Miao Miao, Bluetooth and air travel

DorsetJon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, apologies if this has been asked before, but I can't find this question after searching the forums.

I use a Freestyle Libre with a Miao Miao Bluetooth transmitter to send blood glucose readings to my iPhone 6 (running Spike). On some airlines you are asked to turn off wireless and Bluetooth (I think) devices during take off and landing. I can turn the phone off, or set it to flight mode, but the Maio Maio transmitter cannot be turned off (to my knowledge). If I have turned the phone off, so that the Maio Maio is no longer paired with it, would the Maio Maio then stop Bluetooth transmissions and be acceptable during takeoff/landing?

This is probably similar to the situation with Bluetooth headphones, i.e. is it enough to just turn your phone/pad/PC off and not the headphones?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, apologies if this has been asked before, but I can't find this question after searching the forums.

I use a Freestyle Libre with a Miao Miao Bluetooth transmitter to send blood glucose readings to my iPhone 6 (running Spike). On some airlines you are asked to turn off wireless and Bluetooth (I think) devices during take off and landing. I can turn the phone off, or set it to flight mode, but the Maio Maio transmitter cannot be turned off (to my knowledge). If I have turned the phone off, so that the Maio Maio is no longer paired with it, would the Maio Maio then stop Bluetooth transmissions and be acceptable during takeoff/landing?

This is probably similar to the situation with Bluetooth headphones, i.e. is it enough to just turn your phone/pad/PC off and not the headphones?
These days, its mainly a request to select flight mode, as most flights have a wifi offering onboard.

That airline you are flying with' website should probably hold that's information, or you could contact their customer relations department if you have real concerns.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Wrap in tinfoil (or an RFID screening device) during take off and landing?

DorsetJon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
These days, its mainly a request to select flight mode, as most flights have a wifi offering onboard.

That airline you are flying with' website should probably hold that's information, or you could contact their customer relations department if you have real concerns.

Thank you. BA state: "All Bluetooth accessories (for example wireless keyboard, headphones, etc) may only be used during the flight but must remain switched off for taxi, take-off and landing". However, the problem is that the Maio Maio cannot be turned off. Their reply to my emailed enquiry was not helpful, but I will try to phone their customer relations.

D

Deleted Account

My watch/cheap fit-bit communicates with my phone via bluetooth.
It has been on many flights with me and I have never tried to disable the comms. I'm not sure it is possible.
I find Bluetooth is pretty short range (not as short as NFC) so I have not been concerned that it will affect the electronics in the plane.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.

DorsetJon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
My watch/cheap fit-bit communicates with my phone via bluetooth.
It has been on many flights with me and I have never tried to disable the comms. I'm not sure it is possible.
I find Bluetooth is pretty short range (not as short as NFC) so I have not been concerned that it will affect the electronics in the plane.

Thanks, Helen, that is reassuring.