Healthy Fat, or not?

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
To be honest, when I a man in a need to gain phase, I have to look on it as a job of work. Yes, eating does lose some pleasure in those circumstances, but not as much as becoming ill due to malnourishment or starvation.

Over th Christmas, after my surgery, I was having things like Irish coffees (decaf), just get get the calories in, in the evenings. Food wasn't always about the most beautiful plate or presentation, but about nutrient and calorie dense meals.

France, in my experience is a total dawdle as far as eating is concerned. Lots of good quality meats, decent fowl, game and dairy. Where I am now, the meat is decent enough quality but packaging can be a bit of a nightmare to work out; even on simple things like yoghurt, but I'll get by.
Haha. Yes, see what you mean. What language is that?

Cambodia?

Last edited:

Dexterdobe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Being unwell and seeing BG levels soar
I have been advised against eating a lot of fat in the past. But as a kid I hated fat on meat anyway. My wife eats fat well cooked though and so I know that I like it on bacon as long as it’s crispy for example.

Eating lard is just an alien concept for me and cannot at the moment bring myself to eat it. I know in bygone years lard and dripping etc was consumed more readily but I grew up in a later era where we cut the fat off our bacon, ate it lean and did the same with other meats, avoided frying where grilling could be applied instead.

I am eating more fat now in an attempt to comply with the needs of a LCHF diet but eating lard is another thing entirely :D

Also I have no gall bladder now so I am not sure how far I can go eating fat.

Dexterdobe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Being unwell and seeing BG levels soar
I have been advised against eating a lot of fat in the past. But as a kid I hated fat on meat anyway. My wife eats fat well cooked though and so I know that I like it on bacon as long as it’s crispy for example.

Eating lard is just an alien concept for me and cannot at the moment bring myself to eat it. I know in bygone years lard and dripping etc was consumed more readily but I grew up in a later era where we cut the fat off our bacon, ate it lean and did the same with other meats, avoided frying where grilling could be applied instead.

I am eating more fat now in an attempt to comply with the needs of a LCHF diet but eating lard is another thing entirely :D

It's odd how people used to eat so much lard, butter and fatty meat in the past, yet heart disease was much less of a problem than it is now. I mention this because we have all been conditioned to believe that fat is dangerous. Food cooked in butter and lard tastes better. Fatty meat is so tasty. It's so difficult to get over the ingrained fear of these healthy foods isn't it. We've all been brainwashed to fear fat and hate the taste and it's still going on. If fat is so bad for me, why do I feel so much better on a LCHF diet?

Reactions: Guzzler

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's odd how people used to eat so much lard, butter and fatty meat in the past, yet heart disease was much less of a problem than it is now. I mention this because we have all been conditioned to believe that fat is dangerous. Food cooked in butter and lard tastes better. Fatty meat is so tasty. It's so difficult to get over the ingrained fear of these healthy foods isn't it. We've all been brainwashed to fear fat and hate the taste and it's still going on. If fat is so bad for me, why do I feel so much better on a LCHF diet?
Because we have been lied to thanks to that Ancel Keys fella...

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's odd how people used to eat so much lard, butter and fatty meat in the past, yet heart disease was much less of a problem than it is now.
and that was in the days when there was a lot more smokers around, which raised heart disease risks.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Because we have been lied to thanks to that Ancel Keys fella...
What I find very hard to accept is that pretty much the whole nation, lock stock and barrel has fallen for this. I am not saying you are wrong, simply that it is incredible if true, which seems to be the case.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
From my experience of 1 the process you are employing of adding fat gradually is likely avoiding any lack of gallbladder issues. You still produce bile, it just doesn’t get stored and concentrated in the missing bladder, and it drip feeds instead of doses out a shot as required. Your body will up its production of bile as you up the level of fats eaten, it just neeeds time to catch up. In addition some people’s bile ducts enlarge and form a pseudo bladder conviently helping out too. I’m able to eat as much fat as I’ve wanted or tried to now, I don’t go crazy as I feel no need to hunger not being a problem. Previously a similar amount in one meal/day would have had unpleasant consequences.

