28 weeks + 2 days

Moosh97

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all, I’m a type one diabetic and I’m also 28 weeks pregnant I’m starting to think more about my labour and that, I just want to know how everyone else’s pregnancies went and how there labour went.
I’m really nervous about the labour more because if I have a c section I’ll have to have a epidural and I don’t really like the thought about that .

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Hi @Moosh97
I had an epidural and about all I had grasped from antinatal classes was “don’t have an epidural”! But when I began to object at the hospital they explained that it was best for my baby as we were both at risk at that point.
We ended up in The high dependency unit for a few days but eventually all that mattered to me was that we were both ok.
So I would say talk to your team, know your options, but if it comes to an emergency then let medics take charge.
Hope all goes well.

myarnton1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hey @Moosh97, my first pregnancy I was induced at 35+5 due to low blood sugars towards the end. Induction failed and baby became distressed so ended in em c section. I had an epidural, which really wasnt bad at all, they numb everything first, so you can’t feel a thing and I believe you can have gas and air while they are doing it too which relaxes you a lot. Baby was big for gestation, 7lbs 8oz at 36 weeks exactly, but i really struggled with post meal spikes. This pregnancy has been easier and baby is measuring a lot smaller than her sister on the scans. I have decided to go for an elective c section this time, which I’m booked in for on Thursday x