What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@ianpspurs that’s a salad I could chow down on! I fix a big one If I Have the time to eat all the rawness. There’s a T1 blogger who says that your salad bowl should be as big as your head. You definitely have mastered that.
Thanks @Emma_369 you have been paying way closer attention than I have for sure, to know this has happened to others. I guess I just keep on keeping on and ask for a retest in 3 months. Currently driving around collecting more meters just to see how badly mine misled me.
@Rachox oh how awful to be stuck inside. How’s your “ouchie” doing?
@BibaBee what you feel as caregiver is absolutely normal! I felt that way, completely burned out, very frequently when my kids were younger. Sending you a lawn chair, a huge bunch of balloons, and a slingshot for if you get too high! Thanks for hugs :)
@Goonergal thanks, and I’m sorry you’re in the same boat. I have been burning through test strips like they grow on trees, which was why I was so hopeful of the results. I had so many data points each day that I thought I had it all covered. Sigh. Maybe if I’d tested every hour during the night I would have seen numbers in the mid&high 100’s (US). Only way to reckon the lab result with the numbers I have recorded. Good luck on the weigh in!
Oh dear @Chook .... sorrrreeeee...
So, no fun getting disappointing news when you are very hungry, but only 1 1/2 hrs until supper, and I want to thank everybody here for your support! Big hugs all around.

Reactions: DJC3 and ianpspurs

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Just venting here. Evidently my WOE has barely budged my HbA1c. From my 6.5 to my 6.4. Evidently my meter has consistently read up to 20% lower than actual, throwing off all math calculations drawn from its numbers.. Or, lab is not trustworthy.
Same blood draw gave 6.4 and BG 104. My own BG meter 3 minutes before that had read 123 (higher than I’d expected. Do cold fingers affect the blood running in their capillaries?). “Moving in the right direction” they say. “Have you changed your diet?” they say. “The blood doesn’t lie” they say. Of course it doesn’t! I don’t dispute my blood, I have reason to dispute what the lab did with it.
Time for a new meter or three. I am, shall we say, distressed. Ticked off in stronger terms.
Thanks all for listening.
Thinking of you - hbaca1 discrepancy seems to be a common problem for some. If you are moving downwards generally though on your bg meter consistently that’s what I’d believe. Don’t allow your results to derail you often with unexpected results it can cause you to feel why do I bother I’m sure it’s working for you if your meter is showing a steady fall be kind to yourself

Last edited:

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi folks. I didn't post last night just because I was feeling a bit 'meh' about stuff. I just been feeling a bit it low and uninspired. I realise I'm not the one with diabetes, but is it possible to get "burn out" as a supportive partner? I think that might be what I have....I'm just a bit tired and fed up of everything. Whilst I mostly love how our lives have changed (far healthier, more energy, appreciating nature more, nice new clothes...), there are certain things that I really miss. I think it's particularly the case when I'm tired and stressed.:(

Anyway, onwards and upwards. I'm not normally one for navel gazing! To psych myself up for fasting soon, I skipped lunch today. It was actually very surprising. Before LC days, I'd dabbled with 5:2. I could only ever manage it if I missed breakfast and effectively was OMAD on those days. This morning I had chia pudding for breakfast, but wasn't hungry at all during the day. Truth be told, I think I could have just skipped dinner, as I wasn't ravenous. This would never have happened in my old 5:2 days. Anyway, the plan tomorrow is to skip breakfast and lunch. We'll see if I decide to go the full 24 hours tomorrow. Let's hope this kickstarts the weight loss again!

Breakfast: Orange blossom chia pudding. Coffee with cream.
Lunch: Nothing for me, just black coffee. Mr B had mozzarella, prosciutto, salad leaves, seeds, pesto.
Dinner: Spicy Chicken marinaded with Garam Masala, lemon juice, garlic, ginger, Greek yoghurt. Avocado, cherry tomatoes, cucumber and a tiny amount of onion. Spicy swede 'chips'. Yoghurt and lime pickle dip. SF Jelly and 1 tbsp of cream. One square of 85% chocolate. Decaf cappuccino with almond milk and cream.
Good luck with your planned fast. Trick is to have plenty of hot drinks it’s comforting. You’re doing amazing all of us have changed our woe because of concerns for our own health you’ve made these huge changes to join and support your OH who needed to improve his health not many people out there would do that. You deserve big hugs, well dones youare a superstar getting so involved in embracing this WOE and making it interesting for your OH.

BibaBee

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good luck with your planned fast. Trick is to have plenty of hot drinks it’s comforting. You’re doing amazing all of us have changed our woe because of concerns for our own health you’ve made these huge changes to join and support your OH who needed to improve his health not many people out there would do that. You deserve big hugs, well dones youare a superstar getting so involved in embracing this WOE and making it interesting for your OH.
Thank you @shelley262 I have to remind myself that I have reaped the benefits of this WOE. There is no way I would be as slim as I am now without it. I think we all just get a bit fatigued from time to time. If I see some movement on the scales, it will spur me on!

