Can anyone help? Trying to work out what spiked me in this meal...

Starfish18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My boyfriend made cottage pie using carrot and swede mash (2 carrots rest swede) dollop of double cream and a bit of butter. I've had this before and it's not spiked me
Mince beef with spinach, mushrooms, soy sauce (he admits he didn't weigh the soy sauce out) kallo organic beef stock pot which is 6g carb per 100g (I've had this before and it didn't spike me)
Savoy cabbage and 6x Brussels
Trying to rack my brain working out whats spiked me! I was 5.9 before tea and 8.0 2 hours later
Tia.

Hotpepper20000

First of all that is a spike but not terrible.
For me, carrots and swede would spike me me as well. Any root vegetables, especially mashed would not be on the menu.

Reactions: Starfish18

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
This is why it is important to test the same meal multiple times before deciding if one can tolerate it. Portion size can also make some difference. I cannot have carrots and the swede definitely depends on the amount on my plate. It is also worth testing twice if you get a reading which surprises you.

Starfish18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is why it is important to test the same meal multiple times before deciding if one can tolerate it. Portion size can also make some difference. I cannot have carrots and the swede definitely depends on the amount on my plate. It is also worth testing twice if you get a reading which surprises you.
I have thought about portion size. I never thought to test twicw. I did test again 3 hrs after the meal and my level was 7.2 so coming down

Reactions: Guzzler

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Try cauliflower mash as a topping - it's delicious and lower in carbs - try diet doctor for the recipe or just google cauliflower mash there are hundreds of different recipes - I add butter, a blob of cream cheese and some grated to mine - the diet doctor shepherd pie is to die for and a massive portion

Reactions: Starfish18

Starfish18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Try cauliflower mash as a topping - it's delicious and lower in carbs - try diet doctor for the recipe or just google cauliflower mash there are hundreds of different recipes - I add butter, a blob of cream cheese and some grated to mine - the diet doctor shepherd pie is to die for and a massive portion
Thank you. I'll look into it

Reactions: lovinglife

nirishdaisy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Thanks for the tip. I was looking for a recipe for the lamb mince I have in the freezer.