hi there im new on this site,my name is ian and im 59yrs old ,from scotland.

ian15216

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Brexit,!
hi there I would like to say that I was diagnosed with diabetes 2,,2 years ago,and I thought if I ignored it and just took the metformin ,I would be ok!,,couple weeks ago I didn't feel too good and the doc tested my sugar and ran out of the room and came back with a blood sugar metr!,I asked what was up,and she told me my sugar level was 21...….I didn't have a clue what she meant..i know now,as ive been looking online,,,i take a reading every morning and its allways around 6.5,,is this ok?,,im now taking more metformin,,,,,i m useless at this and I don't know how to eat properly...I also had lost a stone in weight,and my arms are very thin and saggy now,she said I may have done muscle damage?...……..im 5feet 5 and im at 10 stone ?

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
What is your diet ... COMPLETE breakdown for starters

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
Hello and Welcome @ian15216 to the Forum :).

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well the good news is that if you head down to the shops and stock up on meat and fish - shellfish if you like it, you are well on the way to eating well with diabetes, and it is possible to regain muscle strength.
I have some good kitchen 'toys' - a Tefal actifry, for instance, a big pack of chicken thighs dropped in there, set the timer and off it goes. You wait for the 'its done' signal and then you throw in some mushrooms - maybe some chopped courgettes and sweet peppers, set it off for a few more minutes whilst the crispy skins on the chicken evaporate - trust me on this - do not turn your back on them if anyone else is around, and then you dish it up and probably have enough chicken for some next day.
I also have a halogen over - with timer, slow cooker, electric grill with temperature sensor. These days if you can turn a dial to the right number, you can cook.
The trick with the diet is avoiding carbohydrates, sugars and starches.
Eat a low carb diet, and it is a doddle.

Reactions: Debandez