Hi All

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
***!
Welcome and cracking name might I add.
Similar story and numbers from me too. Doncha just love this way of life? I've got my next HbA1c next week but a year ago it was 5.0 I also had trigs of 0.6 Smug? Of course, and I bet you are too :wink:
I regard any BS of mine at a level of 7 or above with horror. My lovely dad has been dying for the past 30 years of T2. He's now 88 and slowly rotting away. You name the complication, he's got it and all because he has followed, to the letter, the advice of the various consultants and diabetes nurses he has had over the years. At one time, he had an HbA1c of 15. Doesn't seem possible, does it.
They have now washed their hands of him because they think he is completely non-compliant. He is an intelligent and articulate man but simply does not understand the concept of carbohydrate restriction or ratios because, in 30 years, not one HCP has explained this to him.
I remember, as a teenager in the 70's, him dealing with frozen shoulders and later, finger contractures and then a heart attack that he survived only because he was with one of Austria's leading cardiologists, sharing a fag. Dad had stepped out of a large conference because he had 'indigestion'.

Long may you, and I, stay in control!!

wiflib

Wow,

I certainly didn’t intend to raise such a furore.

I was certainly lucky in finding the sites DSolve and BloodSugar 101 when initially diagnosed. It would seem that some of your posters would also benefit.

The dangers of prolonged high blood sugars are long term. In the short term you may be able have high blood glucose levels without complications.

The argument that some people with good control suffer complications while some people with bad control have no complications may be true for some individuals but on the whole for the population of diabetics it is certainly not true. An analogy perhaps “My grandfather smoked all his life and never suffered from lung cancer.”

Google the relaxation of the NICE HbA1c guidelines to 7.5%. It would appear that this was due to the fallacious conclusions of the notorious ACCORD study. The intensive-therapy group had a significantly higher proportion of diabetics receiving the now banned druga Avandia and Actos than the standard-therapy group.

We all have right to manage our blood glucose levels in any manner of our choosing. However, it would be unfortunate to suffer long term complications out of ignorance.

Ka-Mon

Dislikes
Childish people who start childish arguments. KNOW-ALLS who claim they can help people to control their Diabetes without knowing their medical back ground.

BLINKERED people who think their way is the ONLY way.

Eating LOADS of SAT FATS. I HATE SAT FATS.

Did I mention I dislike KNOW-ALLS.

People desperate for attention and recognition.

People who get angry when they don't receive anything in return for helping others.
Hi FishingForSouls and welcome to the forum.

The only advice I like to give you is to keep doing whatever it is you are happy with for the simple reason that if you do something you are not happy with, it a definite sure thing that you will not stick with it. If it works for you and makes you happy that's all that matters.

What makes me happy is to eat whatever I like in small portions so that I can keep my BG max to 8 which I manage most of the time. Sometimes I do go over and I have only myself to blame because I am doing what I want to do and am happy with it.

Do what you want and not what someone says you must.

Ka-Mon

Dislikes
Childish people who start childish arguments. KNOW-ALLS who claim they can help people to control their Diabetes without knowing their medical back ground.

People who get angry when they don't receive anything in return for helping others.
wiflib said:
***!
wiflib

For a minute I though you were going to swear at him. :lol: :lol:

raydavies

Hi FishingForSouls,

In my horror at some of the figures quoted, I forgot to say welcome!

Your numbers are excellent and an example to which we should all aspire.

Mind you, mine aren't far off yours with what sounds like a similar diet.

Ray

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Hi Fishingforsouls

Your numbers are excellent and an example to which we should all aspire.

Mind you, mine are as good as yours with what sounds like a totally different diet. :D

Sid

raydavies

Mind you, mine are as good as yours with what sounds like a totally different diet.

Well done, but the discussion is about the numbers we should be aiming for rather than how we got there. Some of us are doing well some not so well.

What bothers me are those who are not doing well and are complacent about it because they seem to be getting away with it.

It's highly probable it will catch up with them in the end. Rather like the smoker who says "it's not doing me any harm".

Ray

Ka-Mon

Dislikes

raydavies said:
Mind you, mine are as good as yours with what sounds like a totally different diet.
Well done, but the discussion is about the numbers we should be aiming for rather than how we got there. Some of us are doing well some not so well.

FishingForSouls said:
I have managed to get my HBA1c down to 5.2%, Total/HDL cholesterol ratio down to 3.5, triglycerides down to 0.7 and blood pressure down 115/75.

I eat very low carb, moderate protein and high fat – animal fats, coconut cream, double cream in coffee, olive oil and butter but definitely no margarine.

And I thought this was a welcome thread where the OP talks about his numbers and HOW he GOT there? :shock: Not the first time I could be wrong! :?

