600 calories to "reverse" Type2

Patch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
This bit was interesting to me:

"We have known that starvation is a good cure for diabetes. If we introduced rationing tomorrow, then we could get rid of diabetes in this country."

I didn't know that. Maybe intermittent fasting could help with T2? (1 day fasting a week, perhaps?)

Diesel Diva

Lots of discussion going on at work regarding this subject today, mainly amongst those who do not have Diabetes, and aimed at the couple of us that do have Type2!

Marzeater

Were the test patients still on medication during the trial.
I would give it a go myself but the gliclizide takes me occasionlly low.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It has taken me over a a year to get up to7 stone if I try this I will disapear down the plug hole
CAROL

CMichael

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
To answer Marzeater, a few of the participants were on medication before the trial but were taken off it a week before. People using insulin or thiazolidinediones were excluded. I think it is interesting that the focus of the Newcastle study was very much on measuring the effects of a sudden calorie deficit on the metabolism and that the idea for the study came from observing the results of weight loss surgery. As the researchers say, their study has many limitations, not least the small number of participants, which was necessary to allow the 'gold standard' of evaluation of the dietary effects. So perhaps it will provide clues as to why weight loss is so beneficial in type 2 diabetes as well as pointing to potential for treatment options. Phoenix gives a very detailed explanation of the trial. The low-calorie meal replacement was Optifast from Nestlé, but the key is that this was very carefully supervised. As others have said it's not a regime that would be easy to stick to at all! I've written a bit more about the trial on my website if anyone is interested...

Emmerdale

Wonder Cure

Hi Has anyone read the article in todays Daily Express And I wondered if those of you with far more knowledge of Diabetes thought of it ????

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Re: Wonder Cure

May be small sample result but sure beats "Eat yer starchy Carbs" :twisted:
Seriously, with full details we may have something to work from.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bob it could be something like :!: If you eat more than 600 cals you are a wimp :!: And if you dont you soon will be :?
CAROL

Ka-Mon

Dislikes
Childish people who start childish arguments. KNOW-ALLS who claim they can help people to control their Diabetes without knowing their medical back ground.

BLINKERED people who think their way is the ONLY way.

Eating LOADS of SAT FATS. I HATE SAT FATS.

Did I mention I dislike KNOW-ALLS.

People desperate for attention and recognition.

People who get angry when they don't receive anything in return for helping others.
"We have known that starvation is a good cure for diabetes. If we introduced rationing tomorrow, then we could get rid of diabetes in this country."

If we all stopped eating completely then there wouldn't be any diabetics left for them to worry about. :lol:

I really do not understand what all the hype is about and definitely do not understand why they could claim a success when only 7 out of 11 was "cured" out of which only 4 is known to still show no sign of diabetes 1 is again a diabetic and they have no idea what happened to the other 2.

So if you think about it, 4 "cured", 4 not "cured", 1 again a diabetic and 2 God only knows. 4 out of 11 and they can get rid of diabetes? Don't really sound right does it?

Three months after the end of the diet, seven of the 11 men and women were still diabetes-free. Now, 18 months on, four of the five that have been in touch with the researchers still have no signs of diabetes.

And just imagine 2.5 million diabetics in the country being admitted to hospital so that they can be "cured" by this new "miracle cure". :lol:

bowell

Dislikes
Tablets, Mums with pushchair who push in ,Bus and WC
Also No strips and No food to start T2 off with Ding! save the NHS Thousands,, Condems be thinking that

All the T2s on Diet only,, Come on you have not been trying very hard have you ?
its 12weeks now you should be cured by now

I am as active as a Slug now ,Can I get the dietitian to tell me how many Cals
I would need ,to keep wheelchair belly off,, NO! All i get is eat a balanced diet Grrrrrrr
and we don't do diet plans.
Stopped going to see her now total waste of time just a tick in the box exercise

Just do my own thing now ,,Seems to be working But deff not a cure

Bob

Ka-Mon

Dislikes
Childish people who start childish arguments. KNOW-ALLS who claim they can help people to control their Diabetes without knowing their medical back ground.

BLINKERED people who think their way is the ONLY way.

