What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all hectic day for me but lovely sunshine again
Brunch bacon, egg and one lc seeded crispbread
Dinner handful of nuts while cooking, beef curry and six lc seeded crispbreads followed by chocolate chia pudding with double cream and 2 100% choc buttons with my decaf coffee.
Up to mums in York’s first thing tomorrow hope everyone has good evening I’ve got some packing to sort when tidied up the pots.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all.

Lovely sunshine here today too - shorts made another appearance for a stunning canal walk which coupled with 8am footie practice has left me struggling to keep my eyes open at 7pm!

OMAD (well almost) day today. Dessert just happened to be 2 hours before the main course. That was the 3 remaining pieces of cream cheese brownies with extra thick Jersey cream. Main course was a deliciously fatty giant piece of beef short rib.

@shelley262 have a safe trip to your mum’s.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I can see either working. A creamy cauliflower cheese centre surrounded by a spicy sausagemeat and I'd use my sesame crumb mix. Other option I'd go small with soft boiled quail egg sealed again in cauliflower cheese and the same crumb.
I'm in the process of ordering more things for the mystical cupboard to make low carb tempura batter. If it works it will be well used as I love tempura veg and I already know how to do low carb sweet chilli dip.

Quail eggs - way to go.
Sesame crumb and low carb sweet chilli dip - spill the beans, or not.
Low carb tempura batter - let us know how that works.

Emma_369

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening everyone
Breakfast - usual peanut & chocolate protein bar with a coffee
Lunch - 4 olde English pork sausages and 1 poached egg
Dinner - pre marinated Cajun chicken (2.7g carb for the 1/2 pack I used) in the wok with a red pepper, mushrooms and handful of halved cherry tomatoes. Then put in a bowl, sprinkled with loads of mature cheese and whacked under the grill to melt

My recipe of the week this week is https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/low-carb-chocolate-cake/servings/3
I wouldn’t say it’d impress Mary Berry but fancied a go at an easy cake. When doing the ingredients for 3 it didnt look enough mix to put in a proper cake tin so instead made 6 little cakes

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Funny old day. Had a bit of work to do on a motorcycle that I want to sell and a marvelous walk along the coast in glorious sunshine.
Made a huge batch of my meat stuff for the week. Basically, if you have had tafelspit - a 6 hour slow cooker of cheap beef. I then reduce the gravy down, chop it all up and mix it with crispy bacon and chopped up liver.

Anyhow, today.
Breakfast; a glass of my tumeric and chaga tea.
Lunch; three gem lettuce leaves somothered in cream cheese and topped with half an avocado, tomato, cucumber, chia and seasoning. Glass of Pecorino as it’s Saturday.
Dinner; goulash made from my meat stuff with a bit of courgette, cauliflower and a mushroom. A glass of merlot - another in a while and a square of home made dark chocolate.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening everyone. Breakfast was tea and mid morning was cocoa. Lunch was mackerel and avocado salad with the usual heaped teaspoon PHP and lots of chia seeds sprinkled for topping as usual - plenty of ACV and EVO - lots of celery and 1/2 fennel bulb for crunch. Evening meal was roast veggies - 1/2 fennel, smoked garlic, cherry tomatoes 1/2 red pepper, mushrooms and the only good game of the day, pheasant.
When you watch your football and rugby teams collapse like a pack of cards highlights are nearly impossible. Nice fine pile of ash from yesterday's bonfire and good chat with farmer while walking dogs will have to do.:arghh::arghh:

Last edited:

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Quail eggs - way to go.
Sesame crumb and low carb sweet chilli dip - spill the beans, or not.
Low carb tempura batter - let us know how that works.
Low Carb sweet chilli sauce - 1/2 cup rice wine vinegar, 1/4 cup water, 1/4 cup Lakanto Golden Monkfruit sweetener (or sub another sweetener but you may have to adjust the amount), 3 teaspoons or so red chilli flakes (adjust to suit the heat you want), 1 teaspoon xanthan gum.

Easy to make - put everything except the xanthan gum in a pot and bring to the boil while stirring. Slow boil for about 5 mins to reduce the water a bit. Turn off the heat and slowly add the xanthan gum bit by bit stirring all the time. Once it thickens remove from the cooker and decant into another container to cool. It keeps well in the fridge. 1g carbs per tablespoon.

