Planning a fast why not get some support and record your achievements?

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
@Pipp I'm in the same boat as you with similar numbers for my fasting blood glucose and non existent weight loss. :grumpy:

Last week I experimented with a four day fast - my first extended fast - and lost 6lbs (the first I've managed to lose since last September/October) and my FBG has come down in to the 5s. I *think* I experienced Autophagy as my arthritic knees have been much less painful and some patches of psoriasis I have are a lot less inflamed and itchy.

Any of these would be enough to encourage me to fast again but to have all of them happen is really wonderful.

The best bit of all.... it was free. In fact, better than free, I saved money on food. :)

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@Pipp
For me it will be for
  1. a bit more weight loss.. (still aiming for sub 200 pounds.. never managed it) I'm still "overweight"
  2. better blood sugar control (although since changing to a Tee2 meter that seems to be ok)
  3. possibly for some autophagy to tighten up some loose skin that I still have

I didn't know Autophagy tightens up loose skin - excellent!

Reactions: jpscloud

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I didn't know Autophagy tightens up loose skin - excellent!
Its meant to recycle the cells that are on their way out and less loose skin is alleged to be one benefit.. I'm pretty sure that my IF regime has meant that I have a lot less loose skin than someone who has lost through calorie reduction but I do still have a bit. Dr Fung always says that none of his fasting patients has ever had any skin reduction surgery post weight loss so I guess it must do something!

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks, @bulkbiker and @Chook
I wasn’t aware that autophagy helped tighten loose skin after weight loss, either.
I have been using one meal a day method for last two months, and 24 hour fasts, and did, last summer, do a 56 hour fast, which resulted in 6lbs loss. I always seem to default back to a higher weight after a week or so.
Was just wondering about reasons for long fasts for those who have achieved weight and blood glucose goals? Also to give some insight for those who do not know about benefits of fasting.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@Pipp my reasons are autophagy and a hope that it may reset my cholesterol especially my ldl to a bit nearer to normal range! Its my one indicator that I’d love to bring down just a bit. Not sure if it will have this result but saw an article by dr j fung on this topic

https://idmprogram.com/fasting-lowers-cholesterol-fasting-16/

A bit more skin tightening would be good as ive found fasting does help with this too.
Also feel a personal urge to see if can go beyond 23 hours as I never have! Several articles I have read on autophagy indicate it kicks in more at 30 hours so would like to see.
I’m sure everyone will have own reasons. I’m only nervous re weight loss but think it should adjust again after a few days of normal eating.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
BRC??? It's got a to be something or other coffee....?

I haven't had coffee with caffeine in it for many years but I'm thinking of buying some in time for my next fast. Just for that first mug in the morning.

"but I can restrict myself to a bullet resistant coffee" from my post.

Bullet Resistant Coffee (my term) is bulletproof coffee without the coconut oil.
Bullet Proof Coffee (ignoring all the hipster variants with "magic" ingredients) is a cup of strong coffee with added butter, coconut oil, and double cream. Depending on how much you add and how hot you like it you may need to whisk it then reheat.

I just make a cup of strong coffee, add a heaped teaspoon of butter, wait for it to melt. then top up with a generous slug of double cream. The resulting temperature is just right for me but I have a sensitive mouth.

This can keep me going until mid afternoon which works well with One Meal A Day (OMAD) as a meal then will keep me satiated through the evening.

I am considering the fast because my weight has drifted up due to pure self indulgence.
I peaked at 176.8 lbs about a week ago but 3 days of no beer (my perennial downfall) and one or two small meals a day has brought me down to 172 lbs this morning. However that is the "easy 4 lbs" that nearly everyone can lose quickly with a bit of calorie restriction; burning off your emergency glycogen store. After that you need to start burning off some fat and that is much harder. I need to get down to 168 lbs to motivate myself to go lower.

Ever distant target is 161 lbs or 11 stone 7 lbs which was my late teenage weight.

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
;
@Pipp I'm in the same boat as you with similar numbers for my fasting blood glucose and non existent weight loss. :grumpy:

Last week I experimented with a four day fast - my first extended fast - and lost 6lbs (the first I've managed to lose since last September/October) and my FBG has come down in to the 5s. I *think* I experienced Autophagy as my arthritic knees have been much less painful and some patches of psoriasis I have are a lot less inflamed and itchy.

Any of these would be enough to encourage me to fast again but to have all of them happen is really wonderful.

The best bit of all.... it was free. In fact, better than free, I saved money on food. :)

Chook, I've been doing 16:8, 24 hours/OMAD and a 3 day fast, and keep buying food as though I'm eating at my old rate! My freezer is now bursting at the seams and the cupboard is FULL! I must NOT buy more food (except fresh veg/cream) for a few weeks, especially as I intend to carry on with intermittent fasting and some extended fasts.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ok, I am seriously considering extending my fasting, Tuesday through to Thursday, or maybe beyond. In a show of unity.

Will be using water, black coffee, peppermint tea, and if I feel I need it, beef bone broth.
I tend not to use cream, but if I don’t see lowering of fasting level will have a teaspoonful in morning coffee.

Think it would be useful if we also recorded what happens in the week or two after? I seem to find at least half the weight lost finds me again.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@jpscloud

Old habits die hard. I've got freezers full too. It's one of life's mysteries how they keep filling up. ;)

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
"but I can restrict myself to a bullet resistant coffee" from my post.

Bullet Resistant Coffee (my term) is bulletproof coffee without the coconut oil.
Bullet Proof Coffee (ignoring all the hipster variants with "magic" ingredients) is a cup of strong coffee with added butter, coconut oil, and double cream. Depending on how much you add and how hot you like it you may need to whisk it then reheat.

