What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Kingmidas

Breakfast - the usual 'muesli' today with the addition of freeze dried raspberry pieces which I stole from daughter, tea

Lunch - met up with a friend at a pub and that was the hardest menu I've ever had to try and find something on. Everything was pastry, chips, bread, wraps, potatoes, stodgy puddings ... nightmare. In the end I had gammon and egg with sweet potato fries instead of normal chips. Not ideal ... first time I've really struggled though.

Dinner - steak, salad and olives. Another slice of the seemingly endless strawberry cheesecake and strawberries on top!

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@maglil55 , not sure about physio, I have a consultant follow up on 2nd March, I guess I’ll find out then. Food wise I froze loads of LC meals pre op so quick to zap in the microwave for Mr Rachox. I can manage the few minutes standing at the cooker to make my coconut porridge but am drawing the line at mixing up my chia puddings which I make for fibre content so substituting protein bars mid-afternoon, some of them are quite good for fibre.
I can so relate to your situation. It's not easy on crutches. Thankfully one of the many things they gave me when I was discharged was a Zimmer with a kind of caddy thing on the front as even getting a cup of tea was a major operation. You get to be quite ingenious at finding ways to do things.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all
Quick catch up to say I’m glad your knees have benefited from the fasting @Chook
Amazed at @Goonergal going out in shorts in Feb - I went out without my coat and felt I was being daring.
@ziggy_w pleased to hear you have a bit of a calmer time approaching.
@dunelm I’ve also had problems with tumeric stains on worksurfaces - it seems to get everywhere. What is chaga though?

Better get on with posting food
Spent most of today being hungry, coffee and cream for breakfast then cracked at 11:00 and had some leftover DD moussaka that the others had for dinner yesterday.
Rehab gym class then, its finally started again after the Christmas break and Ive really missed it, for the laughs as much as the exercise.
Dinner was another DD recipe parmesan baked salmon and asparagus but I didn’t like it. Might have been ok if I’d left it in for another 10 mins but I’d gone right off it and threw it away. Had 3 seedy crackers with cheddar and a small glass of red wine which I also chucked out after a few sips. Very odd feeling being hungry but couldn’t think of anything I fancied. Ended up with my standby of a handful of Callebaut buttons and coffee ( decaf) with cresm. Always HTS

BibaBee

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Much better today! I had a weird rumbling tummy night with lots of wakefulness times and during one of them it occurred to me that I'd read on this forum that the PIL for Metformin recommends it shouldn't be taken at the same time as a very low calorie diet. I think a four day fast could be classed as VLC. Ah well, lesson - next time I'll know better.

Thank you, everyone, for your nice comments about me fasting. It's making me feel like I'm getting them under false preferences because, apart from a few periods of hunger (which comes in waves) it really was much, much easier than I expected.

Today my FBG had gone back up a little bit BUT the best thing is that it really seems to have done something for my knees - I easily bent them to get in to the car last night and again this morning - that's something that has been a real problem recently.

I was going ask you how you were managing with the Metformin and fasting. Mr B is thinking about giving it a try, but he's on 500mg twice a day. He's been lucky so far with no major stomach issues....but perhaps it's not such a good idea after all. :depressed: He might wait and see if they reduce his dose at his next check up. Hope your system settles down soon.

Emma_369

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. Strange and somewhat annoying day - after being off work yesterday why I didn’t book today off too I’ll never now - so hard to get motivated to do anything on a Friday never mind when you’ve been off the day before! Anyway was meant to get my eyelashes infilled after work - went over to appointment. She’d got confused and had me in next week - it’s definitely her that’s wrong as I’m busy next Friday so know I didn’t book it for then. So now having to get squeezed in Sunday morning :mad: it’s left me in somewhat of an agitated mood so going swimming shortly - probably not the best idea as can barely walk thanks to a dodgy hip but need to vent some form of energy and the Swim22 challenge for Diabetes UK starts today so going to get some lengths in and will suffer whatever consequences come from it. What this does mean is no dinner tonight as will be too late once I’m back from the pool. Thankfully I have eaten something today:
Breakfast - just coffee
Lunch - 5 sriracha hot chicken wings & 2 spicy chicken and pepper skewers, with mayo and 2 babybel cheeses