D

Deleted member 308541

Lunch yesterday: Not much as we did not feel like anything.
Dinner: Fish (Nile Perch) and salad.
Breakfast today: Cheese omelette, bacon.

Good job the groceries and meat get delivered today.
Dwe01us.gif

BibaBee

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@ianpspurs that’s a salad I could chow down on! I fix a big one If I Have the time to eat all the rawness. There’s a T1 blogger who says that your salad bowl should be as big as your head. You definitely have mastered that.
Thanks @Emma_369 you have been paying way closer attention than I have for sure, to know this has happened to others. I guess I just keep on keeping on and ask for a retest in 3 months. Currently driving around collecting more meters just to see how badly mine misled me.
@Rachox oh how awful to be stuck inside. How’s your “ouchie” doing?
@BibaBee what you feel as caregiver is absolutely normal! I felt that way, completely burned out, very frequently when my kids were younger. Sending you a lawn chair, a huge bunch of balloons, and a slingshot for if you get too high! Thanks for hugs :)
@Goonergal thanks, and I’m sorry you’re in the same boat. I have been burning through test strips like they grow on trees, which was why I was so hopeful of the results. I had so many data points each day that I thought I had it all covered. Sigh. Maybe if I’d tested every hour during the night I would have seen numbers in the mid&high 100’s (US). Only way to reckon the lab result with the numbers I have recorded. Good luck on the weigh in!
Oh dear @Chook .... sorrrreeeee...
So, no fun getting disappointing news when you are very hungry, but only 1 1/2 hrs until supper, and I want to thank everybody here for your support! Big hugs all around.
Thank you @zauberflote! What a lovely image

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Still on some heavy duty painkillers @zauberflote , but I’ll live. I had my first night sleeping right through without waking for painkillers at silly o’clock so there’s progress :)

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
Winner @Rachox !!!! Definitely progress.

Reactions: jjraak

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
21/02
7.30am XBX level 16
8.03 BG 6.0 hmm bit high for me in the morning, maybe snack last night? or exercise?
Wanting to try new cereal, decided to wait, test again 30 mins.
8.30 BG 5.9 Multigrain low sugar nutty muesli from Asda. only 20 g
Mixed with 20g no grain granola and 30ml milk.
10.31 BG 5.4 Thats looking good, maybe slightly larger portion tomorrow?
Tea
11am snack 30g pecans
13.30 lunch: salad, drizzled with rapeseed oil,(out of olive) ham, coleslaw, water, tea
3pm-5pm tea, tea, tea
19.30 Dinner: beef casserole, charlotte potatoes, kale. Water, Salted caramel florentine.
22.15 Snack: cracker and pate, tea

Hugely busy day, still feeling rubbish. Hope Mum doesn't catch it.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@SlimLizzy - I live in a place called Musselburgh about 8 miles outside Edinburgh. Better known now since the TV correctly started calling it Musselburgh Races rather than Edinburgh Races. When the boys were at nursery they often saw the horses as the Racecourse is right beside their nursery. My adorable shops are about 7 miles the other way but happily all together when I get there.
@Rachox you certainly seem to be getting back to normal as far as food is concerned. Are they organising any physio for you?
@DJC3 - loved the Jersey Boys. Theatre was sold out but I didn't have any giants in front of me for once. It's one of these things like Mama Mia I'd happily go to see again. Picked up the tickets for Matilda too but theres another couple I fancy before that.
Anyway, a bit of normality again - bed 5.2 FBG 5.9.
B. Tassimo Americano grande with a dash of cream. Slice of Ox Tongue and one of these Tesco Cream cheese bites.
L. Thin slice of Dr Almond seeded bread and yet another slice of Dr Almond seeded bread with Lurpack.
D. Out for the theatre- 3 vodkas and diet coke. Sunshine on Leith
Burger - no bun and no chips. Burger topped with haggis, cheddar cheese and a fried egg with coleslaw. With my removals they are very good at replacing them with an excellent salad. Americano and they got me a pot of cream from the kitchen.
Intermission I had a mini bottle of white wine because shock, horror - they've stopped selling little tubs of Oppo ice cream. I'm going to complain. BGs were very well behaved though.
Today - Thursday - very busy day. Early start at school with the boys. Back to pack a bag then off to Aqua. Then I had to go straight to the eye pavilion for my regular check.
Bed 4.7 FBG 5.3.
B. Tassimo Americano grande with a dash of cream. Slice of Dr Almond toasted with Lurpack and ox tongue.
L. Nothing - aqua then eye pavilion.
D. Boys wanted macaroni cheese- no good for me. Didn't know what I wanted but I remembered someone on here stirring a childhood memory for me. So I had 2 boiled eggs mashed with a little butter and 2 thin slices of Dr Almond bread toasted. Very enjoyable. Scoop of halo top with raspberries (to make up for the lack of Oppo yesterday).

