Diabetics R Us

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I made a happy discovery tonight. I actually enjoyed cooking my supper. I'd found an online recipe for vegetables that you put in a zip-lock bag with olive oil and garlic powder and shake together, then saute. I usually hate standing at the stove because it hurts my back but tonight it didn't. I also had some chicken tenders in the oven. And the KittenCat sat nearby asking for some (which she got when it was done).

My mother was a very good cook (degree in Home Economics) and it's depressed me in recent years that I don't enjoy cooking for just myself. But I enjoyed it tonight, and the chicken and veg turned out nice and light and tender, so much like stir-fry that I got out the chopsticks.

I haven't done much cooking since I broke up with the horrid Liverpool fan, and for him it was more soup and chili than stir-fry and baked chicken.

Reactions: heh

heh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Evening all

Back from our weekend away. Fish & chips for tea on Friday - naughty me. Had quite a few drinkies. Slept a lot. Had a few good walks.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Have been out to local country pub for a birthday meal.
was going to have a carvery but threw caution to the wind and went for a bacon cheese burger in a brioche bun with chips peas and various other veg, was very nice washed down with half a lager and lime.
I then thought in for a penny in for a pound, and had a desert.

Copied from the menu as follows:

PASSION FRUIT
& PROSECCO
MERINGUE PIE
A sweet short crust pastry base filled
with a passion fruit & Prosecco flavour
curd filling and topped with hand
finished meringue. Served with passion
fruit coulis & vanilla ice cream.

Absolutely gorgeous.

tested when got home expecting a very high reading but was 6.7 miraculous.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I could just eat that prosecco and passion fruit meringue right now. In fact, if one were in front of me I certainly would be throwing caution to the wind, and it isn't my birthday. :)

heh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning all

Alan is in Metz (France) on a work jolly so I had complete control of the TV last night :D but I haven't heard from him since they were almost at Metz, probably enjoying himself too much :mad:

Have a good day.

H :)

Reactions: Antje77

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
It's blummin cold this morning. I made a cuppa and came back to bed. Maybe I should close the window?

Nah!

Good morning Duckies, have a great day.

Reactions: SaskiaKC and heh

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Happy with myself, made my T2 aunt a present for her 72nd birthday and mailed it. She's losing her vision (not diabetes related macula problems inherited from her mother) so instead of a postcard I chose to write big letters on white paper, which I'm almost sure she can still read :)
53023830_10217019196426441_6565618906558365696_n.jpg

53308942_10217019195466417_8089832431164588032_n.jpg

The text reads:
"Dear Charlotte,
Happy birthday! A box of SUPER TASTY DIABETES FRIENDLY CHOCOLATE TRUFFLES to celebrate.
(I hope you like dark chocolate, if not they are horrible)
Have fun, give Pablo a hug from me and watch out he doesn't steal any truffles. (Pablo is her dog)
Love, Antje.

Ingredients:
Chocolate, cream, butter, cocoa.
Carbs:
+/- 11gr/100gr = 1gr per truffle.
The whole box is the same amount of carbs as 1 slice of bread.

May contain traces of nuts and dog's hair."

I don't think she really counts carbs but she tries to keep an eye on them. She loves cakes and stuff though. Last 2 years were very hard for her, with breast cancer twice and a lung embolism, and the eyes that have forced her to stop driving and reading, and her diabetes has been pretty uncontrolled during that period. She's been on the mend for the last 6 months and going to the gym.
Her last hba1c came back as 47, which gave her confidence a big boost, very happy about that :)

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You deserve to be happy with yourself, @Antje77 . What a lovely present for your aunt! and what a nice note you wrote. Happy Birthday wishes to your aunt!

I think I may try your recipe (with cat hairs replacing the dog hairs. ;) )

I'm also happy with myself since I was able to read some of your note and recipe!

heh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Had my HbA1c results today - not great, gone from 47 last July to 54 :(. Will be reviewed again in 3 months time.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm going to get another dog. Facebook is dangerous if you shouldn't get more pets than you already have. She'll be here for a trial period first, as she needs a place to stay as of next saturday. I won't keep her if we do not fall in love. Her name is Naimah (definitely not my choice), she's 3 years old and I am so in trouble with my friends when they find out...
52825772_2193325890724029_3821623563102715904_n.jpg

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I'm going to get another dog. Facebook is dangerous if you shouldn't get more pets than you already have. She'll be here for a trial period first, as she needs a place to stay as of next saturday. I won't keep her if we do not fall in love. Her name is Naimah (definitely not my choice), she's 3 years old and I am so in trouble with my friends when they find out...
52825772_2193325890724029_3821623563102715904_n.jpg

Coincidently, my youngest XL son has finally convinced me that I am well enough and he and his XL brother are willing enough for us to adopt a dog. I have dithered on this for a good while, worried that I could not look after a pet or that when they (finally) leave home I would break my heart to see a pet leave with them.
Just one hurdle left, what breed to choose. Though I personally like mongrels cos they seem to be more robust than some of the thoroughbreds. My first choice would be a shepherd, youngest would like a husky (much too vocal!) and middle XL son 'says' he wants a dachshund !!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Coincidently, my youngest XL son has finally convinced me that I am well enough and he and his XL brother are willing enough for us to adopt a dog. I have dithered on this for a good while, worried that I could not look after a pet or that when they (finally) leave home I would break my heart to see a pet leave with them.
Just one hurdle left, what breed to choose. Though I personally like mongrels cos they seem to be more robust than some of the thoroughbreds. My first choice would be a shepherd, youngest would like a husky (much too vocal!) and middle XL son 'says' he wants a dachshund !!
That's wonderful! A dog is the best!
I'd look for one you fall in love with! If you have some mobility problems a smaller breed might be more practical. They won't pull as hard on the leash. I have 3, all of unknown breeds and all of them perfect! Have you and your sons thought about adopting a grown dog?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
We are off on a well needed mini break in the morning. 2 days and 1 night away. Dinner, bed and breakfast at the Royal in Kirkby Lonsdale (cumberland/Westmoreland/Lancashire border) It is a gorgeous little market town with hundreds of independent shops, cafes and so on, plus a weekly market on Thursdays. For some reason our booking was upgraded to a superior double including a 4 poster bed. It overlooks the market square so we will have a lovely view from our bedroom window. We are going to spend Thursday looking round there with a great river walk thrown in, and tomorrow we are heading to Heysham Head, Morecambe and Hest Bank. All places we love. Morecambe is horrid in the town, but the sea front and pedestrian promenade are glorious. We really need this.

heh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We are off on a well needed mini break in the morning. 2 days and 1 night away. Dinner, bed and breakfast at the Royal in Kirkby Lonsdale (cumberland/Westmoreland/Lancashire border) It is a gorgeous little market town with hundreds of independent shops, cafes and so on, plus a weekly market on Thursdays. For some reason our booking was upgraded to a superior double including a 4 poster bed. It overlooks the market square so we will have a lovely view from our bedroom window. We are going to spend Thursday looking round there with a great river walk thrown in, and tomorrow we are heading to Heysham Head, Morecambe and Hest Bank. All places we love. Morecambe is horrid in the town, but the sea front and pedestrian promenade are glorious. We really need this.
Have a wonderful time.