Meaning of carbohydrate "of which sugars"

slikwipman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Intolerance
LOL people in my part of the US don't like to be called yanks. Those are from up North. This is the South. ;)

The city in Missouri is pronounced as if spelled St Lewis, but maybe the cathedral in New Orleans is pronounced in the French way.

But then you've got to figure in the fact that people in Missouri don't all pronounce their state's name the same way, just like the people of New Orleans and elsewhere in Louisiana. :)

Apologies for the Yank description but I am a northern monkey

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
BTW, don't tell anyone* but I bought some "Dutch Rusks" (what it said on the package) the other day. Lovely crunchy rounds of toast, perfect with peanut butter and coffee. The package says "Product of Holland." I know there's a difference, but which is "correct"? Holland, or the Netherlands? Or is it anything like "US" and "America"?
I had to google but I now know that rusk is beschuit. They are very good with butter and mature cheese. Or with strawberries!
In the early days of the Netherlands it consisted of 7 provinces (still part of our politics are organised by the, by now, 12 provinces.), led by some duke or other overlord. They came together for decisions that concerned all provinces as the Republic of the 7 United Netherlands.
The province where everything happened, and where the bigger, richer cities were (thanks to the VOC and WIC with their trade in the East- and West-Indies during the 1700's or 'Golden Century') was the province of Holland, which is by now devided in North-Holland and South-Holland. We have our capital, Amsterdam, in North-Holland and our Government in The Hague, in South-Holland. Both Hollands have a lot of cities and it's where everything happens.
Ask someone from those provinces if they are fine with the name Holland for their country, and they probably are.
Then there are the more rural provinces and you might get a different answer. There is often a feeling that 'those city people from Holland haven't a clue about a big part of their country.

So go with The Netherlands and you're always safe!

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks, @Antje77 .

Now I'm wondering if William of Orange was one of those dukes. :)

And I must correct my "Dutch Rusks" because I got that wrong. It actually says "Holland Rusk." "Product of Holland." Delicious with peanut butter and I imagine it would also be good with melted butter too.

Reactions: Antje77

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Now I'm wondering if William of Orange was one of those dukes. :)
Kind of. I skipped a couple of details, so by the time we got to Willem van Oranje we went with 'stadhouders' instead of dukes. And yes, he was a stadhouder.

Reactions: slikwipman

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Cool! Thanks. This is the first time I've ever seen his name in its original form.

I know that sounds really naive. But it's nice to see nonetheless.

Groundgripper

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Busy towns and cities, heavy traffic, noisy people, rubbishy televison or radio shows, rap music.
LOL people in my part of the US don't like to be called yanks. Those are from up North. This is the South. ;)

The city in Missouri is pronounced as if spelled St Lewis, but maybe the cathedral in New Orleans is pronounced in the French way.

But then you've got to figure in the fact that people in Missouri don't all pronounce their state's name the same way, just like the people of New Orleans and elsewhere in Louisiana. :)
You are a Southern Bell, Ma`am, we have very dear family friends in Georgia, and they are the most delightful people, Southerners are Jes` So warm and welcomin`, and I do so miss fresh baked Biscuit with Bacon and maple syrup.:)

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You are a Southern Bell, Ma`am, we have very dear family friends in Georgia, and they are the most delightful people, Southerners are Jes` So warm and welcomin`, and I do so miss fresh baked Biscuit with Bacon and maple syrup.:)

goodpost.gif

Jomary

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Don’t complicate life look at carb content at 100 ml. If sugar content is below 12 then it’s fine, anything above that no no.been type 2 for 12 years last two on one metformin will be 76 next week, it works for me

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I just tried something called a toaster biscuit for breakfast this morning. It came frozen in a box of 8. Surprisingly light and tasty for a frozen biscuit.

9g fat (6g saturated)
0 cholesterol
440mg sodium :(
18g carbs
0 fiber
1g sugar
3g protein

Not great but better numbers than other frozen biscuits at this store. I added some cheese and nuked it for a few seconds. I am experimenting with breakfast foods as having lowered my BG from 7.5 to 5.something since diagnosis last spring, the fats I was eating to replace carbs apparently raised my LDL cholesterol.

I wish there were a cholesterol meter I could get to test each morning when I test FBG. Seems the best things to eat are fish and nuts. I bet bears and squirrels have very healthy numbers when they see their GPs!

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Don’t complicate life look at carb content at 100 ml. If sugar content is below 12 then it’s fine, anything above that no no.been type 2 for 12 years last two on one metformin will be 76 next week, it works for me
This is a confusing post. You start with “look at carbs” then switch to sugars less than 12. Carbs overall are MORE important than just sugars. And unless it’s a very small portion 12% is a lot for me.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I just tried something called a toaster biscuit for breakfast this morning. It came frozen in a box of 8. Surprisingly light and tasty for a frozen biscuit.

9g fat (6g saturated)
0 cholesterol
440mg sodium :(
18g carbs
0 fiber
1g sugar
3g protein

Not great but better numbers than other frozen biscuits at this store. I added some cheese and nuked it for a few seconds. I am experimenting with breakfast foods as having lowered my BG from 7.5 to 5.something since diagnosis last spring, the fats I was eating to replace carbs apparently raised my LDL cholesterol.

I wish there were a cholesterol meter I could get to test each morning when I test FBG. Seems the best things to eat are fish and nuts. I bet bears and squirrels have very healthy numbers when they see their GPs!

Were you still losing weight when the cholesterol was checked last? A short term rise isn’t unusual but it mostly settles once weightloss settles and usually is lower.

greenhowt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I read a thread about the meaning of "of which sugars", but I still don't quite understand.

Let me just ask a simple question.

If a product has 32% carbohydrate, and 47% of which sugars.... what does this mean?

Are the sugars an extra category of carbohydrate, or are they just a subset of the overall carbohydrates?

If I had 32% carbohydrates and 47% of which sugars, would the total carbohydrates be 32% or would they be (32% + 47%) = 79%?
The NHS training course 'Desmond' for diabetes advise that the 'of which sugars' value is pretty much irrelevant, it is the total carb value to be concerned with. If your on the low carb diet then the lower the better, however there is often a trade off, lower carb often means high 'fat' content

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
The NHS training course 'Desmond' for diabetes advise that the 'of which sugars' value is pretty much irrelevant, it is the total carb value to be concerned with. If your on the low carb diet then the lower the better, however there is often a trade off, lower carb often means high 'fat' content

Nowt wrong with fat as long as it is a healthy fat as opposed to seed oil.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Oh, dear, look out for what you will read about Desmond from other people here! It is NOT well thought of here.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Were you still losing weight when the cholesterol was checked last? A short term rise isn’t unusual but it mostly settles once weightloss settles and usually is lower.

Thanks for posting that. That is good to hear. I wasn't still losing weight like I had been last summer. I lost 25 pounds then; can't seem to lose any more, been stuck at this weight for months now. :(