Spirit Healthcare Free Monitor

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
Re: Free Montitor

Wow,

now that's good service!

I hope gratope see's this as i'm sure he's desperately trying to get a meter!

C

catherinecherub

Funky Mum said:
http://www.spirit-healthcare.co.uk/caresenspatient.aspx

I put in my details yesterday and it has just arrived now :shock:

:D

A lot depends on the cost of the test strips. There are plenty of free meters to be had. If the strips are cheaper than Abbots or e-bay then people will be pleased. How much are they?

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

thanks for this Funky Mum :) - have filled in my details so will wait and see - the strips are a good price at £12 something - as a lot of us have to buy our own strips it sounds like a good deal.

I do love my aviva though

louiseb

catherine the test strips are £12.75 for 50 that seems very reasonable to me.
thanks funky mum for the link im definatly going tot get one of these meters for spares and the best bit is the price of test strips cheaper than ebay for the strips for my current meter.

ClaireG 06

That explains why my DSN is giving out these meters and wanted me to have one instead of prescribing me bayer contour strips! I'm still getting my contour strips for now but may well have to change.

C

catherinecherub

I think there is a post somewhere that some member was told by her DSN that this is what he/she would be have prescribed from now on as they are cheaper.

ebony321

Dislikes

catherinecherub said:
I think there is a post somewhere that some member was told by her DSN that this is what he/she would be have prescribed from now on as they are cheaper.

I believe that was one of ClaireG's posts, she was advised to swap as the strips are cheaper. :)

She's up there ^^^^ :)

ebony321

Dislikes

Oh and Funky mum, i'm sure many will be interested so when you have used it a few times, might be a good idea to do a little review for those who are interested :)

How much blood it uses, how easy is it to use, read etc :)

Funky Mum

ebony321 said:
Oh and Funky mum, i'm sure many will be interested so when you have used it a few times, might be a good idea to do a little review for those who are interested :)

How much blood it uses, how easy is it to use, read etc :)

Good idea!

Gratope

Dislikes
Snobs, PC brigade ( Stupid rules and regs )

:D Funky Mun/ebony321, I have seen it, thankyou both so much. So far I have applied for the breeze off the advert on this site, asked Llyods the chemist ( yes, but 3mths wait ! ) Mehdave has sent me a spare one he had, ( there really are good people around ) catherinecherub offered me one ages ago but then I was far to shy to ask for it.
I go for my REALLY long awaited 3rd educational visit to my Diabetic practice nurse, who I know has loads of monitors they " sometimes " give out. So I will badger for one of them. I will have one soon !! Thanks again everyone. :lol:

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin

I've said this a fair few times now - but if you write a nice letter to the manufacturers, or even an e-mail, they'll most likely send you a meter free of charge.

Just tell them that you've discussed it with your GP, and he's willing to change your prescription to match the strips for the meter that you are going after (even if you don't get strips on prescription - knowhatI'msayin'? Nudge nudge, :wink: :wink: ) .

I've done this for my 2 meters - one is a basic meter for quick readings, and one is a meter with bells n' whistles and all types of memory functions. They both use the same strips, so one prescription covers them both.

Gratope

Dislikes

Hi Patch, will do. I have also just applied for the caresens one Funky Mum mentioned. I should have a few soon. If so, I will keep them in thier packaging and send them to newbies or those having difficulty getting one. ( Thanks mehdave, you have started something ) Going for a long walk now. BFN. 8)

Gratope

Dislikes

:p Hi Mehdave, ITS ARRIVED !! Thankyou. Tried it just twice, got error 5 and error 2 messages. This is because I've never done it before no doubt. Thanks anyway.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)

Hi Gratope there is a knack to using a bg meter but you will soon get the hang of it. A few tips.

Wash hands in warm water before test.

Prick side of finger just away from the nail, not the pad or it might stop you typing a post to the forum :)

Gently squeeze finger tip to encourage a small blob of blood, just gently though, if not enough blood is there you may need to adjust the depth of your finger pricker.

Aim for a 'drop' not a smear.

Insert test strip in meter and when 'On' offer tip of strip to blood and let the strip absorb the blood up into test area, dont wipe the test strip onto the blood.

Make sure blood covers the whole of the test strip test area and you should get a good reading.

No more errors :D

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

My monitor arrived today - not had a proper look - the lancet looks a bit pants compared to my multiclix and the strips are very small - fiddly if you have trouble with your hands - but will be giving it a go over the weekend

kjt57

Followed link in first post to order, took me to sight ok, clicked on Diabetic would you like to order free meter, took me to contact us form. It will not allow me to select a topic so cannot send :(

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Do you mean the drop down box called enquiry type? - I've just tried it and it worked fine - may be give it another go

Funky Mum

kjt57 said:
Followed link in first post to order, took me to sight ok, clicked on Diabetic would you like to order free meter, took me to contact us form. It will not allow me to select a topic so cannot send :(

That's what I got I just said I was newly diagnosed and would love the opportunity to try one of their monitors.