Edited to add - and my BG has been running a whole 1mmol higher than I like all day - not food related as you can see from my menu so going to put it down to inflammation of my hip - and clearly re-reading this post back the inflammation of my patience and temper probably too ;)

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Evening all
Quick catch up to say I’m glad your knees have benefited from the fasting @Chook
Amazed at @Goonergal going out in shorts in Feb - I went out without my coat and felt I was being daring.
@ziggy_w pleased to hear you have a bit of a calmer time approaching.
@dunelm I’ve also had problems with tumeric stains on worksurfaces - it seems to get everywhere. What is chaga though?

Better get on with posting food
Spent most of today being hungry, coffee and cream for breakfast then cracked at 11:00 and had some leftover DD moussaka that the others had for dinner yesterday.
Rehab gym class then, its finally started again after the Christmas break and Ive really missed it, for the laughs as much as the exercise.
Dinner was another DD recipe parmesan baked salmon and asparagus but I didn’t like it. Might have been ok if I’d left it in for another 10 mins but I’d gone right off it and threw it away. Had 3 seedy crackers with cheddar and a small glass of red wine which I also chucked out after a few sips. Very odd feeling being hungry but couldn’t think of anything I fancied. Ended up with my standby of a handful of Callebaut buttons and coffee ( decaf) with cresm. Always HTS
I was suffering from that "hungry but didn't fancy anything" yesterday hence the childhood boiled eggs mashed with a little butter. Wouldn't have been the same without the toast though. Thank goodness I'd made another Dr Almond loaf.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @DJC3, Chaga is a type of fungus that grows on trees. It contains lots of vitamins, minerals and anitoxidants. You boil it up to make a tea.
Supposed to be good for things like blood pressure, cholesterol and just might help with blood sugars. Who knows. Anyhow, I have some so plonked it in when making tumuric tea this morning.

Last edited:

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: Babybel cheesees with cauliflower and broccoli salad followed by Greek yoghurt and raspberries.
Mid afternoon: cookies and cream phd bar and black coffee.
Dinner: cold roast chicken with cauliflower and broccoli salad, coleslaw and pork scratchings followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What a funny day, food wise and otherwise.
Lunch; I decided to have two very thin slices of my hemp bread to make egg bread and bash half an avocado on top. Far too much and ended up chucking a slice of the eggy bread.
Dinner; a fish pie. Made to this recipe but only used a third of the ingredients, half left for tomorrow;
https://sugarfreelondoner.com/fish-pie-cauliflower-mash-low-carb/
The lemon zest was not to my taste and will leave it out if I ever do it again.
Also, really should have pin boned the fish - twit.
Lots of water consumed as well at Yorkshire tea and a cafetiere of kofee.
Made a batch of tumeric tea this morning and in a lightbulb moment, chucked in some chaga - tastes good.
Just need to figure out how to get yellow stains from worktops, cupboard doors, floors and slippers - oops!
A paste of bicarbonate should do the trick. Clean it first then rub the paste in. Adding a little vinegar or lemon juice will make it fizz , a bit of elbow grease and it should shift. If not another possibility is toothpaste. For clothing you can't beat Dr Beckmann's stain removers.

Reactions: zauberflote

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all and hope you had a good day (obviously @Emma_369 would say did I bleep). So, patio doors open and Alexa obligingly played some Eagles classics in February - all a little discombobulating really.
Lots of tea, charmed the lady in Morrisons to make me cocoa with my own cocoa and almond milk. Lunch at 14.00 was egg mayo on Dr Almond black bread toast. Evening meal was roast chicken and avocado salad given crunch by plenty celery and some fennel.
@zauberflote my ideal diet would be based around the large salads, include more fruit but largely in season from our garden - I have never eaten little or no fruit since being weaned - and definitely good sourdough. Essentially, it would not preclude any food groups.
Highlight today, apart from Eagles, was the success of my bonfire building and stoking - immodestly proud of that.

