Type 2 LCHF and conventions

Caeseji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self-fellating idiots that don't at all look at other people's views
Just full of questions at the mo but wanted to ask for advice. This year and perhaps many years after I am looking to go to the London MCM expo for the comic con there in the Excel Center. One thing I almost worried about is keeping to LCHF whilst there, what could you advise to do with that? I was thinking of keeping to stuff I know like steak and so on if I eat out and breakfast food but should I prep things to take with me too?

Thanks in advance!

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just full of questions at the mo but wanted to ask for advice. This year and perhaps many years after I am looking to go to the London MCM expo for the comic con there in the Excel Center. One thing I almost worried about is keeping to LCHF whilst there, what could you advise to do with that? I was thinking of keeping to stuff I know like steak and so on if I eat out and breakfast food but should I prep things to take with me too?

Thanks in advance!
When away or eating out I ask for salad or extra veg instead of the carb stuff. I will have coffee and cream instead of desert (no hardship because I absolutely love coffee). I do take 85% chocolate with me but rarely need it because the portion sizes of of steak, chicken, pork, lamb or fish are usually huge.

Also - if I am staying at a hotel the cooked breakfast option is very filling and delicious. For me - 2 meals a day is absolutely enough. If everyone else is going for 3 meals a day I would have coffee and cream instead of eating again and maybe - rarely - a piece of 85%.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We do the smaller comic cons with my son - not something I'm into but I really enjoy the days - hubby and son big Whovians - steak and salad is good or carvery without potatoes Yorkshires etc, also breakfast of bacon, eggs, mushrooms great - just watch the sausage as they are often the more carby ones.

As to the day itself I find if there is food on offer it's usually a carb fest so I take my own little box with boiled eggs, cheese, some meat like chicken legs or ham and a bit of salad. I always take more than I think I might need so I don't run out and get hungry and be tempted by the stuff on offer. I also always have a bit of 80% chocolate in my bag for those sweet hit emergencies

Have fun day! :)

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Thanks in advance!
I was down in London this last week for 4 nights. I had the cooked breakfast option each morning and piled that in. The rest of the day was more of a challenge. There was a supermarket nearby where I bought things like boiled eggs, pre cooked or pre grilled chicken, cheese etc The meal in the hotel in the evening was a bit of a minefield.

I did find I ate less but that’s probably no bad thing.

Reactions: ringi

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I find supermarkets with hot meat counters really useful. I go off to a week long folk festival each year and call into the Tesco supermarket for supplies in the early evening - there is a handy shop a couple of doors away where I can buy a couple of eggs and breakfast stuff, which I can cook for myself but I find myself giving away the remains of my dinners to the less well prepared visitors with wailing offspring who expect 24 hour shopping and do not find it.
I get bags of salad, coleslaw, tomatoes, celery, radishes, sweet peppers, and have chicken several times, or corned beef, cheese, ham - whatever I fancy and eat in the park. Washing up does consist of some kitchen towel, antiseptic hand wipes and another wipe around - I have never been ill yet so it must work well enough.

Dexterdobe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Being unwell and seeing BG levels soar

Thanks in advance!
I agree with the other posts. Try to avoid the convenience stores and fast food outlets. They sell nothing but carbs. I went into a petrol filling station the other day and there was nothing low carb for sale in the whole shop. Not a thing. There wasn't even a brown bread sandwich or packet of nuts to be had. I always carry an emergency pack with cheese and hard boiled eggs when I go away. I have been known to boil eggs in hotel room kettles;)

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Kebabs are few a good option, also any burger outlet can give you burgers with salad. McDonald's even let the check the carb content on their website including when you exclude the bun.

A tandoori mixed grill is my "goto" takeaway.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree with the other posts. Try to avoid the convenience stores and fast food outlets. They sell nothing but carbs. I went into a petrol filling station the other day and there was nothing low carb for sale in the whole shop. Not a thing. There wasn't even a brown bread sandwich or packet of nuts to be had. I always carry an emergency pack with cheese and hard boiled eggs when I go away. I have been known to boil eggs in hotel room kettles;)

Please, please tell me you are joking! :)

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If I’m out for the day or on holiday and there is no low carb option I don’t worry about it and have what is available - it’s not the end of the world if I have a few more carbs than usual for a day or two and I can enjoy myself rather than thinking about what, where and how I’m going to have my meal etc

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If I go away to an unknown environment, I always take a few emergency rations - salted nuts, maybe some crisp your cooked bacon, hard boiled eggs, but mainly end up bringing most, if not all of it home.

Over rime, with a bit of thought, it gets a bunch easier to cope, and if you can drop the concept that a meal has to consist of x, y or z, at any given time of the day it helps

I'm overseas at the moment, and my breakfast is tending to be a cheese or agh salad of some sorts, or so Aussie yoghurt when we've been close to the stockists on the way home.

Reactions: lovinglife

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If I’m out for the day or on holiday and there is no low carb option I don’t worry about it and have what is available - it’s not the end of the world if I have a few more carbs than usual for a day or two and I can enjoy myself rather than thinking about what, where and how I’m going to have my meal etc
Last convention we were at was pizza, chips, sausage rolls, pies, - I really wouldn't eat any of those as it would probably shoot my blood sugars through the roof and spoil my day by making me feel rubbish. Not saying I wouldn't be tempted though if I didn't have my own stash :)

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Last convention we were at was pizza, chips, sausage rolls, pies, - I really wouldn't eat any of those as it would probably shoot my blood sugars through the roof and spoil my day by making me feel rubbish. Not saying I wouldn't be tempted though if I didn't have my own stash :)
Appreciate that we are all different and I can tolerate more carbs than many seem to be able to. At conferences I usually eat the sausage meat and pizza topping, have a couple of sandwiches with low carb fillings - usually eggs, ham, cheese or salad and eat most of the garnish. I may even indulge in a couple of chips. Plate looks a bit of a mess though.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I'd rather not, but there are options for stripping the topping from the pizza, pastry from the sausage rolls (although it's not always the highest quality filling in there), or the fillings of a pie.

I've never once come home starving from any outing. Of course there are times when I have either compromised to do as I just described, or have sometimes chosen not to bother with eating, if I can feed well in a credible time span.

Maybe I'm easily pleased.

Reactions: Daphne917

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
M&S simply Food are at BP garages in my part of the world and they have an excellent range for low carbers.

Reactions: Numan

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Appreciate that we are all different and I can tolerate more carbs than many seem to be able to. At conferences I usually eat the sausage meat and pizza topping, have a couple of sandwiches with low carb fillings - usually eggs, ham, cheese or salad and eat most of the garnish. I may even indulge in a couple of chips. Plate looks a bit of a mess though.
I know what you're saying and at a conferences where food is provided doing all that would be fine for me too :)- but somewhere where you are a captive audience and buying the food usually at a premium price buying a piece of pizza, a sausage roll and a couple of sandwiches to pull to bits and discard more than half of it can be expensive. The OPs question was about a specific situation and hence my reply to go prepared:)

Numan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think having a few back up supplies for an emergency would be a good idea just to reassure you in case you struggle to find what you want. I used to suffer with anxiety attack’s and I know how some back up plan/preparing can make an experience better.

Dexterdobe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Being unwell and seeing BG levels soar
About the only good thing to be said about type 2 is that it isn't actually fatal if you have the odd carby meal. Stress can push BG through the roof, so it may be better to eat a sandwich once in a while rather than worry about not being able to find something healthy.