Prediabetes Testing New Foods

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Am currently working on a homemade muesli style breakfast.
BG Results after 2 hours seem good.
But still wondering, should the tests be 1 hour, 2 hour and 3 hour for a new food?
Or an increased quantity of that food?

Spl@

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Humans that only take.
Yes.

The results you get will only apply to you though. Test maybe from 30min. Even 15 and test way past. Maybe up to 6 hrs. Even longer.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Am currently working on a homemade muesli style breakfast.
BG Results after 2 hours seem good.
But still wondering, should the tests be 1 hour, 2 hour and 3 hour for a new food?
Or an increased quantity of that food?
Please let us know the outcome. I was looking through muesli yesterday in the supermarket and it was all high.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
When I was first testing all foods I tested a meal at 2 hours and if favourable I tested the same meal on three occasions before it was allowed on my 'safe' list. To be fare, I have not had muesli or any type of breakfast cereal since diagnosis except for Dietdoctors coconut (keto) porridge. If I should ever feel the need for muesli I would test at the 2, 4 and 6 hour mark depending on the sugar/carb values. I have to say though that I would think that the nutritional value from muesli would not be worth the extra test strips but I can be quite tight fisted at times.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Yes.

The results you get will only apply to you though. Test maybe from 30min. Even 15 and test way past. Maybe up to 6 hrs. Even longer.
When I was first testing all foods I tested a meal at 2 hours and if favourable I tested the same meal on three occasions before it was allowed on my 'safe' list. To be fare, I have not had muesli or any type of breakfast cereal since diagnosis except for Dietdoctors coconut (keto) porridge. If I should ever feel the need for muesli I would test at the 2, 4 and 6 hour mark depending on the sugar/carb values. I have to say though that I would think that the nutritional value from muesli would not be worth the extra test strips but I can be quite tight fisted at times.
Really need a no cook breakfast. Could be yoghurt and berries, quite happy with that, but can also use berries as a pudding, so trying to save them for that.
Using No Grain Granola from DietDoctor.com as a starting point.
So far have been combining with a low sugar (also lowest carb to be found, but not by much) muesli from Asda. Then decided might be better to incorporate oats rather than, actual muesli.
Tightfistedness is also a motivator, adding less expensive ingredients allows a larger portion, which also adds calories.

Last edited:

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You might like to give this LC chocolate granola recipe a try. I adapted it from trying various different recipes, taking my favourite bits from other recipes and then I added in the chopped 100% buttons. I was never much of a cereal person but needed to up my seed intake for fibre so I have a dessertspoonful with SF jelly and cream each day.

LOW CARB CHOC GRANOLA
Carbs per 50g portion 3.5g approx. (Not including anything added like yoghurt or cream)

Ingredients:
25g coconut oil melted
1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tbsp granulated sweetener of choice (I used Xylitol but note this is poisonous to pets)
1/2 tsp cinnamon
200 g unsweetened desiccated/shredded coconut
50 g pumpkin seeds
50 g sunflower seeds
100 g mixed nuts corsely chopped
50 g whole flaxseeds
10 Hotel Chocolate buttons corsely chopped

Instructions:
1. Melt the coconut oil in a glass bowl then stir the sweetener, cinnamon and cocoa powder into it.
2. In a large baking tray, mix all the seeds, nuts, coconut and chocolate pieces together.
3. Pour the chocolate coconut oil over the chocolate, coconut, seed and nut mix then stir well so all the granola is coated with the chocolate coconut oil.
4. Bake at 180C/ 350F/gas mark 6 for 24 minutes top oven, until crispy and brown. The mixture burns VERY easily, so set the timer and turn the mixture every 4 minutes.
5. Serve with Greek yoghurt and berries or with cream or sprinkle over SF jelly and cream or ice cream (Oppo of course ;))

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You might like to give this LC chocolate granola recipe a try. I adapted it from trying various different recipes, taking my favourite bits from other recipes and then I added in the chopped 100% buttons. I was never much of a cereal person but needed to up my seed intake for fibre so I have a dessertspoonful with SF jelly and cream each day.

LOW CARB CHOC GRANOLA
Carbs per 50g portion 3.5g approx. (Not including anything added like yoghurt or cream)

Ingredients:
25g coconut oil melted
1 tbsp granulated sweetener of choice (I used Xylitol but note this is poisonous to pets)
1/2 tsp cinnamon
50 g pumpkin seeds
50 g sunflower seeds
50 g whole flaxseeds

Instructions:
1. Melt the coconut oil in a glass bowl then stir the sweetener, cinnamon and cocoa powder into it.
2. In a large baking tray, mix all the seeds, nuts, coconut and chocolate pieces together.
3. Pour the chocolate coconut oil over the chocolate, coconut, seed and nut mix then stir well so all the granola is coated with the chocolate coconut oil.
4. Bake at 180C/ 350F/gas mark 6 for 24 minutes top oven, until crispy and brown. The mixture burns VERY easily, so set the timer and turn the mixture every 4 minutes.
5. Serve with Greek yoghurt and berries or with cream or sprinkle over SF jelly and cream or ice cream (Oppo of course ;))
Maybe you should market that, @Rachox

I would buy it. :)

Reactions: Chook

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes

LOW CARB CHOC GRANOLA

Ingredients:
25g coconut oil melted
1/2 tsp cinnamon
50 g pumpkin seeds
50 g sunflower seeds
50 g whole flaxseeds

Instructions:
thank you Rachox, i will compare the two recipes

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

LOW CARB CHOC GRANOLA

Ingredients:
25g coconut oil melted
1/2 tsp cinnamon
50 g pumpkin seeds
50 g sunflower seeds
50 g whole flaxseeds

Instructions:
I didn’t really get a chance to digest this last night but it has given me a source of inspiration.

