Type 2 Injections of Insulin when out for a meal

MS6502

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, how do people cope with doing the insulin injection when out for a meal. Only just started on insulin and I’m worried what other people may think or say when I get my insulin pen out and inject

Reactions: For ma son
D

Deleted Account

As Nike would say “Just do it”.
Some people leave the table but I always inject where I am. The table is far more hygienic than the bathroom.
If you have a friend or partner, you can get them to dominate the conversation/distract everyone else in the time it takes to get your pen out, dial up the dose and stab yourself.
I always went for the tummy area and wore separates so could life my sweater/pull my shirt open without exposing too much bright white flesh.

Reactions: For ma son

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @MS6502 I was quite self conscious once upon a time about injecting in restaurants, fortunately I have a very supportive partner who told me to do it at the table instead of running off to the loo, I did it quite discretely under the table and guess what one no one around me batted an eyelid. I think sometimes we can over think things.

Reactions: Dodo

DorsetJon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I too find it's easiest in a restaurant to lift up my shirt slightly and inject into the stomach area, usually turning towards my partner a little so that it's less/not obvious to other people in the restaurant. I also warn any other family/friends/colleagues at the table that I am about to inject; if they didn't know beforehand that I have diabetes, this often results in them asking about how I deal with it and (hopefully) they become better informed about diabetes as a result.

Reactions: Dodo and For ma son

alphabeta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm a college student in his teenage years; not the best age to have diabetes. Adolescence itself is hard; add diabetes to the mix and good luck! Imagine to inject in a crowded cafeteria infront of at least 100 other strangers. Well that's what I do. I got the funny looks but afterall they are college students, they should be educated enough to know that it is what I have to do. Almost every time I do so I pray that someone approaches to ask me what I am doing to spred the word. If we don't educate the public, who will?

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
If people want to watch, fine.... I'm doing it anyway. They don't have to watch.

For ma son

Hi, how do people cope with doing the insulin injection when out for a meal. Only just started on insulin and I’m worried what other people may think or say when I get my insulin pen out and inject
Hi worrying at first people looking at ,or pass some smart ,thst all ma son got be because he had to get insulin pen out and use it

For ma son

I'm a college student in his teenage years; not the best age to have diabetes. Adolescence itself is hard; add diabetes to the mix and good luck! Imagine to inject in a crowded cafeteria infront of at least 100 other strangers. Well that's what I do. I got the funny looks but afterall they are college students, they should be educated enough to know that it is what I have to do. Almost every time I do so I pray that someone approaches to ask me what I am doing to spred the word. If we don't educate the public, who will?
hi when ma son was at high school that al he got what u doing , laugh at him called name s because of his diabetes , and i made it clear to hall hole school he was type one ,

MS6502

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks everyone for your advice. Been out for my first meal, no issues and I don’t think anyone saw me testing and doing my injection. All over in 30 seconds