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@maglil55 , not sure about physio, I have a consultant follow up on 2nd March, I guess I’ll find out then. Food wise I froze loads of LC meals pre op so quick to zap in the microwave for Mr Rachox. I can manage the few minutes standing at the cooker to make my coconut porridge but am drawing the line at mixing up my chia puddings which I make for fibre content so substituting protein bars mid-afternoon, some of them are quite good for fibre.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
@zauberflote Hope your back is better today. hugs for the distressing blood results.
@Kingmidas that cheesecake looks scrumptious. The recipe uses erythritol and i have sucralose, is it possible to exchange these? Would be brilliant to make a cheesecake to share with my gluten free grandaughter. She is only seven, but has already learnt to say no to anything that might upset her stomach.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Oh Yeah. Those veg repercussions... not fun!

You feeling OK now?

Not yet - hopefully by tomorrow. Its very embarrassing to have this a) when visitors are staying and b) while out in a restaurant.

Reactions: maglil55

Kingmidas

@zauberflote Hope your back is better today. hugs for the distressing blood results.
@Kingmidas that cheesecake looks scrumptious. The recipe uses erythritol and i have sucralose, is it possible to exchange these? Would be brilliant to make a cheesecake to share with my gluten free grandaughter. She is only seven, but has already learnt to say no to anything that might upset her stomach.
I have to say I'm not sure ... the sweetener I used is stevia/erythritol blend. I dont know much about substitutes - maybe someone else can help x

Reactions: Chook

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Stuck indoors in this lovely mild weather as I’m still on strict sofa/bed rest :(
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: cold roast chicken with cauliflower and broccoli salad followed by Greek yoghurt and raspberries.
Mid afternoon: peanut Phd bar and black coffee.
Dinner: bolognese with courgetti followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

Rachox, have you considered getting the garden furniture out and using either a lounger if you have any or another chair/stool to prop up your foot?

Being stuck indoors in good weather always seems like torture.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. Bit late posting as had to rush to Pilates straight after dinner. Wore a splint on my painful thumb - thanks @Chook for the advice - which really helped.

Sunny here too - work is getting in the way of being outside! Planning an early arrival tomorrow so can have a long canal walk home in the afternoon.

@Chook congratulations on your fast and great that it’s helped your psoriasis and arthritis.

@shelley262 let me know if you want some company on your 48 hour fast next week. Would be happy to join in. Like others have said, it’s getting past missing the evening meal that’s the biggest hurdle. Glad you’re enjoying the gym.

@zauberflote hugs for A1C higher than testing suggests - seems to be very common on the forum (me included) and for me emphasises the importance of personal testing.

Lunch today was M&S Serrano ham and manchego cheese rollitos and a bag of their pork crackling. Didn’t quite HTS so a 25g bag of almonds to top up.

Dinner was M&S Arbroath kippers followed by almond butter mixed with extra thick Jersey cream and 2 squares Lindt 90%.

Something has happened this week - belt has been wanting to move in a notch without quite getting there, so weekly weigh in will be interesting tomorrow.

Goonergal, I've posted many times about our bodies catching up with the scales.

For myself, I didn't carry that much weight, but I'd never had much of a waist; more sort of up and down shape. After a few months of maintaining weight, suddenly, it seemed, I had a waist, and it has stayed.

When we lose weight, it usually (in my world anyway) comes from the places we often least want it to - face, boobies or whatever, but as time goes on it seems to just shift around a bit.

If you're following roughly along the lines of my experience, your wiast will be here to stay. It took me down another size in skirts and trousers.

Last edited:

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I wonder if this might help.

Bulletproof-Baking-Conversion-Chart-for-Sugar-Substitutes-Infographic-752x581.jpg

There's lots out there on t'internet about comparing sweeteners and their various impacts.

Reactions: zauberflote

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Goonergal, I've posted many times about our bodies catching up with the scales.

For myself, I didn't carry ytha much weight, but I'd never had much of a waist; more sort of up and down shape. After a few months of maintaining weight, suddenly, it seemed, I had a waist, and it has stayed.

When we lose weight, it usually (in my world anyway) comes from the places we often least want it to - face, boobies or whatever, but as time goes on it seems to just shift around a bit.

If you're following roughly along the lines of my experience, your wiast will be here to stay. It took me down another size in skirts and trousers.

Thanks. I hope so - reducing my waist and general excess around my middle is the missing piece of the puzzle for me.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have to say I'm not sure ... the sweetener I used is stevia/erythritol blend. I dont know much about substitutes - maybe someone else can help x

@SlimLizzy to add to what @Kingmidas and @DCUKMod posted, erythritol is about 30% less sweet than sugar. I believe sucralose is exchangeable 1:1 for sugar, so it will depend on your taste. I tend to reduce the amount of sweetener called for, even if the recipe uses erythritol to suit my taste, so it’ll probably take a bit of experimentation.