before the misses came home from work. Went into the shower and she weighed it all out for me and told me that there was 170g of carbs....didn't question it at all UNTIL about an hour and a half later. Hypo awareness is coming back (hate the hypo feeling) alarms going off with a 3.8 and double arrow down! Sorted that out with a few (ok lots) of jelly babies and started to feel ok and asked how she had worked the carbs out.....turns out she had mixed everything together and weighed it....DOH!!! Over treated the hypo and went up to 16 for bed, insulin resistance then kicked so stayed up until 2am to try to get me down to a reasonable level! Eventually went to bed on a 12 as was too tired to do anymore. Woke this morning to a 10, which I was happy about. Correction with my breakfast and now on a 6.1. Back to normal. Moral of the storey.....weigh your own food out lol
what do you think of your pump porl69 ive got pump clinic on tuesday but still feel undecided x

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
what do you think of your pump porl69 ive got pump clinic on tuesday but still feel undecided x

Go for it. I was exactly the same as you for ages....never wanted a pump, zero interest. 12 days in I am in love lol. It is hard work setting the basal patterns up but worth it. daytime is pretty stable and am messing with my night time basals....obviously last nights one went out the window.....pour carb counting is dangerous :)
Not done a jab since Feb 7th......first time in 48 years and not being in hospital on a sliding scale. Can honestly say I am NOT missing my pens :)

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Go for it. I was exactly the same as you for ages....never wanted a pump, zero interest. 12 days in I am in love lol. It is hard work setting the basal patterns up but worth it. daytime is pretty stable and am messing with my night time basals....obviously last nights one went out the window.....pour carb counting is dangerous :)
Not done a jab since Feb 7th......first time in 48 years and not being in hospital on a sliding scale. Can honestly say I am NOT missing my pens :)
Thanks porl69 x

Reactions: hh1

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi @karen8967 , we could be pump buddies. I have my fitting for my pump next Wednesday and like you i am a little uncertain. i think it looks like a lot of work but hey ho I will give anything a try that may help give me better control

Like all things new, it will be daunting, no doubt we wil c0ck it up numerous times, but there are numerous folks on here who have pumps and are very knowledable, we will get there along with @porl69

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @karen8967 , we could be pump buddies. I have my fitting for my pump next Wednesday and like you i am a little uncertain. i think it looks like a lot of work but hey ho I will give anything a try that may help give me better control

Like all things new, it will be daunting, no doubt we wil c0ck it up numerous times, but there are numerous folks on here who have pumps and are very knowledable, we will get there along with @porl69
Mines just an appointment smc4761 i sort of bottled it last time consultant said my control was good but if i wanted the pump i could of had it thats why he didnt sign me off told me to come bk in 6/9months i think the pump would be good for me due to my insulin sensitivity i have a half unit pen for both basal/bolus but feel sometimes half a unit is too much and with a pump you can do smaller doses hope all goes well for you what pump are you getting x

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Mines just an appointment smc4761 i sort of bottled it last time consultant said my control was good but if i wanted the pump i could of had it thats why he didnt sign me off told me to come bk in 6/9months i think the pump would be good for me due to my insulin sensitivity i have a half unit pen for both basal/bolus but feel sometimes half a unit is too much and with a pump you can do smaller doses hope all goes well for you what pump are you getting x

Hi @karen8967 , my hospital only deals with Medtronic now so almost certainly the Medtronic Minimed 640g. Dont think the upgrade one is yet available the 670.

Had a look at a few Youtube videos for this one and most folks seem to like it. The advantages outweigh the disadvantages

My biggest concern is for bedtime. I am a very restless sleeper and bounce about all over the bed at night. Worried a little in case it falls off the bed or tube becomes disconnected.

I also take fairly high levels of insulin, ration of 1:4 for brekkie and 1:5 other meals. My Levemir is also fairly high 18 in morning 26 at night, so will be interesting to see if my dose increases/decreases