What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Maglil - Apologies if I have missed it, but what's the plan for your tempura batter? I've done tempura-ish batter, using gram flour, but curious of other means.
I came across one that attracted me because it uses sparkling water or soda water as does the traditional mix for tempura.
The recipe was 6 tablespoons whey protein isolate (unflavoured) , 1 tsp baking powder, 1/2 tsp bicarbonate, 1/2 tsp rock salt, 1/2 tsp xanthan gum, 2 eggs and 2 tablespoons sparkling water.

Method was basically chuck everything in a bowl and whisk until smooth. I'm wondering how it would behave with crushed ice in the mix as with traditional tempura mix or do I settle for chilling everything? I feel some experimenting coming on.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I came across one that attracted me because it uses sparkling water or soda water as does the traditional mix for tempura.
The recipe was 6 tablespoons whey protein isolate (unflavoured) , 1 tsp baking powder, 1/2 tsp bicarbonate, 1/2 tsp rock salt, 1/2 tsp xanthan gum, 2 eggs and 2 tablespoons sparkling water.

Method was basically chuck everything in a bowl and whisk until smooth. I'm wondering how it would behave with crushed ice in the mix as with traditional tempura mix or do I settle for chilling everything? I feel some experimenting coming on.
Thanks @maglil55 not sure that concoctions for me, whilst I can cope with the gram flour variant, but as usual, with lox carbing, there are usually alternatives out there.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone, got to post yesterday’s food before I forget
Breakfast: DD breakfast sandwich to line my stomach for boozy day ahead
Lunch: starter was pressed duck leg and a slice of pigeon breast with ‘aromatic broth’ which was poured over my bowl with a flourish at the table. Lots of other pretty looking bits and pieces in there too.
Main was ox cheek - deliciously tender with buttered greens. Sent my first one back as it came on a bed of ‘pomme puree’ which I’d specifically asked them not to do. It would have been too difficult to eat without scraping up some of the spuds.
Pud obviously the cheeseboard and one very small cracker, just wanted the crunch.
Far too much to drink really - large gin and soda before eating, red wine with the meal and 2 glasses champagne afterwards. Don’t regret it though, it was a lovely day and the glorious weather made it even better.

Edit for typo

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi sorry I seem to dip in and out erratically but love catching up with all you foodies posting. Friday night at the pub I chose salt and pepper squid with dressed leaves as my main. When served to a nearby table it looked like squid lightly dusted with aromatics. Anyway 2 hours later my blood had gone up 4 points so there must have been flour in there though I couldnt see/taste any or batter. Shame it was really nice. It came with a pot of sweet chilli sauce and pot of mayo. I tasted a couple with the chilli sauce then pushed it aside so that might have been part of the problem but I hate an unexpected spike!
Yesterday breakfast usual 1 slice HiLo toast heavy on the butter, lots tea.
Lunch was ham salad with one teasp mayo 1 teasp mustard combined.
Supper was homeade chicken curry with cauli rice. Portion on the large side.
Prior 2 G&slimlines. After 10 cal raspberry jelly.
Have boiled piece gammon for this evening at OH request for ham, egg and chips.. Not really my thing I only had ham for lunch yesterday cos the the date of pack was out.
I am defrosting lamb steak for me which will be with brocolli, simple.
Dont know if I will have lunch but plan to be busy in the garden and I have one pack of serrano and manchego rollitos left to fall back on if OH has sandwich.
Have managed without snacking much this week.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks @maglil55 not sure that concoctions for me, whilst I can cope with the gram flour variant, but as usual, with lox carbing, there are usually alternatives out there.
I'm also wondering about oat fibre. I have a bag coming as I'm going to mix the THM baking blend which they insist is a good substitute for flour (plan here is to have a go at pastry by adding baking powder and build up the layers with butter a la puff pastry method). It's an interesting combination.

Reactions: zauberflote

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
if you are anywhere near an Asda they sell a low carb dipping sauce from Blend Bros which is really delicious for a ready made sauce. I like it on roast pork belly.
Sainsburys have them up here apparently. Never noticed them before. I have all the gubbins to make it though.

Reactions: ziggy_w

Emma_369

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone, got to post yesterday’s food before I forget
Breakfast: DD breakfast sandwich to line my stomach for boozy day ahead
Lunch: starter was pressed duck leg and a slice of pigeon breast with ‘aromatic broth’ which was poured over my bowl with a flourish at the table. Lots of other pretty looking bits and pieces in there too.
Main was ox cheek - deliciously tender with buttered greens. Sent my first one back as it came on a bed of ‘pomme puree’ which I’d specifically asked them not to do. It would have been too difficult to eat without scraping up some of the spuds.
Pud obviously the cheeseboard and one very small cracker, just wanted the crunch.
Far too much to drink really - large gin and soda before eating, red wine with the meal and 2 glasses champagne afterwards. Don’t regret it though, it was a lovely day and the glorious weather made it even better.

Edit for typo
What a wonderful menu!!

Reactions: DJC3

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Just back from M&S - went there to get some kippers and came back with loads of yellow sticker bargains. We spent rather a lot on steaks - 10 packs original price was £8 reduced to £2.80

IMG_20190224_140320.jpg

and lots of other goodies.

The lady at the till said its because they change the meal deals and anything left over from the meal deals is reduced - apparently its a regular Sunday morning thing.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Today....

