What (if any) wine or beer is it reasonable to drink.

Mikeonbike

Hi,
I'm waiting for a doctors appointment ( it takes 2 weeks here) to review a blood test from the local hospital after a routine check up at my GP showed high glucose in my urine. I bought a test meter from Argos which showed a high fasting level of 140 yesterday, today was 109 so no diagnosis yet but it looks like pre or 2 diabetes.
I like wine with a main meal and have cut that down to between 1 and 2 glasses. Is there a best alcoholic drink to take and I'm not sure whether or not wholemeal porridge with blueberries is a good idea for breakfast.

Spl@

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Humans that only take.
Depends on what you react to.

I have my 1c down to 31 (low90's by your numbers).

By my meter bread is still bad. The biggest villan for me is booze. Of any kind. I simply cannot tolerate it. At all.

So standard answer is see what the meter says.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
All fermented drink contains sugar. It is the sugar that ferments into alcohol (just as bad). The amount of sugar that is left after fermentation defines how sweet or dry a wine is. Dry is less sugar.

Discussing the amount of sugar in beer is often a waste of time since most drinkers I know do not stop at one pint.

Distilled drinks do not contain sugar but a mixer might.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Red wine is fine, also most spirits with sugar free mixers. Beers are the dicey ones. If you are needing to lose weight, then remember that alcoholic drinks are calorific and won't help.

Reactions: keefidee

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I've never had s problem with one or two glasses of red but I have found that my tolerance for alcohol is reduced nowadays. I am also fine with gin and slimline tonic. Beer is horrendous for me - I might as well be eating bread.

Porridge is a big no for me too (too many carbs for my body to process).

Reactions: keefidee
M

Member496333

My favourite drink used to be a nice craft beer or IPA. Once that was off the menu I was left with wine or spirits, both of which could easily lead to somewhere I didn’t want to go. With that in mind I decided to go teetotal and honestly prefer an alcohol free life. Not had a drink in well over a year.

But yes, red wine seems ok for most people in terms of immediate glucose response. Beer not so much. What alcohol itself may or may not be doing for your liver as a potential diabetic is a different matter.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have made myself some real ginger beer which I fermented out - that is allowed the yeast to continue working until it had converted sugar to alcohol - the remaining liquid did not show sugar using a urine testing strip.
I added artificial sweetener to get the taste I wanted.
I might try fermenting out a wine - just to see what can be done, but these days I don't really do alcohol.
Dry wine is the better choice, if you are buying drinks, but beer is not really going to work.