Sesame crumb. I have a few variations on this depending on what I'm doing. Trouble is I do it by sight but I'll guess at it. I'd say it's 1 cup almond flour , 1/2 cup parmesan, 1/2 cup golden milled flaxseed and 2 tablespoons sesame seeds. Season with ground salt and pepper. This is the base. Things I add to it are lemon rind and chopped flatleaf parsley - goes well with fish and chicken. Paprika is another favourite for me to add - sometimes sweet sometimes hot. I've also added curry powder. This too keeps well in the fridge although I'd store without parsley or lemon rind. All kinds of seasoning works with the base. It gives you a really crisp crumb. This is the crumb I use on my fish with the DD curry tartare sauce and on that battered out chicken dish if I decide to crumb it.
Now that I have bamboo fibre I "flour" the protein first, then egg dip, then crumb and get it into the fridge for a wee while for it to really stick. I find one crumb dip is enough.

Reactions: ziggy_w

BibaBee

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Beautiful day here - feels more like April than February.

My dodgy tummy survived last night's dinner so I think the problem was caused by the Metformin.

Today...

Breakfast: Bacon and eggs

Lunch: an 89p smoked salmon and cream cheese roule cheese from Aldi which I ate from the container with a teaspoon. I live the high life!!! It was absolutely delicious and I will definitely get it again

Dinner: Guests will be back from their sight seeing but not sure of the exact time so it will be an almost instant dinner of raw jumbo king prawns fried in butter, lemon zest and a touch of chilli on a bed of mixed leaves followed by lots of steaming hot mussels in a garlicky white wine broth with crusty bread for those who eat it

Dessert: The guests are supplying the dessert from Bettys at Harrogate - I doubt there is anything I can eat from there so I've got some fresh raspberries.

Drinks: Black decaff coffee, water, red wine
Your dinner sounds delicious! Very lucky guests! :hungry:

Reactions: zauberflote

BibaBee

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Lovely day today, starting with a walk to our next village. The weather was glorious and only a cardigan was needed, no coat in February! We had brunch a favourite café and then headed of to the garden centre (again) to enable Mr B's new houseplant addiction! Hope everyone who could got out to enjoy the sunshine today and it lifted the spirits. Sorry @Rachox if you're still confined to indoors. :(

Anyway, today's menu looked like this:
Breakfast: Coffee and cream
Brunch: Smoked salmon with scrambled egg, mushrooms and spinach. I'm afraid I gave into the English muffin :banghead:. Mr B had a full English minus the carbs (bacon, sausage, black pudding, egg, mushrooms, grilled tomato). Large americano
Afternoon: Second americano with a splash of hot milk
Dinner: Huge fridge clear out salad. Sliced cold sausage, cooked chicken breast, chunks of mature Gouda, cucumber, avocado, silverskin pickled onions, capers, mixed salad leads, mixed seeds, avocado oil, ACV and Dijon mustard vinaigrette. SF Jelly with cream. Decaf coffee with tiny splash of cream.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
yesterday
22/02
Going back to old habits. Exercise first, then shower. Breakfast after that
XBX level 16
8.05am BG 5.8
8.28am BG 5.1
tea
20g no grain granola, half portion because mixing it with
20g Multigrain Low Sugar, nutty granola from Asda.
This is the only granola i have found with no added fruit. Although the nut content is nothing to shout about.
40ml semi skimmed milk.
not time for second tea, off to parents house.
had to use subterfuge to make the two hours, felt bad throwing coffee down the sink .
10.31am BG 5.4
meant to test again at 11.30 but missed it.
lovely sunny day, Salad for lunch about 13.00
lettuce, tomato, cu, spring onion, celery, coleslaw, tsp olive oil, glass of water
Emmental cheese, chicken and bacon pate. tea
18.30 Dinner: sprouts, cauliflower, broccoli,
homemade cottage pie with low(er) carb topping, had small second helping
homemade gluten free, reduced carb pudding. This was an experiment. Based on the filling for bakewell tart, fresh raspberries in the bottom, topping made from: butter, ground almonds, egg, splenda sweetener and coconut flour. Served with raspberry pavlova icecream. (was actually the lowest carbs by far) pudding tasted ok, everyone ate it, both grandaughters asked for seconds - and I remembered too late the cream for me. Unable to estimate cals/carbs for pudding, too much like hard work.
Had glass of wine in the evening, but wasn't enjoying it, left half.
Blueberry and almond sponge, thats near enough, add to meals for day. Yippee am over calories. but oh dear, 146g carbs.

Edited to add
Of course their almond sponge will have wheat flour, decided not to worry about it.