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
raydavies said:
Well done, but the discussion is about the numbers we should be aiming for rather than how we got there.

You started it.

Actually the thread is an introduction thread but you seem to have turned it into a witch hunt against the new mod :evil:

C

catherinecherub

josie38 said:
Ray......I have no problems at all with keeping my bs at these levels and i have no complications.

As you said what suits one doesn't suit another...why do you assume that going over 10 is wrong?

You don't know my history...so what things need to be said?

Josie

The clue is in the last line.
We do not know why this member keeps her levels higher than some strive for. They are not advocating it is alright for everyone but just illustrating the differences there are.

louiseb

Read the posts, if you don’t agree with something then just ignore it. Do not rip it to pieces because it is not your opinion or way of doing things. It is obviously someone else’s way of doing things.

welcome to the forum fishing for souls.

raydavies

What!!

Read the posts, if you don’t agree with something then just ignore it

What on earth is the point of having a forum then?

Do we have to agree with every thing whether it's nonsense or not?

And no Sid I didn't start it; I merely pointed out something that was glaringly wrong, but it seems that you have to be one of "the clique" to be allowed an opinion without occurring the wrath of the usual suspects.

I was hoping this forum would improve but it will not until the angry mob are put in their places.

Ray

Ka-Mon

Dislikes

raydavies said:
What!!

Read the posts, if you don’t agree with something then just ignore it

What on earth is the point of having a forum then?

Do we have to agree with every thing whether it's nonsense or not?

I would say certainly not, I personally do not agree that BG readings between 6 - 8 will definitely do some damage, it may and then again it may not, especially if they are only occasional. Anything higher than that may do some damage but again, it seems to be a lottery as to who will be affected by it or not. I know of at least one person who has been running in the mid to high teens and it certainly hasn't done any damage to her, she has been a diabetic for about 12 years now. I am in no way saying that it is safe to run in those numbers but it has be agreed that everyone has a choice and that choice is theirs alone to make.

I was hoping this forum would improve but it will not until the angry mob are put in their places.

Ray

And who would this "angry mob" be than and how do you propose putting them "in their places"?

Iced_Tea

No, please, please, this arguing is so upsetting and scary.
But now I know the answer to my question, I think. I will have to work how to go about things then, need to experiment.

Thank you and goodnight and please be friends.
Inez

Hobnoblin

Great numbers ***. My first hba1c a month after diagnosis was 6.8, rather than being pleased my doc said that I should be aiming for non diabetic numbers. Her words not mine. I've never looked back.

Hi Josie, you may feel got at in this thread but I just wanted to say that I too felt horrid when I reduced BG levels initally but it settled after a couple of weeks. It may be worth persevering with, But I'm not trying to tell you what to do. :D

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Josie, you may feel got at in this thread but I just wanted to say that I too felt horrid when I reduced BG levels initally but it settled after a couple of weeks. It may be worth persevering with, But I'm not trying to tell you what to do
Josie has T1, the biggest trial, the DCCT found that HBA1c levels above 7.5% were indeed linked with complications, but it also showed that reducing them below 6% didn't decrease the risk of these complications by much but significantly increased the risk of serious hypos. Life with T1 is a balancing act between the long term risk of complications and the short term but equally devastating risk of a very serious hypo. For some people,for example if their counter regulatory system doesn't work very effciently or if they lose hypo awareness this can make aiming for too low a target unadvisable.
If you look at the people who have lived with T1 diabetes for 50+ years they have an average HbA1c of about 7.2%... and I doubt their control was that brilliant when they were younger and the only test involved boiling up urine and seeing what colour Bendicts solution turned it!

Hobnoblin

Ah sorry, I didn't realize Josie was T1, I wouldn't presume to advise a T1 on the management of their diabetes. By the same token I only listen to advice from other T2s on my management. I don't think one set should be trying to educate the other. Very different conditions.

josie38

To all concerned,

I have T1, had it for nearly 15 years and i use an insulin pump. I do not assume to advise a T2 on their control and what they do. I merely pointed out that sometimes it is ok to run a bit high. Comments passed previously by members do not contain a question as to my type. To inform those I suffer from hypo unawareness I have to young childreen ( 5 and 3) who currently are too young to understand about my condition so it was agreed between my consultant and myself that is was favourable to run a little bit higher so the chances of having a hypo are slightly lessened. Everything else i suffer from is not linked to my diabetes eg i suffer from high blood pressure because i had pre-eclampsia when i was pregnant. As far as i am aware that is not linked to diabetes as non diabetics can have it as well.

So hopefully this has now put the matter to rest instead of people "hi-jacking" and introduction page.

Josie