I just make a cup of strong coffee, add a heaped teaspoon of butter, wait for it to melt. then top up with a generous slug of double cream. The resulting temperature is just right for me but I have a sensitive mouth.

This can keep me going until mid afternoon which works well with One Meal A Day (OMAD) as a meal then will keep me satiated through the evening.

I am considering the fast because my weight has drifted up due to pure self indulgence.
I peaked at 176.8 lbs about a week ago but 3 days of no beer (my perennial downfall) and one or two small meals a day has brought me down to 172 lbs this morning. However that is the "easy 4 lbs" that nearly everyone can lose quickly with a bit of calorie restriction; burning off your emergency glycogen store. After that you need to start burning off some fat and that is much harder. I need to get down to 168 lbs to motivate myself to go lower.

Ever distant target is 161 lbs or 11 stone 7 lbs which was my late teenage weight.

Ah, I'd not heard it called BRC before. When I make it I use coconut oil and butter and an immersion blender because I really don't like cream in coffee - I know I'm the odd one out because everyone I know lives it.

I fasted just having black decaff, water and herbal teas.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok, I am seriously considering extending my fasting, Tuesday through to Thursday, or maybe beyond. In a show of unity.

Will be using water, black coffee, peppermint tea, and if I feel I need it, beef bone broth.
I tend not to use cream, but if I don’t see lowering of fasting level will have a teaspoonful in morning coffee.

Think it would be useful if we also recorded what happens in the week or two after? I seem to find at least half the weight lost finds me again.
Will be great to have you with us if you go ahead.
Good idea to record results not just after the fast but as you say in week or two afterwards. I’m also due an nhs cholesterol test in about three weeks so that will be interesting for me! I’d like to make sure too that any weight I lose readjusts to my maintenance range if the fast drops my weight below where I’m comfortable. I’ve now maintained within a few pounds parameters for the past 6 months or so so my body may want to get back or stay there anyway will see

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ah, I'd not heard it called BRC before. When I make it I use coconut oil and butter and an immersion blender because I really don't like cream in coffee - I know I'm the odd one out because everyone I know lives it.

I fasted just having black decaff, water and herbal teas.
No, I can’t cope with that much fat in one serving. I am envious of those who can, because butter and coconut oil in coffee is delicious, but I just have to stick with a teaspoon of cream.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A bit late to the party but @Pipp my reasons for the fast are similar to the others:

- struggling to remove last bits of fat from torso (waist could also do with being smaller)
- authophagy to tighten loose skin

Would be great to have you join us.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
So, basically, we all want to stop being wobbly. ;):facepalm: Definitely a very good reason as far as i am concerned.

I finished my four day fast mid afternoon on Thursday and my BGs are still behaving themselves today - although my FBG was up a little bit on yesterday's. I was still 4.3 before dinner. I'm looking forward to finding out what differences my next fast will make.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Due to unexpectedly good weather we might be having friends round to BBQ on Tuesday.
In which case I will Start Wednesday morning and finish Friday evening.
Already on OMAD and losing weight and looking forward to the extra boost.

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Count me in @shelley262. I do IF but never 48 hours. Just a bit concerned at weight loss. Can afford to lose a couple of pounds but no more. Are diet soft drinks allowed as a don’t drink coffee? Thanks

lessci

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not a true fast, but planning to go 800 Calories for lent, with a mix of "real food" and protein shakes for convenience, with 2 "cheat" days as I've committed to a birthday & a retirement party (but they will be VLC meals)

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Count me in @shelley262. I do IF but never 48 hours. Just a bit concerned at weight loss. Can afford to lose a couple of pounds but no more. Are diet soft drinks allowed as a don’t drink coffee? Thanks
Wonderful sorry for delay replying but up with mum in York’s and was at hospital all day. Going back home tomorrow
I’m with you on avoiding weight loss but I’m hoping that any I lose will gravitate back bit of an experiment!
Re diet soft drinks would imagine its personal choice think only thing I’d be aware of is I may have read something that diet soft drinks can cause an insulin response? Not sure may not be right at all - maybe someone else may know @Goonergal ? @bulkbiker ? I don’t drink diet drinks but do know point of fasting is to get rid of insulin response to allow autophagy and think a bit of cream dosent cause this??
Does anyone have more knowledge about this topic?
I’m eating Tuesday but not sure yet if last meal will be lunch or dinner will see how it goes. I will post my bgs weight ketone etc at the start ie either tomorrow pm or first thing Wednesday and then as go along. I’ll finish either lunch or dinner time Thursday
See how you feel as to best thing for you.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wonderful sorry for delay replying but up with mum in York’s and was at hospital all day. Going back home tomorrow
I’m with you on avoiding weight loss but I’m hoping that any I lose will gravitate back bit of an experiment!
Re diet soft drinks would imagine its personal choice think only thing I’d be aware of is I may have read something that diet soft drinks can cause an insulin response? Not sure may not be right at all - maybe someone else may know @Goonergal ? @bulkbiker ? I don’t drink diet drinks but do know point of fasting is to get rid of insulin response to allow autophagy and think a bit of cream dosent cause this??
Does anyone have more knowledge about this topic?
I’m eating Tuesday but not sure yet if last meal will be lunch or dinner will see how it goes. I will post my bgs weight ketone etc at the start ie either tomorrow pm or first thing Wednesday and then as go along. I’ll finish either lunch or dinner time Thursday
See how you feel as to best thing for you.
I'm guessing it will be individual @Flora123 personally I don't have them but if it helps you to keep going then why not. tea with cream works for me too... just a thought.

Reactions: Flora123