Eating LOADS of SAT FATS. I HATE SAT FATS.

Did I mention I dislike KNOW-ALLS.

People desperate for attention and recognition.

People who get angry when they don't receive anything in return for helping others.
Pumpkin said:
Gotta laugh at such medieval quackery.

Some are laughing alright, "told you there is a cure for diabetes" type of laugh though.

markd

This study, small though it is, does tend to validate what a number of previously obese T2s have been saying in the various threads about 'is T2 necessarily progressive?'.

It seems pretty clear that there are several paths to T2; one can strike healthy fit people of normal weight and is probably mostly genetic.

Another strikes those who are obese, sedentary and eat junk food and is probably more to do with lifestyle mixed with a genetic susceptibility..

I was in the latter category and lost over 40% of my weight in 8 months immediately after diagnosis by maintaining a diet of around 1000 calories per day (most of the time, slacked-off on vacations) with a *lot* of exercise. I was on Met and then Glucobay for a brief time - my Doc being an early-interventionist.

Now, I'm six and a half foot tall and very 'big boned' (still no excuse for letting myself get so obese though - BMI over 40) so 1000 cals/day on me may not be so far off being equivalent to 600 cals/day for a normal sized person - and I maintained it for far longer than three months.

Maybe they should rerun that study with 1000 cals/day for, say, six months and see what the result is. Far more people could stick at 1000 than 600, which seems far too close to starvation to me!

600 cals/day certainly needs close medical monitoring, but 1000?

My fasting this morning was 3.8 - a little lower than usual and it is very rare that I exceed 4.7 for either fasting or two hours post meal. When I do an informal OGTT, the result is a clear pass, though slightly higher than the normal non-diabetic graph - but then I'm 60 and the pancreas does age anyway - I suspect that those 'normals' were younger than me!

I don't know how long I'll stay in remission, but hopefully well into old age when there are plenty more things to fear!

Mark

Hobnoblin

markd said:
This study, small though it is, does tend to validate what a number of previously obese T2s have been saying in the various threads about 'is T2 necessarily progressive?'.

Heresy!

But you are right diabetes does not have to be progressive, despite what your HCPs say.

bonetweed

when i first was told about my diabetes,after blurd vision my blood was 17,inever wanted to take tablets,so i went on a crash diet,i soon was able to get my blood reading under 7,if i went swimming 4.5,my blurd vision went back to normal,i said to the nurse after a 6 month period,i think i am cured,she said no you have it under control,and this is what these have done controled it, i am now on tablets 2 years on,the reason you need to diet for life to keep your sugar down

galgal

this happened to break in the Irish news last Friday - I got calls and emails from family and friends. I printed it out from the rte news website and took it along to my doctor, who read it, got extremely annoyed after it and told me to put it straight into the bin. She said it was completely unrealistic and did not agree with it at all.

By the way, not all 11 were successful - only 7 are.......so far!!

On another note, I got put on blood pressure tablets last week, (along with my glucoflage and cholesterol tablet). My doctor said it was normal that I would be on it, but she did not want to frighten me by overloading me with pills just after being diagnosed. Is it normal to be on these three pills?

Unbeliever

galgal, I was prescribed metformin when I was first diagnosed for its preventatibve properties .

It has never made any difference to my blood sugar that I can see but I have a family history of stroke and herart attack.

When I started to have problems with my eyes {reinopahy} I was prescribed ramipril agai nn as a preventative measure, If you have been prescribed ststins or other medication for your choleserol this may have been because high bg also usually means raised cholesterol.

I was also prescribed statins immediately for the same reasons as the metformin.

Sounds as though you might have similar risk factors or family history o me.

merlinsbrook

During the last world war the bulk of the people in the UK due to strict rationing of food which was around 1400 calories a day obesity was rare, so was diabetics, the people were thin and very healthy, now you look around at your friends and families and realise we must diet and try to get your health under control, I have recently started a diet of 1250 calories a day recomended by a leading supermarket and am extremly satisfied and feel great on this diet, if we do not start to educate the large numbers of obese people soon there will be an explosion of diabetics many times the numbers there are now, schools should try to put to children the dangers of obesity.