M

Member496333

What I find very hard to accept is that pretty much the whole nation, lock stock and barrel has fallen for this. I am not saying you are wrong, simply that it is incredible if true, which seems to be the case.

Try the whole planet.

Moreover, according to some accounts, Keys didn’t even follow his own advice, and was often seen scoffing down bacon and eggs. No wonder he lived to be over a hundred. I sometimes wonder if he was aware of his deed and the impact it would have on humanity, or if he was such a narcissist that he truly believed the fictional advice he didn’t follow :shifty:

In any case it’s a bit of a miracle, and even more so since, for the most part, the majority still believes him despite everyone dropping dead around us. Cognitive dissonance. A wise man once said “It’s easier to fool people than it is to convince them they’ve been fooled.” No one likes to admit they’ve been eating a disasterous diet for their entire adult life, because to do so would be admitting failure and ignorance. Mostly, only those of us who have reaped the true consequences have been fortunate enough to see the truth for what it is - money makes the world tick.

C’est la vie :cool:

Reactions: Pasha and Listlad

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Try the whole planet.

Moreover, according to some accounts, Keys didn’t even follow his own advice, and was often seen scoffing down bacon and eggs. No wonder he lived to be over a hundred. I sometimes wonder if he was aware of his deed and the impact it would have on humanity, or if he was such a narcissist that he truly believed the fictional advice he didn’t follow :shifty:

In any case it’s a bit of a miracle, and even more so since, for the most part, the majority still believes him despite everyone dropping dead around us. Cognitive dissonance. A wise man once said “It’s easier to fool people than it is to convince them they’ve been fooled.” No one likes to admit they’ve been eating a disasterous diet for their entire adult life, because to do so would be admitting failure and ignorance. Mostly, only those of us who have reaped the true consequences have been fortunate enough to see the truth for what it is - money makes the world tick.

It’s not just individuals though, it’s government organisations too.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
But its such a convincingly simple argument.. eating fat makes you fat and gives you heart disease.. its so logically perfect that it is indeed quite hard to see through.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
But its such a convincingly simple argument.. eating fat makes you fat and gives you heart disease.. its so logically perfect that it is indeed quite hard to see through.
I fell for that argument in the late 1970s and stuck to it for over 30 years (even though it didn't work). Looking back I really cannot believe I was so stupid.and I really do regret the damage it has done to my body.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I fell for that argument in the late 1970s and stuck to it for over 30 years (even though it didn't work). Looking back I really cannot believe I was so stupid.and I really do regret the damage it has done to my body.
Please don't despair you are far from being the only one.. it's even strong today amazingly.. !

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
There is a certain twist of irony regarding my wife’s favourite food. Where she is from it is customary and commonplace to roast a whole pig which is the centrepiece of any feast. What she and her relatives etc would typically go for are the fatty bits, the boney bits and leave the fillet. This is because the fatty and boney bits are the most flavoursome. Which is quite the opposite to my approach which would be to go for the fillet. :D

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Try the whole planet.

"money makes the world tick."

Fed by greed as well !

Last edited:

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Please don't despair you are far from being the only one.. it's even strong today amazingly.. !
You are right - it's actually quite sad that this advice is still around today. I really feel so lucky that I found this site and all the good information on it.

Glucobabu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As far as I know ghee is clarified butter but as always check all the info on the pack.
According to the ancient aryuvedic medicine in India, ghee is extremely beneficial to your metabolism and health in general. One can find this info on google. Because of all the hysteria around saturated fats in the last 4 decades people stopped eating them and went for dubious low fat spreads which are now acknowledged to be harmful. Ghee is a completely natural fat with a lovely aroma. You can make it by slow-heating unsalted butter. It will keep in the fridge for months.