Last edited:

BibaBee

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Low Carb sweet chilli sauce - 1/2 cup rice wine vinegar, 1/4 cup water, 1/4 cup Lakanto Golden Monkfruit sweetener (or sub another sweetener but you may have to adjust the amount), 3 teaspoons or so red chilli flakes (adjust to suit the heat you want), 1 teaspoon xanthan gum.

Easy to make - put everything except the xanthan gum in a pot and bring to the boil while stirring. Slow boil for about 5 mins to reduce the water a bit. Turn off the heat and slowly add the xanthan gum bit by bit stirring all the time. Once it thickens remove from the cooker and decant into another container to cool. It keeps well in the fridge. 1g carbs per tablespoon.

Sesame crumb. I have a few variations on this depending on what I'm doing. Trouble is I do it by sight but I'll guess at it. I'd say it's 1 cup almond flour , 1/2 cup parmesan, 1/2 cup golden milled flaxseed and 2 tablespoons sesame seeds. Season with ground salt and pepper. This is the base. Things I add to it are lemon rind and chopped flatleaf parsley - goes well with fish and chicken. Paprika is another favourite for me to add - sometimes sweet sometimes hot. I've also added curry powder. This too keeps well in the fridge although I'd store without parsley or lemon rind. All kinds of seasoning works with the base. It gives you a really crisp crumb. This is the crumb I use on my fish with the DD curry tartare sauce and on that battered out chicken dish if I decide to crumb it.
Now that I have bamboo fibre I "flour" the protein first, then egg dip, then crumb and get it into the fridge for a wee while for it to really stick. I find one crumb dip is enough.
Loving the sound of the sweet chilli sauce! I definitely think I'll give it a go.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: fry up of bacon, egg, mushrooms and two cherry tomatoes followed by Greek yoghurt and raspberries.
Mid afternoon: white chocolate phd bar and black coffee.
Dinner: takeaway, crispy duck with veggies, just two small pancakes a smidge of sauce and veggies followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Loving the sound of the sweet chilli sauce! I definitely think I'll give it a go.

if you are anywhere near an Asda they sell a low carb dipping sauce from Blend Bros which is really delicious for a ready made sauce. I like it on roast pork belly.

Reactions: maglil55
D

Deleted member 308541

Lunch yesterday: A counter meal at the bowls club, a cooked seafood basket which was a bit light on for the price.
Dinner: Pork chops and veggies.
Breakfast today, usual full monty omelette, bacon, tomato. Ten assorted tablets of various colours, shapes and sizes washed down with coffee.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
23/02
XBX level 16
8.32am BG 5.4
tea
Breakfast: 20g no grain granola
30g multigrain low sugar granola
50ml milk
no time for second cup of tea, off to parents house.
Tried to make the two hours again, but this time was impossible.
10am coffee with milk
10.30am BG 6.2. meant to take again in an hour, but didnt work out.
13.00 really hungry. Is this the carb effect? Large slice of ham to keep me going while preparing lunch.
This is where I really miss sandwiches. That single slice of ham would previously have fed us both, with bread and salad. Clearing up would have been a chopping board, couple of knives and a plate each.
Now 400g mushrooms, 4 large eggs, 80g frozen spinach for me, slice of toast for him. tea
Washing up? Its a bowlful.
Checked the calories, added 30g emmental. and about to walk to town, one of those delicious salted caramel florentines. Phew, am stuffed, need to walk some off.
18.46pm BG 5.9
Dinner, 3 toulouse sausages, celariac mash, (more about that some other time) swede and carrot mash, kale, approx 60g freshly cooked mashed potatoes, onion gravy. Berries 80g and cream. Have moved onto the heavy stuff, Double cream now and an unintentionally larger portion 50ml
Really full.
20.05pm 20 mins late for two hours BG 6.5.
22.02 BG 6.0

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Thank you @maglil55, will have to source some bamboo fibre and give this a go.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bed 5 FBG 5.1. Highest today was 6.2 but I've spent a lot of time in the 4's so touch wood I hope the bug has finally left my system. Continued with the great clean up since shopping was done yesterday.
B. Tassimo Americano grande with a dash of cream. Couldn't be bothered cooking so skipped breakfast.
L. Nothing - until very late on 4.30pm to be exact. Mainly because I felt unwell so had the children eggs again and a thin slice of Dr Almond bread toasted.
D. Had to delay it as I wasnt that hungry. Small slice each of roast pork, chicken, ox tongue, corned beef, boiled egg and a few veggie chips. Binned a bit of it. Nothing wrong - just not that hungry. Later again , last of the halo top with raspberries.
Swimming lessons start again tomorrow for the boys.