Last edited:

BibaBee

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Evening everyone. Well, I managed OMAD today, which considering it's been a long and stressful week at work isn't bad. There was no way I could come home feeling tired, cook dinner for Mr B and not eat. I might try for a proper fast next week.

Breakfast: Nothing except black coffee for me. Mr B had orange flower chia pudding and coffee with cream.
Lunch: Nothing for me, but plenty coffee, herbal tea and water. Mr B had spiced chicken, babybel, salad leaves, seeds, French dressing.
Dinner: Bacon and sausage hash with leeks, Savoy cabbage and mushrooms served with a fried egg. SF Jelly and cream. Decaf coffee and cream.

Edit to say that dinner was a winner. It's an old favourite, but first time I've adapted it as a LC version. I didn't really miss the spuds.

Last edited:

BibaBee

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast - the usual 'muesli' today with the addition of freeze dried raspberry pieces which I stole from daughter, tea

Lunch - met up with a friend at a pub and that was the hardest menu I've ever had to try and find something on. Everything was pastry, chips, bread, wraps, potatoes, stodgy puddings ... nightmare. In the end I had gammon and egg with sweet potato fries instead of normal chips. Not ideal ... first time I've really struggled though.

Dinner - steak, salad and olives. Another slice of the seemingly endless strawberry cheesecake and strawberries on top!

It can be tricky with some pubs. We're lucky that our local regular pubs usually have one or two steak or fish options that are suitable, we just ask them to swap out the chips or potatoes for veg or salad.

Reactions: zauberflote

Kingmidas

It can be tricky with some pubs. We're lucky that our local regular pubs usually have one or two steak or fish options that are suitable, we just ask them to swap out the chips or potatoes for veg or salad.
It's a 'chain' pub and I couldn't see any sign of salad or veg options with many of the meals, save for a token gesture of a side salad. It's not really a problem as I'm back under the prediabetic threshold but I like to stick to the 'programme' as much as poss!

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was suffering from that "hungry but didn't fancy anything" yesterday hence the childhood boiled eggs mashed with a little butter. Wouldn't have been the same without the toast though. Thank goodness I'd made another Dr Almond loaf.

I probably could have gone for that too - satisfying comfort food, but you’re right, definitely would need bread.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @DJC3, Chaga is a type of fungus that grows on trees. It contains lots of vitamins, minerals and anitoxidants. You boil it up to make a tea.
Supposed to be good for things like blood pressure, cholesterol and just might help with blood sugars. Who knows. Anyhow, I have some so plonked it in when makin tumuric tea this morning.

Sounds interesting, does it taste mushroomy?

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bed 4.2 FBG 4.4 - big improvement. No 1 has a slight fever so is staying home. No 2 still has school though. I'm concerned that I kind of understood the logic of a 5 year old mind though. He was spinning round and round in the lines and I asked him to stop as he'd get dizzy and fall. He continued and of course fell. Got him up, checked he was OK and he promptly started spinning the other way. Have you not listened? But I have to says he - I'm undizzying myself. OK then? I think. He was straight home after school so I got peace to go do my shopping which give me tomorrow to myself.
B. I enjoyed my childhood eggs so much last night that inbetween delivering the undizzying grandson to school and going to physio I made them again - 2 soft boiled eggs, mashed with a little butter and a couple of bits of Dr Almond toast. Tassimo Americano grande with a dash of cream.
L. Back from physio , got the spinning dervish from school , dropped him off then off shopping while munching 1/3rd of a PhD raspberry bar.
D. Pan fried lemon sole with veggie chips, peas, with sugar free tomato ketchup. Wee scoop of Halo Top with raspberries.
Hopefully tomorrow is as nice as today since I have a home day.