Resistant starch

Donnadoobie

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Watched The Truth About Carbs on BBC1 last week. It was good and gave people some good information about eating the right sort of carbs, for the general public, not necessarily diabetics.

The thing that is playing on my mind was the discussion about resistant starch, and why it is good for our bodies, helping gut bacteria. Feeling I may need to look into this.

The examples of how to get resistant starch into the diet was whole grains, potatoes, pasta and rice being cooked, cooled and reheated and freezing bread and putting into the toaster from the freezer. Obviously I wouldn’t consider any of these choices.

I have been looking into lower carb options of resistant starch and have found flaxseed, nuts. What are people’s views on rye or pumpernickel breads? Or any other foods that would help.

I am prediabetic but with a high possibility to go into type 2 with one HBA1c at 49 3 years ago, before going low carb and have been 40, 40 42 subsequent years.

Thoughts?

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The examples of how to get resistant starch into the diet was whole grains, potatoes, pasta and rice being cooked, cooled and reheated and freezing bread and putting into the toaster from the freezer. Obviously I wouldn’t consider any of these choices.
Well done on reducing your HbA1c from 49 to pre-diabetic levels @Donnadoobie.
I have tried the cooking, cooling and reheating potatoes, rice and pasta method. For me it seems to work with the potatoes and rice, but not with the pasta.
I do the toasting from frozen wholemeal bread. I haven't tested before and after, but it doesn't seem to raise my bgs as when I have tested afterwards my bgs are usually ok, around 5.
I tried the Bulgar Wheat which was recommended in the program, but my bgs went from 4.9 before eating to 8.0 two hours later. I will try it again to double check, but it doesn't seem to work for me.
I will try the rye and pumpernickel breads when I see them.

I think the only way to see how they affect you is to try them, testing before and after.

Reactions: Donnadoobie

Spl@

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Humans that only take.
Did faf about with some of the ideas at the beginning of my diabetic journey.

But honestly, there is so much good food in its own right, discovering spices, veg, fish, meats and sausages from around the world. I simply cannot be bothered with trying to find a way to eat frankly boring carb food.
All you do with carbs is put something tasty on them. So skip the carbs and put something tasty on something tasty instead.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Have experimented with potatoes and rice, found both of these to be ok. Causing a less than 2 increase in two hours, using a small portion. 80g of potato, 55g of wild rice. Have not tried larger amounts.
Because we now eat such small quantity of bread , it is nearly always frozen. So have not yet tried comparing how fresh bread affects BG as opposed to frozen.

edited for typo

Last edited:

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Watched The Truth About Carbs on BBC1 last week. It was good and gave people some good information about eating the right sort of carbs, for the general public, not necessarily diabetics.

Wish I had known this was on

Donnadoobie

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

But honestly, there is so much good food in its own right, discovering spices, veg, fish, meats and sausages from around the world. I simply cannot be bothered with trying to find a way to eat frankly boring carb food.

I agree, I miss the convenience of carbs not the taste but really my issue is how can I increase my intake of resistant starch without significantly increasing my carb intake. I eat flax crackers and lots of almonds, which I think fall into RS, but just wondered if others had any other ideas.

M

Member496333

All you do with carbs is put something tasty on them. So skip the carbs and put something tasty on something tasty instead.

Each to their own of course, but I’ve found the same as you. Gave up negotiating with carbohydrate a long time ago. Replaced it with all manner of foods that actually taste nice. Personally I see no value in finding ways to cheat flour and then having to put something on top of it in order to make it palatable :)

Donnadoobie

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Each to their own of course, but I’ve found the same as you. Gave up negotiating with carbohydrate a long time ago. Replaced it with all manner of foods that actually taste nice. Personally I see no value in finding ways to cheat flour and then having to put something on top of it in order to make it palatable :)

I don’t think my OP mentioned anything about ‘cheating flour’ in fact I don’t think wheat is good for any human. I was asking for ideas to increase resistant starch without increasing carbs. Flax and nuts are good sources but was asking for any others. I am not thinking about eating white or beige carbs (described in the programme), I have lived without them quite well for the past 3.5 years.

Obviously there are no other options.

Reactions: Prem51
M

Member496333

I don’t think my OP mentioned anything about ‘cheating flour’ in fact I don’t think wheat is good for any human. I was asking for ideas to increase resistant starch without increasing carbs. Flax and nuts are good sources but was asking for any others. I am not thinking about eating white or beige carbs (described in the programme), I have lived without them quite well for the past 3.5 years.

Obviously there are no other options.

That’s fair. My comment wasn’t meant as disparagement of anyone’s views. I was just agreeing with @Spl@ and using the terminology that makes sense to me personally :)

Reactions: Donnadoobie

Donnadoobie

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It makes sense to me too which is why, after watching the programme, I was wondering if it was possible to do. We know gut bacteria plays a much bigger role than we originally thought and RS apparently helps with this. However might stick with my current diet of increasing fermented foods ( I eat cheese, Greek yogurt) and apple cider vinegar to help with gut bacteria and a daily probiotic tablet ( don’t know if it makes any difference). The search for better gut health continues. Will increase amount of flax seed though.

M

Member496333

It makes sense to me too which is why, after watching the programme, I was wondering if it was possible to do. We know gut bacteria plays a much bigger role than we originally thought and RS apparently helps with this. However might stick with my current diet of increasing fermented foods ( I eat cheese, Greek yogurt) and apple cider vinegar to help with gut bacteria and a daily probiotic tablet ( don’t know if it makes any difference). The search for better gut health continues. Will increase amount of flax seed though.

Sauerkraut is also worth a shot, although I understand that unpasteurised is necessary to get much of a benefit in terms of the microbiome. Tastes lush regardless :D

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Sauerkraut has many benefits but you do have to eat a rather lot of it.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Reuben grilled sandwich was a favorite of mine at one time now the bread required makes it a no no.

Spl@

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Humans that only take.
Some carbs can be made more resistant to passing into the blood stream by cooking, then cooling. Sometimes even freezing then reheating.
From what I have read it can drop the carb value by around 10% but it really depends on your bodys reaction. Some it makes a big difference others (including me) it doesent do squat.

There is some theories/evidence as said by the op that it can help gut bacteria, I'm sticking with veg that has been in our diet for thousands of years over carbs that haven't.

D

Deleted member 308541

The examples of how to get resistant starch into the diet was whole grains, potatoes, pasta and rice being cooked, cooled and reheated and freezing bread and putting into the toaster from the freezer.

I have tried the cooking, cooling and reheating potatoes, rice and pasta method. For me it seems to work with the potatoes and rice, but not with the pasta.
@Donnadoobie, I reheat precooked pasta with no spike problems once I got the portion size right.

Potatoes are ok, as I buy lower carb Spud Lites and do the same thing.

I buy a low carb bread so no need to freeze and toast.

@Prem51, Rice is off of my list as it does not work for me.

Reactions: Prem51