Do you think it would hurt very much if a small quantity (only) of porridge oats were added as I have a lot to get rid of and don’t want to throw it out. :D

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I didn’t really get a chance to digest this last night but it has given me a source of inspiration.

Do you think it would hurt very much if a small quantity (only) of porridge oats were added as I have a lot to get rid of and don’t want to throw it out. :D

Now you know what I’m going to say don’t you?! Try some with before and after testing :)

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Now you know what I’m going to say don’t you?! Try some with before and after testing :)
I aim to do some serious testing when I get my Freestyle Libre. That’s the plan, anyway. I will be my own proverbial guinea pig.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Listlad , my suggestion to you would be to buy a meter and cheap strips and do the big testing, to find any blood glucose rocket fuel using that, and save the Libre for any finessing you may wish to to. For first testing, I think there could be a bit of data overkill in there, and this is coming from a serious Six Sigma, data geek.

You seem to want to seriously over-complicate things.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Listlad , my suggestion to you would be to buy a meter and cheap strips and do the big testing, to find any blood glucose rocket fuel using that, and save the Libre for any finessing you may wish to to. For first testing, I think there could be a bit of data overkill in there, and this is coming from a serious Six Sigma, data geek.

You seem to want to seriously over-complicate things.
Thankyou for your judgement.

I spent a lifetime monitoring and evaluating measurements and trends. In my game data is king as long as it is good data of course. Measurement devices, the setting up of, calibration of, interpretation of has all been part and parcel of that. I see the potential in the Libre. It is exactly what I want. Simple.

I am dissapointed that I have to justify my interest in the device.

Last edited:

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I spent a lifetime monitoring and evaluating measurements and trends. In my game data is king as long as it is good data of course. Measurement devices, the setting up of, calibration of, interpretation of has all been part and parcel of that. I see the potential in the Libre. It is exactly what I want. Simple.

It's your call as always, but not everyone, including myself, has a consistent experience with the Libre, and had I noit had an idea where my bloods might be expected to be, I would have been very confused.

Some people find the Libre aligns very nicely with their finger prick tests. Mine rarely do.

For example, the Libre consistently estimates my Aic to be between 19 and 21, whereas my labs are consistently about 10 above that.

As I say it's utterly your choice.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It's your call as always, but not everyone, including myself, has a consistent experience with the Libre, and had I noit had an idea where my bloods might be expected to be, I would have been very confused.

Some people find the Libre aligns very nicely with their finger prick tests. Mine rarely do.

For example, the Libre consistently estimates my Aic to be between 19 and 21, whereas my labs are consistently about 10 above that.

As I say it's utterly your choice.
I understand your point but I am aware of the shortcomings of both forms of measurement. I can see how they might well not align and this is something I have encountered over many years. Any non alignment will not phase me. I will be looking at trends, peaks and troughs and not necessarily absolute numbers per se. Responses to change etc etc. Again something I have done so many times over the years.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Please let us know the outcome. I was looking through muesli yesterday in the supermarket and it was all high.
Granola is supposed to be lower in carbs than muesli there is one called Rude Health at Sainsbury... I don't know if it is available in other supermarkets... and it is Coconut and Chia with spelt flakes instead of oats and no added sugar It is around 22g per serving so maybe still to high for the really low carbers

Reactions: Listlad

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Granola is supposed to be lower in carbs than muesli there is one called Rude Health at Sainsbury... I don't know if it is available in other supermarkets... and it is Coconut and Chia with spelt flakes instead of oats and no added sugar It is around 22g per serving so maybe still to high for the really low carbers
Thanks. I was out shopping with my little one and she was annoyingly riding the trolley while I was looking seriously :D through all of the muesli and couldn’t find anything particularly low. So this thread caught my attention.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

You certainly don't need to justify use of a sensor, but for some people it's too expensive for regular use, and has to be used sparingly. However it's quite possible to obtain masses of information from a decent meter. I used mine before the Libre became available,and it (with a little carby common sense thrown in) taught me most of what I've needed to know. So don't necessarily reject one out of hand. My meter provides me with various averages and trends over various periods, and I can upload he data to its software on my PC. It's also possible to export this data to other databases if required and I've done this with MySQL. So a Libre (being an expensive purchase on my pension ) has really been icing on my (low carb!!) cake. Both have consistently shown me very similar patterns, though my sensors have always read lower than my finger prick tests.

Robbity

Reactions: Listlad

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You certainly don't need to justify use of a sensor, but for some people it's too expensive for regular use, and has to be used sparingly. However it's quite possible to obtain masses of information from a decent meter. I used mine before the Libre became available,and it (with a little carby common sense thrown in) taught me most of what I've needed to know. So don't necessarily reject one out of hand. My meter provides me with various averages and trends over various periods, and I can upload he data to its software on my PC. It's also possible to export this data to other databases if required and I've done this with MySQL. So a Libre (being an expensive purchase on my pension ) has really been icing on my (low carb!!) cake. Both have consistently shown me very similar patterns, though my sensors have always read lower than my finger prick tests.

Robbity
I appreciate your post there. Thanks. Yes the expense is the drawback. But I notice you have bought one all the same. I too will raid the piggy bank to make the purchase. :)

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I appreciate your post there. Thanks. Yes the expense is the drawback. But I notice you have bought one all the same. I too will raid the piggy bank to make the purchase. :)
Yes but as an (occasional) adjunct to my meter not a replacement for it.