Breakfast: Bacon and eggs (yawn - seriously bored with bacon and eggs now)

Lunch: Another gorgeous smoked salmon and cream cheese roule from (Aldi only 2.6g of carb for the whole 100g container)

Dinner: Roast chicken, sprouts, broccoli, cauliflower, a few bits of carrots cooked in butter, a few roast parsnips, roast sausagemeat stuffing balls, h/m sugar free cranberry sauce

Dessert: Strawberries dipped in melted chocolate (I've had too much cream lately and wanted a change)

Drinks: black decaff coffee, water and (later) some wine

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just back from M&S - went there to get some kippers and came back with loads of yellow sticker bargains. We spent rather a lot on steaks - 10 packs original price was £8 reduced to £2.80

View attachment 31466

and lots of other goodies.

The lady at the till said its because they change the meal deals and anything left over from the meal deals is reduced - apparently its a regular Sunday morning thing.
Think I need to go on Sundays.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chook

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all

@Chook thanks for the M&S Sunday morning tip. Great bargain with the steaks. Will also look out for that cheese in Aldi - don’t usually go to Aldi, but sounds like it’s worth a trip.

@DJC3 sounds like you had a lovely evening.

Didn’t manage my usual OMAD Sunday today. Was playing in the Arsenal for Everyone tournament this morning and found myself very hungry on the train. Had time to dart into a cafe for 2 fried eggs and 3 rashers bacon.

Dinner was roast shoulder of lamb scored, salted and coated with garlic butter and a few sprigs of fresh rosemary. Prepared before leaving this morning so flavour had really seeped into the meat. Delicious. Dessert was whipped Jersey cream (for some reason the extra thick cream had gone runny) with almond butter.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast; a glass of my tumeric and chaga tea followed by a mug of Yorkshire tea.
Lunch; two boiled eggs with a bit of salad and a slice of hemp flour bread
Dinner; home made chili with zero carb rice. Pudding of some joghurt, cream, 5 blackberries and a spoon of home made chocolate granola.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all busy day again today drove up to mums in the fog but it burnt off this afternoon. Helpful as had garden jobs as well as indoor jobs to do
A fair bit of Coffee with cream throughout the day. Made two flasks to take with us.
Dinner handful of walnuts with white wine spritzer, chicken salad and mayo followed by chocolate chia pudding with double cream. Now decaf coffee with cream.
Hope everyone has a good evening. We will be at Barnsley hospital all day tomorrow and then to Toby carvery for dinner so plan to make time for a proper breakfast before we leave to keep us all going through all the waiting with mum for 2 scans, a consultant appt, biopsy and then before finish an audiology hearing aid repair all scheduled for tomorrow - patience will be needed! I’ll also make a couple of flasks to take with me. @DJC3 suffice it to say that I bring my own coffee machine to mums!

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bed 4.9 FBG was 5. Been pretty stable all day which is surprising since the boys are back at swimming lessons. @Chook & @DJC3 - they were certainly my kind of menus. Sounded delicious. Caught up on my washing today as it was a lovely day and the washing went out to dry.
B. Tassimo Americano grande with a dash of cream. Slice of corned beef.
L. Nothing off to swimming.
D. Crackling going nicely in the oven. My usual campari and soda. Roast pork loin and crackling, celeriac dauphinoise (rest are having roast potatoes), green beans and a mini cob and I've made Apple sauce - sugar free of course. I was going to make creme brulees but couldn't be bothered so I'll settle for a couple of squares of Montezuma Black Forest chocolate - was that Emma_632 , Kingmidas or BibaBee that introduced that one? It's seriously good.

Motherhen2014

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People shouting while on their phones.
Today I had: breakfast one boiled egg 1.1/2 slice of ham little butter to mash egg and 6 Olives with garlic and a cup of coffee with butter as suggested.

Lunch two slices chicken salad of lettuce,cucumber and tomato cup coffee

Tea is going to be chicken and tomato if I have anything or it might just be cup of coffee with butter to sustain me through the night.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hope everyone has enjoyed the same glorious weather we had today. I got sheets and towels out to dry too @maglil55 they smell so much nicer dried outside.
@shelley262 good luck to you all for your mum’s day of appointments tomorrow. Impressed at your travelling coffee machine, but totally understandable.
@Chook I also popped into M&S this morning but only found fairly high carb sausages reduced, I agree there are some great bargains to be had if you time it right.
@Goonergal your lamb sounds great.
Ate quite a lot today and have seen very low bgs which I’m under no illusions about - my poor liver is still trying to deal with yesterday’s excesses. I expect tomorrow will be catch up time and I’ll see some higher than usual levels.
Breakfast: Flaxseed roll toasted with butter, marmite and scrambled egg
Lunch: a mini version of @ianpspurs mackerel salad followed by choc chia pud.
Dinner: celeriac dauphinoise, pork medallions, mushrooms and broccoli.
Have developed a sore throat this afternoon so a scoop of Oppo might soothe it I’m thinking.

Emma_369

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.
Breakfast - coffee with one of the little chocolate cakes I made yesterday
Late morning - another coffee with montezuma Black Forest gateau chocolate - @maglil55 dont think I introduced it but I’m very addicted to it!
Late lunch - beef (the best joint I’ve cooked for my preference anyway - still beautifully pink. Then remembered the FIL likes his meat cremated so had to put a couple of slices back in the oven) with sprouts, broccoli, cauliflower, greens beans, 2 tiny new potatoes and some gravy

No dinner as still feeling full but if I do get the urge to snack later will stick to cheese rather than more chocolate :angelic: